Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,780,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Both Bronx Science and Stuyvesant are very heavily Asian. I don’t consider either one ethnically diverse and neither do most New Yorkers, up to and including the mayor.

Great schools? Without a doubt. Diverse? Not even close.

And yes. Add Whitney Young to the list.
There is ethnic diversity amongst Asian students. You have Indians, Koreans, Pakistanis, Chinese, etc. A lot of the white students are probably first generation immigrants from Eastern Europe. Add the income diversity, and I'd say the schools still qualify as diverse.

You're right that they lack Hispanic and African American students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
There is ethnic diversity amongst Asian students. You have Indians, Koreans, Pakistanis, Chinese, etc. A lot of the white students are probably first generation immigrants from Eastern Europe. Add the income diversity, and I'd say the schools still qualify as diverse.

You're right that they lack Hispanic and African American students.
Correct that of course, not all Asian students share the same national heritage. But neither do all Hispanic or black students. While most of us can understand the difference between Korea and Bangladesh, Nigeria or New York, Puerto Rico or Mexico, Albania or Israel, these differences are of relatively little difference when you look at the big picture, and I don't think that's all bad when we talk about ethnic diversity. If we didn't use the four large groups, we'd be missing the forest for the trees.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
How about Denver East?
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/0...s-competition/
"Team from Denver’s East High School wins national We the People civics competition"

Very diverse. Demographics:
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/e...-profile/80206

Old 05-01-2019, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I will continue to appreciate FREE college instead of High School. Glad my kids were availed this option.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

I can't think of any benefit of HS age segregated learning environments (except for making more clones).

10's of thousands of HS aged students get great academics, social benefits, experienced profs, diversity of age and talent and skill (classmates and educators and community).

Saving 2-4 yrs of college tuition assists many students and parents to better contribute to the economy and society, than to EDU facilities.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Best High Schools In Terms of Academics/Diversity In The US

Notre Dame HS, East Stroudsburg, PA is the best high school in the U.S. for a combination of academics and diversity.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually, it does have a lot to do with how the students perform.

Students feel safer in school and in life when they are educated in a diverse setting. Students are able to learn about different cultures and backgrounds, allowing them to feel a greater sense of comfort with these differences. That in turn makes them more comfortable with themselves, leading to a deeper sense of safety.

Diverse classrooms play an essential role in career preparation. Students are entering job markets with diminishing concern for community or national boundaries.

https://tcf.org/content/facts/the-be...eed=1&agreed=1
A). Your link is almost completely about socioeconomic diversity. And the claim is that kids from from lower incomes perform better when they are around/taught with kids of higher incomes relative to like cadres of lower income kids not associated with kids of higher incomes.

1). That should surprise no one.
2). There's rarely any mention if the higher income kids are hindered by all of this.
3). I'll just go ahead and reject much of your speech after the link. My oldest, who is white, is a brilliant kid via his academic successes his close fellow students and good friends from grades 3-12 were overwhelmingly middle class and up white, East Asian or South Asian. Much the same for our daughter though to a lesser degree. Neither has any problems/hang-ups with anyone.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Great question. One that hasn't ever really been fully fleshed out imo. Yes, there are some advantages to being exposed to people different than you (I guess), but there are also some pretty obvious advantages to being in a homogeneous society where people look, act, possess similar values, and generally see eye to eye with you.

The reality is that in my area, the more "diverse" something is (diverse simply meaning more non-white and probably non-east asian), the "worse" it is. Lower property values, higher crime, lower performing schools, etc. This may not be true in all areas, but around here it is. I've never quite understood why being diverse in and of itself is such a great thing. I want my family to be in the best opportunity to succeed. If that means going to the best schools, and those schools are "diverse", then great. But if the teachers at the school that is 90% white/asian are better, then I'm going to need some convincing that the "diverse" school is better.
Racial diversity means a variety of racial backgrounds represented--a school that is 99% black is no more diverse than a school that is 99% white.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM

565 posts, read 721,958 times
McNair high school in Jersey City. One of the best High schools in the state and country, and with 55% economically disadvantaged students (economic diversity). Students are 46% Asian (mix of south and east), 18% African American, 17% hispanic of any race, 18% Caucasian. No stats on religion, but if it's like the rest of J.C., it's very diverse in that area too.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Isn't it amazing there are all these "best high schools"? Does this not seem a bit silly? We can't all move to NYC or wherever. My husband's high school in Nebraska considers itself one of the best in the country as well, the "Boston Latin of the Midwest". LOL!

Old 05-02-2019, 10:30 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^Isn't it amazing there are all these "best high schools"? Does this not seem a bit silly? We can't all move to NYC or wherever. My husband's high school in Nebraska considers itself one of the best in the country as well, the "Boston Latin of the Midwest". LOL!
I'm a Texan but my wife and I have places in NYC, Dallas and until recently San Francisco. One of life's imponderables how glaringly and ignorantly provincial so many people from either coast can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education