Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 03:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The short video was somewhat distressing to view, as it confirms why the majority of this country thinks the Federal Reserve is actually an entity of the Federal government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6pWEzkbnDE

What can be done to improve critical and independent thinking skills in our taxpayer funded facilities?.
I have a dear friend who barely graduated HS, having been diagnosed ADD.
10 years later, she now owns and operates 2 successful businesses; employing college students majoring in industrial psychology.
She thinks I'm the smarter of us, yet at her age I was working for someone else; not making a whole lot of $$ either.
And I graduated private school with an A- average, her a C-.
That is baloney. I learned money management in high school, and my business degree was about managing funds. I am sick to death of people saying "they" and "the government" whenever there is a complaint. Governments exist on taxes, and without the ability to collect taxes government cannot operate. Their sole purpose is to insure their constituents are facilitated to participate in the community economy by redistribution of collected taxes on programs to further economic growth. That requires people to understand where money comes from, why it is necessary, and how to manage it.

If people don't know about money management, it's because A) they didn't pay attention, or B) they thought they would always have enough. There are no laws ANYWHERE that say people cannot be taught to manage personal or business finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 03:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That requires people to understand where money comes from, why it is necessary, and how to manage it.
Most people are "money mad" - believing money tokens have intrinsic value independent of the marketplace of goods and services.
And most eCONomists are apologists for usury - an abomination, as well as mathematically unsustainable in a finite money token system. Anyone who can do future worth calculations can prove that fact.
Frankly, few Americans even realize that a "dollar bill" (Federal Reserve Note) is NOT a dollar. Don't believe me - go ask a sitting judge to rule that a dollar bill is a dollar. I did. He demurred.
Since 1933, no dollars have circulated.

So before you berate the (m)asses, remember that they're all victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry.
Turn your ire on those who are feeding us disinformation and propaganda.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:31 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What is that supposed to mean?

Why wouldn’t a student get an “A” if they get the concept?
That would seem to make sense, but not necessarily. Depends on what is being tested and how the testing is done. Many tests are focused on process and memory, not understanding. Those types of tests are easier to grade, like on a computer for example. They seldom tell you why you got something wrong, or often even fail to say what. Often test scores also depend on a student interpreting the meaning of the question the way the test maker interpreted it. That often works against those who really understand the concept because the more you understand the concept, the more subtleties you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How is somebody supposed to know if a teacher gives everybody an A? I have never heard this information disclosed anywhere.

Even if the principal knows about this, it is unlikely they would even tell you.
It doesn't take long for word to get around in pretty much any school which teachers are easy graders and which are hard.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:54 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It doesn't take long for word to get around in pretty much any school which teachers are easy graders and which are hard.
Yes, of course there are easier teachers and harder teachers.

But a previous poster stated that certain teachers automatically give an “A” to everybody in the class, even if those students don’t deserve that grade. I have rarely seen that level of dumbing down in my nearly 20 years of school, college and graduate school.

So, I’m curious about what schools do this.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:33 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think the political pull of teachers guaranteed they would not be laid off. The "online teaching" option was the absolute least that they could get away with to save face. They were not going to collect salaries for doing nothing but the result was pretty close to that during the pandemic.
So you think it would have been a good idea for kids to just sit home and watch Netflix and play video games for 2 years?

Old 10-01-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's not that online doesn't completely work, it's that it only works for about 25% of students.

What we took for granted in the pandemic was the simple act of showing up for class is half the battle. Online works fine if you have the psychology for it. But a lot of people don't. Only about 1 out of 4 do.
Although different than public school, I looked into a sort of independent learning program that a university had that did require (as I recall) full day Saturday meetings once a month for 3 months; everything else was done online.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:40 AM

One of the things I've noticed in this forum over the past several years is that there are 3 posters (probably a few more than I have noted) who simply HATE everything about our public education system. And together they probably post as much as all the other posters in this part of the forum. Most other posters do show some degree of balance. And that's certainly obvious in this particular thread.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
So before you berate the (m)asses, remember that they're all victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry.
Turn your ire on those who are feeding us disinformation and propaganda.
??? I am not berating anyone; I said the video was baloney and it is. The interviewee in the video said it was against the law to teach money management, and that is why ....
I was directing my views about the video to the person that posted it.

As for disinformation and propaganda, it isn't difficult to see when something is agenda driven so if people are accepting it, that is on them. There is an old saying that has been around for a long while: "Let the buyer beware." Our biggest commodity is information, and if people cannot discern when they are being sold disinformation, they have only themselves to blame.

Old 10-01-2022, 11:43 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
One of the things I've noticed in this forum over the past several years is that there are 3 posters (probably a few more than I have noted) who simply HATE everything about our public education system. And together they probably post as much as all the other posters in this part of the forum. Most other posters do show some degree of balance. And that's certainly obvious in this particular thread.
Yeah, they are persistent, LOL!

And not representative of the public. I think a lot of the public's frustration is because of how the schools handled covid. They closed. But they are supposed to be institutions of public service and support. People felt abandoned. Hell, everyone involved felt abondoned - staff, faculty, students, parents, the public.

I typically defended the system. But even I feel like it let me down during covid. I never felt like wanting to quit so bad.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:11 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Yeah, they are persistent, LOL!

And not representative of the public. I think a lot of the public's frustration is because of how the schools handled covid. They closed. But they are supposed to be institutions of public service and support. People felt abandoned. Hell, everyone involved felt abondoned - staff, faculty, students, parents, the public.

I typically defended the system. But even I feel like it let me down during covid. I never felt like wanting to quit so bad.
The schools did not know how to do distance learning. So it was a steep learning curve.

BUT..it did pay off.

When Ian was heading towards SC all the schools went to "e learning".
And now they are better off for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education