Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Asians do well "today" because of the type of Asians that came to the US in the past few generations...

It's no different than the first generations of Cubans, the higher educated/wealthier/skilled immigrated to the US. Is it a surprise that their kids do better when they have the privilege of parents that are educated/wealthier/skilled?

If you go back further in history, the Asians who came here to work on the railroads out west, their kids did not do so well, because those Asian immigrants were grunt labor. The mexicans replaced them, so those Asians stopped being imported.
In reference to the italic and blue - that's also applicable to earlier generations of European immigrants to the USA. The Northern or Western Europeans in the 19th century tended to have more education and skills (often urban dwellers), so they progressed faster than the ones from Southern Italy, who were often uneducated peasants, because they had skills readily usable in the rapidly industrializing economy.

Heck, my parents came to the USA for grad school - they didn't have money, but they had the skills and social capital to do well here. Your Korean American greengrocer, dry cleaner, or convenience store owner may have been a teacher, engineer, scientist or salesperson back home, so they also had skills and the wherewithal to do well, so it's not really surprising to send their kids to UCLA.

In reference to the bold, it wasn't just that the early Asian immigrants who worked on the railroad and tended the fields were contract laborers --- they and their descendents were also prevented or excluded from many fields of employment. You know, good old fashioned racism and exclusion. The Mexicans replaced the Chinese because of racist immigration legislation like the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act, which pretty much all but choked off Chinese immigration for several decades.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-11-2019 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
In other words you have no counter argument.
That's right. He's abandoned his science denialism and is now just trying to win the thread by going prolix and writing long and boring screeds that no one has the time to read, let alone respond to.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're just plain darned wrong.

In the early 1960s the black poverty rate was around 50%. It's now around 20-22%.

The idea that all black people are poor is kind of stereotypical. A majority of black people are not poor.

And as the single motherhood rate went up so did the increase in completing high school and college, crime also went down in black America and incomes rose, so not sure how you can "blame" those who are still poor on single motherhood. IMO that excuse is a cop out and ignores the legacy of systematic racism in this country.

The "history" (i.e legacy of systematic racism in this country) really is a reason why the poverty rate is over 20% in black America today. Over 50% of black Americans lived in poverty in the 1950s BTW back when more black couples were married, so the poverty rate has also decreased but could still be improved.

In the past 10 years the drop out rate has heavily decreased. Latinos now are the "minority" to drop out the most, not black students. Black females in particular, their graduation rate is equal to that of white America at large. There is progress needed for black males but they also are at the highest rate they have ever been. Blacks also graduate college today at the highest levels that there has ever been.

Anyway, it seems that your real intention is to use Asian Americans as a tired stalking horse to bash Black people.

Appreciate your stats above Silverkris...hopefully more will take note rather than just feeding off of old stereotypes.

Proud to have graduated from a diverse University where ALL races/economic levels graduate at or above the level of whites and is one of the highest on the new Social Mobility Index created on US News and World Report Rankings. Hopefully there will be more parity for other Universities to follow this lead in the future, and watch their rankings rise on US News.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post

Proud to have graduated from a diverse University where ALL races/economic levels graduate at or above the level of whites

I've been in the higher education game one way or another for a long time. I doubt very seriously your claim as written is correct.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I've been in the higher education game one way or another for a long time. I doubt very seriously your claim as written is correct.

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2018/0...-news-rankings

It is. Look at my alma mater link at The University of California Riverside above. Jumped 39 spots on 2019 US News (to #85 nationally). Biggest jump of ANY college in the country! Hopefully more will follow the Social Mobility Index and rise in US News ranks too. ALL UC schools did well in this metric as well.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Calculus instead of hip hop?
Clarinet instead of gang membership
Just guessing
There are Asian-American gangs, as well as Asian gangs with operations in America.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I'm curious what's so different about Asians compared to other minorities. I've been looking at Greatschools.org stats and it doesn't matter if it's east coast or west coast, Asians do well at school and follow white stats closely but there's a HUGE disparity with Hispanics and blacks.

In San Diego I noticed a majority Asian school in a mid/low income neighborhood do great (at least on paper) comparable to wealthy majority white areas. In this particular school even the other minorities do higher than state average.
Although looking at other stats, San Diego county seems to be doing good with schools in general. But yeah, why are Asians different and what can we do to improve the school experience/results for other minorities?

1) Strong emphasis on education. Children are EXPECTED to do well and parents keep them focused on their education.

2) Strong, intact families. Parents and grandparents are often there to support and work with the children from an early age.

Thirty years ago, I stumbled into a pho restaurant in a Midwestern city. Mom and Dad were Vietnamese refugees who were learning English. They had a small restaurant with six tables. The kids showed up to work everyday. There was a card table set up for the kids to study.

Fast forward, the tow children are doctors. The parents still run the restaurant that has expanded several times.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2018/0...-news-rankings

It is. Look at my alma mater link at The University of California Riverside above. Jumped 39 spots on 2019 US News (to #85 nationally). Biggest jump of ANY college in the country! Hopefully more will follow the Social Mobility Index and rise in US News ranks too. ALL UC schools did well in this metric as well.
No. I'm talking about your claim that all racial and income groups at CR do as well or better than whites as a cadre. You and I both know that's not true.

I didn't spend any time digging but I found a UCR chart showing that 6 year graduation rates were lower for Latinos than caucasians. That alone invalidates your claim.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:50 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Some Asians, eastern Asians. Not Filipinos, Hmong, and a view others.

According to J. Philippe Rushton, The University of Western Ontario and Arthur R. Jensen, University of California, Berkeley in Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 2005, Vol. 11, No. 2, 235–294, THIRTY YEARS OF RESEARCH ON RACE, DIFFERENCES IN COGNITIVE ABILITY Ashkenazi Jews have the highest average IQ (110) followed by east Asians (105) followed by whites (100).

You do realize that Semitic people are Asian & Sub-Saharan and later European\Caucasian people which are divided into two primary groups (1) Ashkenazi (2) Sephardic (which have less) caucasian DNA than the Ashkenazi...the.eastern european caucasian Jewish Community...Poland...USSR..Germany...Ashkenazi.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
1) Strong emphasis on education. Children are EXPECTED to do well and parents keep them focused on their education.

2) Strong, intact families. Parents and grandparents are often there to support and work with the children from an early age.

Thirty years ago, I stumbled into a pho restaurant in a Midwestern city. Mom and Dad were Vietnamese refugees who were learning English. They had a small restaurant with six tables. The kids showed up to work everyday. There was a card table set up for the kids to study.

Fast forward, the tow children are doctors. The parents still run the restaurant that has expanded several times.
This isn't limited to Asian American families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education