Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That is not always the case in foreign languages. In Spanish you have 'el' and 'la'..which do you choose now ?
Well, I don't speak fluent Spanish, but if I did, I'd probably just ask the person what they preferred. Or wait for them to say something that indicates the way they identify. Pretty much same as I do with English speaking people...

There's already been a lot of discussion about this issue, however. Here's one article about it:

https://remezcla.com/culture/les-gen...un-in-spanish/

It's important to remember that language always evolves over time regardless. People today speak differently than they did 200 years ago, and that will continue to happen into the future.

So if there's ever an issue with not having a word for something, the solution is simple: Make a new word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
For whom?

You can pretend to be (identify "as") a penguin, doesn't mean you are a penguin.
I'm well aware of what people like you think. You can have your opinions, but they won't stop progress. Trans people are here to stay, and they will be loved, supported, and defended by the good among us.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
A post from my nieces teacher:

Attention teacher friends- I am a Spanish teacher in Buffalo Grove and my team has decided how to incorporate asking for pronouns in a non-invasive way since we teach 6, 7 and 8th grade and the kids may be shy about it. We are having each student record their first and last name to assist us in pronunciation (using Me llamo... of course, LOL) and they are then to add- and my preferred pronouns are... We have given them examples of what we would be saying if we were doing the assignment and the kids are submitting through our online classroom system. Who else pledges to start the year asking for pronouns?

Is this just overly progressive and confusing?
Yes. It's also stupid, and makes zero sense.

"they are then to add - and my preferred pronouns are..."

Why?

Just do your job and teach the MIDDLE SCHOOL kids the damned Spanish and if the "they" need "preferred pronouns"... send them to their parents or the school social worker/whatever.

The world doesn't revolve around "they".

What's next?

Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
In my organization, I've noticed that only women put their preferred pronouns in their email signature, and it's always she, her, hers.

Accomplishes nothing....
My church includes our preferred pronouns on the nametags we have available to wear. It's part of our mission statement of being welcoming and inclusive.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post

I'm well aware of what people like you think. You can have your opinions, but they won't stop progress. Trans people are here to stay, and they will be loved, supported, and defended by the good among us.
No, you aren't aware.

What "progress"?

If one is "trans" haven't they already figured it out?

Or do they get to ebb and flow and demand that they be asked which "pronouns" they are "feeling" on any given day?

Can't have it every which way "they/he/she/maybe" want it.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:54 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
For whom?

You can pretend to be (identify "as") a penguin, doesn't mean you are a penguin.

. . .

If it walks like (and looks like) a duck. It's a duck.

What is the proper pronoun for a penguin or a duck? I see your duck is an "it."

I know someone who has a female parrot and refers to her as "him." When the parrot started laying eggs several years ago, the owner tried switching to "her," with little success, eventually slipping back to "he." (See how I avoided gendered pronouns for the person?) This parrot doesn't speak "human," though, so it has not made its pronoun preference know. (Eggs ought to be a clue, but the world has become a more complicated place since the old bird was born.)

Old 08-16-2019, 06:05 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
It's becoming pretty common to express what your pronouns are. I think it's a good thing. It will slowly remove people's tendency to assume pronouns. I usually make an effort to use gender-neutral pronouns anyway when I don't know what the person prefers.
Well, you live in California, but I assure you that it has not caught on yet in many other states. In the past year, I have been in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Wisconsin -- and I did not encounter even one single instance of anyone using anything but the traditional pronouns. (And I personally will never use them.)

Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Trans people are here to stay, and they will be loved, supported, and defended by the good among us.

So you know who is "good" and who is not by how they much they support trans people? You're not at all arrogant, are you?

When Bruce Jenner first transitioned to being Caitlyn, I read many articles written by medical professionals and trans people themselves to educate myself; and I will never join the ranks of people who will show hatred and even violence to anyone just because they are different from most other people. I do know that there are many people who truly are transgendered -- and, yes, they do have my sympathy (and I am sorry if that offends some people).

However, I am disgusted with how so many people defending the rights of trans people try to force people into believing that they must walk on eggshells regarding how they speak just in case someone might be a different sex/gender than what their appearance suggests and how some females in some states are being forced to share changing rooms with people who look 100% male, for less than 1% of the population. And I am especially outraged at those parents who would inflict sex change surgery or hormones on young teens -- or even, possibly, even younger children. However, once a person reaches the age of 18 and truly believes that "he" is a "she" (or vice versa) and can convince reputable doctors of that, I think having a sex change operation would be just fine (as long as it is not done for a murderer at the taxpayers' expense*) -- but not before then.

* https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...106-story.html

* https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...change-surgery

Last edited by katharsis; 08-16-2019 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post

Is this just overly progressive and confusing?
You are the sex you are born with, no matter what surgery you have or how many hormones you take. Period.

But as far as gender pronouns or how someone identifies their gender that is up to them. I wouldn't encourage it in primary school, but it seems like a topic that could be raised in high school when one could hope that the kids might have a better understanding of themselves...though there is no guarantee of that for sure.

I worked with a mtf transgender adult, who had surgery and married a heterosexual man. It was four years before I even realized she was transgender. It was no BFD to me and she and I were good friends at work. In two years following her husbands death, she changed her mind and wished to have her surgery reversed.

In my neighborhood there were two mtf adults (whether they had surgery I do not know.) I doubt most people in the neighborhood who saw them had a clue, and for those who did....it simply didn't matter. Or if it did it did not become a cause celebre in the neighborhood. These people did not transgender until they were in their twenties, but the entire issue was at a different level of public discussion back then.

The overall social issue has changed considerably since these men changed gender. Nevertheless, I would think that this is something where the parents' thoughts would take precedence.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:48 AM

538 posts, read 385,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
So you know who is "good" and who is not by how they much they support trans people? You're not at all arrogant, are you?

When Bruce Jenner first transitioned to being Caitlyn, I read many articles written by medical professionals and trans people themselves to educate myself; and I will never join the ranks of people who will show hatred and even violence to anyone just because they are different from most other people. I do know that there are many people who truly are transgendered -- and, yes, they do have my sympathy (and I am sorry if that offends some people).

However, I am disgusted with how so many people defending the rights of trans people try to force people into believing that they must walk on eggshells regarding how they speak just in case someone might be a different sex/gender than what their appearance suggests and how some females in some states are being forced to share changing rooms with people who look 100% male, for less than 1% of the population. And I am especially outraged at those parents who would inflict sex change surgery or hormones on young teens -- or even, possibly, even younger children. However, once a person reaches the age of 18 and truly believes that "he" is a "she" (or vice versa) and can convince reputable doctors of that, I think having a sex change operation would be just fine (as long as it is not done for a murderer at the taxpayers' expense*) -- but not before then.

* https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...106-story.html

* https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...change-surgery
This is a good analogy and I agree. This explains how many people can educate themselves and develop an understanding of transgender people but not support every aspect of it. It isn’t so black and white. You aren’t a bigot because you don’t support young children receiving hormones or females sharing changing rooms with someone who looks 100 % male but identifies as a woman.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
What is the proper pronoun for a penguin or a duck? I see your duck is an "it."

I know someone who has a female parrot and refers to her as "him." When the parrot started laying eggs several years ago, the owner tried switching to "her," with little success, eventually slipping back to "he." (See how I avoided gendered pronouns for the person?) This parrot doesn't speak "human," though, so it has not made its pronoun preference know. (Eggs ought to be a clue, but the world has become a more complicated place since the old bird was born.)
In Spanish penguin is pingüino. Male noun.

In Spanish duck is pata. Female noun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education