Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

In Kansas, students initiated a classroom walkout after the school district embraced computerized teaching method called Summit Learning in response to severe cutbacks in education funding. The learning platform consisted of lesson plans and quizzes that students completed on computer at their own pace. Although families initially liked the idea, it soon became apparent the learning method did not work well. Students reported not learning as well as they did under the guidance of a teacher, the described feeling lonely and isolated, and reported feeling nervous and distracted at school.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/t...gtype=Homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I believe it.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
But... but... it's designed by the finest billionaires in Silicon Valley!

FWIW, I think this is the gist of future education, and it has much potential for very individualized programs and the kind of intense, immediate feedback only a very good teacher with a low student ratio can provide. But this notion that gluing kids to a Chromebook and pumping programmatic material at them constitutes "education" as seen outside Google labs is... ignorant nonsense from tech weens.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Here are two other links about this.

https://boingboing.net/2019/04/22/summit-learning.html

https://www.studentprivacymatters.or...ized-learning/

Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg has repeatedly broken every promise he’s made about keeping personal data private and neither CZI nor the new nonprofit that will take over Summit headed by Zuckerberg’s wife have provided any reason that parents should trust them any more.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
But - it's on the comPUUUUUter, so it must be good!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
But - it's on the comPUUUUUter, so it must be good!
I get your point, but even as someone who started off getting great upper body development doing traditional research (one armload of books at a time), online, digital and multimedia material and learning techniques have tremendous promise. They've just been grossly misused.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
A lot of research has already been done on how effective online education is for people ages 18 to 24. Adult learners (over the age of 24) tend to do fine in online classes, but younger students tend to do worse. If the school districts had read this research, they could have made the educated guess that Summit Learning and similar programs would not work well in high schools.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
A lot of research has already been done on how effective online education is for people ages 18 to 24. Adult learners (over the age of 24) tend to do fine in online classes, but younger students tend to do worse. If the school districts had read this research, they could have made the educated guess that Summit Learning and similar programs would not work well in high schools.
More to the point, perhaps, they would have designed the interaction for the age group.

Online learning tends to be designed by two completely inept groups: educational consultants (when not educational academics) and software developers. "Those who can't teach... design teaching systems."

Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I get your point, but even as someone who started off getting great upper body development doing traditional research (one armload of books at a time), online, digital and multimedia material and learning techniques have tremendous promise. They've just been grossly misused.
Of course, in this day and age no one could dispute that.

Remember, though, you need to choose the tool for the job. Just because you can do something on the computer doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times
I'm 22...this is what the future holds for us and sometimes, I wonder why I'd want to live to see it at all. Too many electronics, too many people glued to their phones (I'm part of this, unfortunately), too much advancement. I sound like a Luddite now, but it's just scary to me that one day, people will go to school, plug themselves into their government assigned iMac and absorb their lesson for the day through USB 10.

OBVIOUSLY the last part was a massive exaggeration and would never happen, but I think y'all can see what I might mean. Maybe I'm afraid of the future and afraid of advancement, but maybe it's normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education