Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 12:18 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times

Advertisements

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.ranker.com/list/jennifer...inigo-gonzalez

Old 08-12-2019, 12:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
This is precisely the answer to the OPs question. And is also the answer to many of the problems of the currently underperforming groups.

Its a shame that left-wing "allies", their thinking anchored in cultural relativism and proletariat victimhood dogmas, seek to explain away asian success as the result of favorable external factors and discourage other groups from learning useful strategies from them.
Naw, miss me with the concern trolling and the extolling of the model minority myth.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:28 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are very few Asian gangs and very many black and latino gangs in America.

The difference is quite obvious.
There are also many times more black and latino people in the US than there are Asian people.

While the percentage of participation might also be lower, this idea that Asian-Americans are almost universally a virtuous, high-achieving monolith simply isn't true.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Fair enough. But can you agree that the things you suggest people "just do" are cost prohibitive to many people?
Asian people make terrible sacrifices so their kids get good grades and music lessons I see it every week up close

Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I'm curious what's so different about Asians compared to other minorities. I've been looking at Greatschools.org stats and it doesn't matter if it's east coast or west coast, Asians do well at school and follow white stats closely but there's a HUGE disparity with Hispanics and blacks.

In San Diego I noticed a majority Asian school in a mid/low income neighborhood do great (at least on paper) comparable to wealthy majority white areas. In this particular school even the other minorities do higher than state average.
Although looking at other stats, San Diego county seems to be doing good with schools in general. But yeah, why are Asians different and what can we do to improve the school experience/results for other minorities?
Academically inclined Asians set a very high standard which others should study, understand, and emulate. Most academically inclined Asians I know value higher education and approach academics methodically and systematically. For some Asians I've personally met, academic practice and repetitiveness is akin to those of us who regularly work out at the gym. It's a mental workout, and it works!

IMHO, this approach should - in theory - work for anyone. However, cultural inclinations may preclude others from the typical Asian approach to higher academics.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Over and over here and other places I keep seeing people post stuff like, "All teenagers do M," or "Who hasn't YZ'd when they were kids?"
Where M, Y, and Z = dumbass, counterproductive behavior (partying, drugs, drinking and driving, fights, shoplifting, skipping school, etc).

It is a culture that excuses bad behavior and irresponsibility like it's normal (even expected), and I even see people act like there is something wrong with you if you don't engage in these behaviors.

In asian cultures, these are loser behaviors. Counterproductive. Shameful.

The "nerd herd" (asian and non-asian alike) might have been teased and thought of "lame" or uncool for actually caring about their future and having the self-respect to follow the rules, but this stuff plays out...and at the end we don't really have to wonder why so-and-so is more "successful," etc.

Have standards and pride and discipline and some freaking character. Those are not asian things. Plenty of people do it.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:26 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
1) Strong emphasis on education. Children are EXPECTED to do well and parents keep them focused on their education.

2) Strong, intact families. Parents and grandparents are often there to support and work with the children from an early age.

Thirty years ago, I stumbled into a pho restaurant in a Midwestern city. Mom and Dad were Vietnamese refugees who were learning English. They had a small restaurant with six tables. The kids showed up to work everyday. There was a card table set up for the kids to study.

Fast forward, the tow children are doctors. The parents still run the restaurant that has expanded several times.
Does that happen in East LA or South Central LA too?

Old 08-13-2019, 05:20 AM

459 posts, read 698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are very few Asian gangs and very many black and latino gangs in America.

The difference is quite obvious.
Also Asian youth grow out of the gang phase, the others keep it well into adulthood.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:39 AM

459 posts, read 698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
This is precisely the answer to the OPs question. And is also the answer to many of the problems of the currently underperforming groups.

Its a shame that left-wing "allies", their thinking anchored in cultural relativism and proletariat victimhood dogmas, seek to explain away asian success as the result of favorable external factors and discourage other groups from learning useful strategies from them.
The reason I am bringing this up is because I have a 6 year old who is going to a predominantly Latino and black school. We chose it because of their dual immersion program and my wife and I aren't that concerned about test scores. I was looking at my child's classmates' activities (my 6 year old showed me how he logs into his classmates' reading assignments) and I noticed that my son was WAY ahead in terms of completion than others. It's more surprising because compared to other Asians I am pretty lax, I am not the tiger parent that I know I should be. We read to him every night and encouraged him to do a few activities before play but that's it.

I personally feel that education should be more about experiences and intellectual stimulation than test scores so I am not that concerned or pushy but still, that bothered me. It looks like most kids just did the bare minimum in class and nothing else.

The target reading level for their year was level 3 (whatever that means) but my son's teachers called us specifically to say that ours was at 7. They wanted to tell us because the reports only shows whether they met the goal and not their actual level.

I felt bad because I know these kids personally and they are great kids. I would want to encourage them and help them more but I honestly don't know where to start and where the disparity is.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Naw, miss me with the concern trolling and the extolling of the model minority myth.
In other words you don't have a legitimate counter response.

No one is claiming that "Asians" as an extended group are perfect. However, you must be in a dreamstate to project that "Asians" don't outperform blacks, Latinos and whites in K-12, college, graduate and professional schooling and ultimately financial success as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education