Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:13 PM

18 posts, read 12,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
To be honest IMO it would be better if colleges had entrance exams like they do in germany. If students are good, they won't have any problems solving the problems or answering the questions and get in. The way this system is it's made to be taken advantage of.
This is what the SAT/ACT system in the US is for. Those with lower scores are filtered to 2nd or 3rd-tier state schools, or podunk private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 05:14 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin_Groovy View Post
This is what the SAT/ACT system in the US is for. Those with lower scores are filtered to 2nd or 3rd-tier state schools, or podunk private schools.
...and often end up paying more for the privilege.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Only that tnff has extensive formal education and the broad definition of liberal arts leads to lots of confusion sometimes even acrimony.

IIRC tnff is a physicist. To him math and physics aren't liberal arts.
Being a physicist doesn't change facts. Math and physics ... Along with other sciences are liberal arts. Let's stop changing definitions to align with rhetoric.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:51 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The point is, you get an "arts" degree with a science major, as opposed to what tnff said: "Instead it comes from the common understanding that "liberal arts" means things like, but not limited to English, Lit, Geography, Music, Art, Philosophy, and other non-technical courses."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I have extensive formal education. That doesn't give me or tnff the ability to change definitions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Being a physicist doesn't change facts. Math and physics ... Along with other sciences are liberal arts. Let's stop changing definitions to align with rhetoric.
This argument comes up every time this subject is discussed. To be clear, I know the classic definition of liberal arts. I also know that when talking to the general public, what they mean by "the liberal arts" or "humanities" or philosophy or basically any of the classical studies are all lumped together and used interchangeably to describe any educational path that doesn't lead toward some specific, in their view, useful degree.

If you go back and read my actual statement, you'll see that I was commenting toward whether the public was reacting to the word "liberal" vs my opinion the public is reacting toward their view of what they consider being useless.

Simply put, it doesn't matter what the academic definition is. What matters is what the taxpaying, voting, general public believes it is. Because when the budget gets cut, which department do you think the public is going to support vs which one do they consider not worth the money?

Old 04-06-2019, 05:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Simply put, it doesn't matter what the academic definition is. What matters is what the taxpaying, voting, general public believes it is. Because when the budget gets cut, which department do you think the public is going to support vs which one do they consider not worth the money?
I agree. Fortunately, the general public definition and academic definition line up. It's the few uninformed that throw these discussions off.

If we're cutting public funding to college education, we should cut it all off.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:30 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
As it is, everybody and their mom can go to college, as a result, student debt is insane and lots of people are just dumb and shouldn't be in college at all. What if there were far stricter requirements, say only the smartest most intelligent people were allowed to go to college? Kind of like how it was back in the day?
How intelligent is a person who goes to college and racks up six figure debt? “Back in the day†people either saved for college, they got scholarships, or gasp! they worked while going to school. My daughter will graduate with zero debt because she works 20 hours a week plus baby sits for extra cash. Now that’s intelligent.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Only that tnff has extensive formal education and the broad definition of liberal arts leads to lots of confusion sometimes even acrimony.

IIRC tnff is a physicist. To him math and physics aren't liberal arts.
So what? I'm married to a PhD physicist. Not impressed.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Test them, eliminate all college remedial classes (paid for, but no credit) and return them to the high schools that graduated them, prematurely, to fix their problem. It would expose the sham to increase high school graduation rates.
Now I wouldn't go THAT far. What I would say is that remedial courses are a scam. At least the testing portion of such. The testing I feel is a way for the schools to milk more money out of students. Had I had not had to retake two classes and been able to graduate from community college a semester or so beforehand. I had to take Math 092 and Math 121 and had A's in both. In fact I was an A-student in Math other than introductory algebra (I got a B but maybe better deserved a C because it was French to me even if I did get Math otherwise.) These two could have been swapped with a computer course and a business law course that I needed to retake since I was in a different state from the credits earned and the four-year school I was looking to transfer couldn't take them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think it's just fine for colleges to offer remedial courses if they want to. Many older adults return to college and have forgotten things they learned from 20, 30 or more years ago.

We also don't need adults returning to high school to learn alongside teenagers.
I think it is fine but it shouldn't be forced by testing or suggested by professors early on. Forced through placement testing IMHO is a scam done by the community college systems.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:01 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Would it be better if colleges had much stricter requirements for being allowed in?

Yes, don't allow ANY athletes in !!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:06 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Real universities and colleges are hard to get into and turn away many more applicants than they accept. I believe the fraction of American students attending real universities and colleges is about what it always was - what, maybe 10%?

There are also a lot of entities that call themselves "college" or "university" but lack academic rigor or standards.

Most educated people are able to recognize the difference.

Please name some "real" colleges and universities. Would you consider

Michigan State University
University of Michigan
Texas A&M university
University of Houston
University of Virginia

Emory
Wake Forest

The above are all Alma Maters for myself, my husband, and various family members. I hope we all matriculated from "real" universities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education