Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The thread seems to be getting off topic here and potentially into "race-baiting" territory, with all the discussions about SAT scores and affirmative action at colleges. I want to get back to topic.

It does seem that one of the leading problems in the black-white academic achievement gap is simply racial segregation. The less diverse a school is, the larger the gap. And because U.S. schools are heavily segregated, and getting more so in the last generation, this achievement gap is stagnant at best, and widening at worse. And of course when we are dealing with locally zoned K-12 schools, school segregation plays out against the backdrop of residential segregation: White people just don't want black neighbors (much as many will deny that obvious fact) no matter their black neighbor's socioeconomic status. Research further shows that racially integrated schools have no adverse effects on white students (much as some of their parents might like to believe that it does.) And yes, schools in poor black/Latino neighborhoods are too often isolated from the wider society, and have fewer resources and lower academic expectations for their students.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...gration-works/
https://hechingerreport.org/black-ma...gated-schools/
https://cepa.stanford.edu/sites/defa...-12v201510.pdf

I think patterns of residential segregation help explain why OP has difficulty in finding high achieving majority minority K-12 school districts. This isn't a nature/nurture thing. It's much more that the black and Hispanic high-achievers are likelier to attend integrated schools or, as here in NYC, magnet or charter schools that effectively remove them from the segregated neighborhood school.
The bold is why there will never, ever be an honest discussion about the achievement gap. As soon as actual statistics are shown the "race baiting" charge is made and then the statement "we have to get back on track" is made. The achievement gap is the ****ing track and refusing to look at all the pertinent statistics is just burying your head in the sand or sticking your fingers in your ears.

I taught in an integrated school (70% White, 30% Black) in a majority minority school system. It was solidly middle/upper middle class across the board with the children of high GS number officials, flag rank military officers, high level local public servant, successful business people and entrepreneurs attending.

The only metric where Whites did worse than Blacks was drop out rate. Whites did that a lot.

EDIT:
To clear up confusion, when the school was majority White so was the school system, that was 1989. Over the next ten years the system quickly, and the school more slowly, became majority Black. My final year, 2014, the numbers for the school were 92% Black, 5% Hispanic and 3% White. The few White kids still had the highest SAT scores. My Principal used to ask me why (partly because I had been there so long and partly because I was somewhat of a test score nerd but more AP). I couldn't answer him because I didn't know.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-20-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 07:35 PM

123 posts, read 101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The bold is why there will never, ever be an honest discussion about the achievement gap. As soon as actual statistics are shown the "race baiting" charge is made
100% correct. There are some things you aren't allowed to talk, write, or think about.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
It seems as if some posters neither read my latest post carefully nor have a rational response to the data and information contained in the links I cited. Too bad. This could have been a good conversation and helpful to the OP.

Peace out.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:03 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The thread seems to be getting off topic here and potentially into "race-baiting" territory, with all the discussions about SAT scores and affirmative action at colleges. I want to get back to topic.

It does seem that one of the leading problems in the black-white academic achievement gap is simply racial segregation. The less diverse a school is, the larger the gap. And because U.S. schools are heavily segregated, and getting more so in the last generation, this achievement gap is stagnant at best, and widening at worse. And of course when we are dealing with locally zoned K-12 schools, school segregation plays out against the backdrop of residential segregation: White people just don't want black neighbors (much as many will deny that obvious fact) no matter their black neighbor's socioeconomic status. Research further shows that racially integrated schools have no adverse effects on white students (much as some of their parents might like to believe that it does.) And yes, schools in poor black/Latino neighborhoods are too often isolated from the wider society, and have fewer resources and lower academic expectations for their students.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...gration-works/
https://hechingerreport.org/black-ma...gated-schools/
https://cepa.stanford.edu/sites/defa...-12v201510.pdf

I think patterns of residential segregation help explain why OP has difficulty in finding high achieving majority minority K-12 school districts. This isn't a nature/nurture thing. It's much more that the black and Hispanic high-achievers are likelier to attend integrated schools or, as here in NYC, magnet or charter schools that effectively remove them from the segregated neighborhood school.
I've heard on NPR or elsewhere that highly paid black professionals tend to live in majority black neighborhoods in the suburbs, due to white flight, history or other factors. It would stand to reason that if a suburb has a critical mass of highly educated Black/Hispanic high achievers then the school rating should reflect that, since research have shown parental educational attainment as the biggest predictor of a child's school performance. It shouldn't be that hard then to find a majority B/H school with low subsidized lunch ratio in these neighborhoods that are high performing. If they are not easily find then either the majority B/H areas are socioeconomically heterogeneous or something else is holding these kids back.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Radio View Post
Ladera Heights in Los Angeles, majority wealthy black.
I couldn't find a school called Ladera Heights High School. Do you know the specific name of the school? (I did find a link for "schools in Ladera Heights).

Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt, Maryland. It is a neighborhood school with a Science & Tech magnet program.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Find any school where the minority are Asians or Jewish and they will be high performing minority schools.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Find any school where the minority are Asians or Jewish and they will be high performing minority schools.
Or Indians/Pakistanis. These people's come from a totally different background. Especially so if the parents are fresh off the boat. School and studying take priority over "hanging out", etc. what's that old Jewish/Asian/Indian joke? "You can be whatevah you want as long as you're a Dr., Lawyer, or Dentist.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:46 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt, Maryland. It is a neighborhood school with a Science & Tech magnet program.
If you took away the Science and Tech magnet program there Roosevelt would drop to the middle of the pack of the 21 or so (depends on whether you count the behavioral placement schools set up for 9th through 12th grades) high schools in Prince George's County Public Schools, the second worst school system in Maryland. It would still beat the other two Science and Tech magnets though.

As a note, students have to test into the S&T programs at all three schools.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Or Indians/Pakistanis. These people's come from a totally different background. Especially so if the parents are fresh off the boat. School and studying take priority over "hanging out", etc. what's that old Jewish/Asian/Indian joke? "You can be whatevah you want as long as you're a Dr., Lawyer, or Dentist.
I thought being an engineer is also ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education