Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharunnergirl View Post
This is what my husband refers to as "the race to the middle." As a teacher, I am charged with "differentiating instruction" so that I can meet the needs of all of my students, no matter how disparate their needs and abilities might be. (The argument that grouping students by age is arbitrary and not necessarily the best way of doing things is a topic for another day). Although I try my best to differentiate, when I am overwhelmed by everything I have to do, I don't worry about my advanced students or my students on grade level; I worry about my students who are struggling. They get my full attention, and it is often at the expense of the average and high achievers.

A nice summary of the teacher's predicament.

But to bureaucrats and legislators, those empty words "provide individualized instruction to students, 30 kids at a time" is their path to avoiding accountability for the shameful neglect of their responsibilities for administering public education.

It's just so easy for them to make unrealistic, contradictory demands on teachers, when they themselves have little or no concept of the impossibility of actually performing what they deem routine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
My ex-wife and I realized our son wasn’t up to kindergarten graduation level despite the teacher giving him a pass onto the first grade. We discussed it and had to sign papers at school to hold him back. He was able to improve and truly earn moving up a grade. He had no more problems and was able to go to college when he graduated. I’ve always believed it’s best to hold students back in elementary school if they aren’t developing at the same level.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharunnergirl View Post
This is what my husband refers to as "the race to the middle." As a teacher, I am charged with "differentiating instruction" so that I can meet the needs of all of my students, no matter how disparate their needs and abilities might be. (The argument that grouping students by age is arbitrary and not necessarily the best way of doing things is a topic for another day). Although I try my best to differentiate, when I am overwhelmed by everything I have to do, I don't worry about my advanced students or my students on grade level; I worry about my students who are struggling. They get my full attention, and it is often at the expense of the average and high achievers.
This is one of the reasons I talk about a National Recommended Reading List. When a kid is in 4th grade how does s/he know what is out there to be interested in and how to find good books about the subjects? I pick 4th grade because that is when I stumbled across science fiction books. They contained words, information and ideas that the nuns and other adults never mentioned.

Are "high achievers" just those who are quick at learning what you teach or should they explore things your are not teaching? With e-books and computers and Youtube this should be really easy now.

How a CPU Works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA

Python for Everybody - Full Course with Dr. Chuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DvywoWv6fI

Project Gutenberg will soon have 60,000 books

All Books (sorted by release date) - Project Gutenberg

No doubt plenty of these are obsolete crap. Why they bother with things like anatomy books from the 1850s is beyond me. But plenty of worthwhile stuff is available for nothing besides having a tablet or smartphone.

Omnilingual, by H. Beam Piper
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Omnilingual, by H. Beam Piper

BLACK BEAUTY YOUNG FOLKS' EDITION
The Project Gutenberg eBook of Black Beauty, Young Folks' Edition, by Anna Sewell

BLACK BEAUTY The Autobiography of a Horse
Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell English Quaker (1820-1878)

White Fang, by Jack London
White Fang

I read White Fang when I was in grade school and Black Beauty much more recently. I
think BB is better because of the historical perspective internal to the story. Karl
Marx could have read it. He was in London at the time. And we much never forget the
Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryU...risis-of-1894/

Old 05-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Project Gutenberg will soon have 60,000 books
Forgot to mention:

https://librivox.org/

Many of the public domain works in Project Gutenberg have been read into public domain audiobooks. I had to read The Scarlet Letter in high school. Now I could listen to it while walking to school.

https://librivox.org/the-scarlet-let...l-hawthorne-2/

Old 05-12-2019, 11:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You mean like Shakespeare and the Punic Wars and Plato and so forth? Yeah, what can you do with that stuff? I mean, you can look most of that stuff up on your phone if you need it.
It's part of the long-used process of teaching people how to think. Having a knowledge base is useful in learning how to think. Exercising the brain.

Why not just graduate everyone who knows how to use their cell phones?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
It's part of the long-used process of teaching people how to think. Having a knowledge base is useful in learning how to think. Exercising the brain.

Why not just graduate everyone who knows how to use their cell phones?
I thought mathematics did that.

SF with real science did that better than ancient European history crap.

Sci-fi has become more like fantasy lately.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:06 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,043,296 times
Critical race theory, are you kidding me?.
Time to teach kids about the one subject they don't want us to know about...money.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:44 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
I'll tell you the problem in few words

Create a broken system that works for the rich (good schools in rich areas, bad schools in poor areas)
and then blame the victims

Old 10-15-2021, 01:45 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Time to teach kids about the one subject they don't want us to know about...money.
How about ... grab a book and read about it

Old 10-15-2021, 04:18 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education