Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 7,295,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This isn't a math test per se, it is a memorization test. The students aren't working out the math problems, they are recalling math facts. When you do multiplication tables, you don't do the 7x7x7x7x7 = 35, you memorize 5 x 7 = 35. Now-a-days, adding and subtracting are taught by the same method.
The test being discussed here is on subtraction, not times tables.

I wonder if the child has special needs or ADHD and hasn't been diagnosed yet. I noticed he did not capitalize his first and last name, which is kind of basic. If he has special needs then that's all the more reason to refrain from writing disparaging comments on his paper.

I have no idea how many simple subtraction problems the average 2nd grader is expected to solve in 3 minutes. He got 11 correct out of 13 answered which is pretty good, percentage-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:02 PM

346 posts, read 547,338 times
It took me a few seconds and a couple of groans at the name "Kamdyn". But once I got passed that, I noticed the same thing that you did: The note was directed at the child's parent(s)! I mean... the teacher could have and should have worded it differently, or communicate via e-mail or something to show his concern that the test result was poor by whatever standard was set, but as a parent I would appreciate being in the loop from their teachers. If I'm Kamdyn's dad, I would be more concern and ashamed of myself rather than be pissed at the teacher... but maybe I'm in the minority with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Hmm.. the message sounds like it is toward the adult.

"Absolutely pathetic. He answered 13 in 3 minutes! Sad."

"He", is referring to the child. The message was not "you answered 13..."

While the child saw the note written but to me, the message was toward the parent. It wasn't that long ago when I had to sign some my kids test (I believe it was all the way up to 5th grade). This is the reason why the dad needs a conference with the teach/and or administrator.

What the teacher did required an explanation. If the father finds that the administration isn't handling this properly, it's time to go to social media. First reaction shouldn't be social media unless all you want is attention.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,970,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This isn't a math test per se, it is a memorization test. The students aren't working out the math problems, they are recalling math facts. When you do multiplication tables, you don't do the 7x7x7x7x7 = 35, you memorize 5 x 7 = 35. Now-a-days, adding and subtracting are taught by the same method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The test being discussed here is on subtraction, not times tables.

I wonder if the child has special needs or ADHD and hasn't been diagnosed yet. I noticed he did not capitalize his first and last name, which is kind of basic. If he has special needs then that's all the more reason to refrain from writing disparaging comments on his paper.

I have no idea how many simple subtraction problems the average 2nd grader is expected to solve in 3 minutes. He got 11 correct out of 13 answered which is pretty good, percentage-wise.
I know it was subtraction - taught by memorization. Wonder how the rest of class did?

Old 04-29-2019, 01:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,468,668 times
7x7x7x7x7=16807, and I'm bad at math.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:44 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,551,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Story: https://turnto10.com/news/nation-wor...for-her-firing

I am appalled at this lapse in judgement on the part of the teacher.

Give the kid a 1st place trophy and tell them everything will be great forever and they are indeed "special."

Old 04-29-2019, 04:04 PM

7,154 posts, read 3,970,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
7x7x7x7x7=16807, and I'm bad at math.
HaHaHa

correction 7+7+7+7+7

Good thing I already passed second grade math!

Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 PM

773 posts, read 453,414 times
This isn’t about being a “snowflake”. This is flat out unprofessional behavior and outright unhelpful rudeness on the part of the teacher. This remark speaks widely about her character as well.

A fundamental part of being a teacher is accepting that not every student will be a valedictorian, and there are widely varying amounts of ability and intelligence among children. If she can’t or won’t accept that, the teacher profession is not right for her.

I suspect if the teacher in question continues to display this sort of behavior towards students, her career will be short-lived.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 04-29-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,732,434 times
OP: how do you feel when a student gets a paper back and there is an F on it? Because that means FAILURE. To me, that is worse than pathetic (or at least as bad).

So is it the word "pathetic" you are bent out of shape about? What exactly is it? It sure seems snowflakeish.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:47 PM

773 posts, read 453,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
OP: how do you feel when a student gets a paper back and there is an F on it? Because that means FAILURE. To me, that is worse than pathetic (or at least as bad).

So is it the word "pathetic" you are bent out of shape about? What exactly is it? It sure seems snowflakeish.
I can’t help you if you can’t tell the difference between writing F and pathetic. Obviously many agree with me as this post has gone viral on Facebook and there are literally thousands calling for her termination.

What if she dropped an F-bomb before pathetic? Would that be acceptable too? Where is the line drawn?

Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,400,766 times
How do you give a 3 minutes test? What is the point of a 3 minute test for 2nd graders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education