Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

Oh I wish I would have ... I have deep regrets about my teenage years because when I was a teenager; I decided I didn’t want to end up being old with a lot of regrets. The irony ...

I hadn’t set foot in a school for almost 2 years when my Senior Prom was held in 1986. My son was about 5 months old & we were living in a 325 sq ft, 1 bedroom apartment.

I returned to school later that same year but for college, not High School. So, no Prom. I graduated college but I took toddlers to the pediatrician for ear infections during spring break (I swear every year!) instead of going to Cabo. I’ve been married twice but never got to have a wedding.

Now Im 51 & I find myself looking at the beautiful dresses & trying to think up a scenario where I might be able to wear one. I don’t know why it’s the dresses that get to me. It sounds silly, or trivial but that’s what gets to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never went to a prom. No one wanted to date me in high school. Back in the 70s, you didn't get to go to the prom unless a boy asked you. A few bold girls might have begun to ask boys, but it was still rare, and groups going uncoupled the way they do now was not yet in practice.
I went stag to every high school, college and post-college dance that there was.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Went to both. The rent on my tux my junior year (1973) cost me $23. Needed some new black shoes to go with it. Those were $3 at Fred's. Think my tux my senior year cost me more. Still didn't go over $30. With tux rental, shoes, her flowers, and taking her out to eat (local steak house buffet), plus the gas I had to put in my dad's car (Any time I borrowed the car for a date, rule was the gas gauge better be at the same spot when I bring it home as when I left), I may have spent right around $50. Glad I had a part time job! I paid for it all. And her mother made her dress both years.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:43 PM

99 posts, read 56,873 times
Nope. The idea of standing around in an uncomfortable suit with a bunch of people that I hated while listening to awful music doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:51 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I didn't go my junior year but went my senior year with my girlfriend at the time. I'm glad I went to at least one prom. All three of my kids went to at least one, in fact, I think my one daughter went to three.

Our prom in 1973 was in both the HS cafeteria and gym. The school was new and a lot of decorating took placed. We had our post prom at a ski resort. You had to ride a school bus to the post prom and it lasted until 4:30 or 5:00 AM. We went to breakfast after we rode the school bus back to the high school.

Proms are much more expensive today. I doubt that any high school still holds a prom in the school the way we did. The local high schools start with a grand march in the HS auditorium and they typically travel a distance (more than 50 miles) to a hall, hotel, or river boat. Post proms are more casual and often held at a place like Dave & Buster's.

We have had the past couple class reunions at the same place we had our post prom. And yes, I've gone to most of the class reunions and have enjoyed them also.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
At our school the Junior and Senior prom were held together as a single event. In my Junior year I went with my then boyfriend.

I remember the excitement of dress shopping, trying to find just the right one. The sales lady at the store ended up taking a dress out of her layaway stash and selling it to me because the only one left on the rack was not a good fit. We must have spent an hour in that one store trying on dress after dress. The prom dress was so elegant and had classic styling that it still hangs in my closet to this day. The last time I pulled it out and put it on, it fit like a glove.

My date brought an orchid corsage, and we doubled with my best friend and her date to the prom. It was held at a hotel by the Queen Mary in Long Beach, and back then in the 80s the prom would have a theme/song. It was Make It Last Forever by Keith Sweat. The cost was $75 per couple, included plated dinner, dancing and live music/DJ.

I'm very glad that I went, I had a great time, and I didn't end up going to the prom my senior year so was glad I went to the one my junior year. I think it is a rite of passage and if one has the opportunity and can attend they certainly should. I understand that it is not for everyone, based on income/finances, social anxiety, lack of partner, etc. It was one of the first times I felt like a 'grown up' doing something fancy.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Oh boy did I. The junior class had fund raisers all year long and we got Stan Kenton and the Palmer House ballroom in downtown Chicago for the prom. I wore a strapless blue fluffy dress and went with my bf. The senior prom I wore a pink ruffled strapless dress and went with the same bf. After both proms, we packed a picnic and drove to the Michigan dunes for the day. It was marvelous and I loved high school !

Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I went to 3 proms, Sophmore, Jr and Sr years of high school. Loved them all, and all that great music of the 50's...sweet innocence and glad I had those years.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
No no. I hated my school and I never got what a "prom" is all about.
But we also did not have a graduation ceremony for my kindergarten class and I didn't miss that either.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Went to my junior, and date's senior proms (2 proms in same year). In an era (1970's) where prom wear was pastels, gauzy dresses, I made my own ensemble, Bright red satin fabric with large royal blue flowers on it. TG all pics are destroyed. What was I thinking? Years later, the senior prom date called me up to tell me he was gay. It was not exactly a secret when we were in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education