Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 02:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times

Advertisements

Harder for schools to tell, I'm guessing.

Cheating, Inc.: How Writing Papers for American College Students Has Become a Lucrative Profession Overseas
By Farah Stockman and Carlos Mureithi

Cheating in college is nothing new, but the internet now makes it possible on a global, industrial scale. Sleek websites — with names like Ace-MyHomework and EssayShark — have sprung up that allow people in developing countries to bid on and complete American homework assignments...

Ms. Mbugua said she never felt right about the writing she did in the names of American students and others. “I’ve always had somehow a guilty conscience,” she said. “People say the education system in the U.S., U.K. and other countries is on a top notch,” she said. “I wouldn’t say those students are better than us,” she said, later adding, “We have studied. We have done the assignments.”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/cheating-inc-how-writing-papers-for-american-college-students-has-become-a-lucrative-profession-overseas/ar-AAGWHZj?li=AA524b

http://newsontheflipside.com/americas/cheating-inc-how-writing-papers-for-american-college-students-has-become-a-lucrative-profession-overseas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:11 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
I admit to having mixed feelings about this but it is mostly funny. How much of American education is really nothing but idiotic busy work? I got straight A's in math in high school except junior year. The instructor played this game of assigning homework and then only randomly collecting it.

I admit it was somewhat smart for him because it reduced his workload. But if I did it and he did not collect I got no credit. So sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. Since I always got A's on the tests I might get a B for the grading period because I guessed wrong too often.

English Lit homework was all just BS anyway. I did not try to get A's. B's were easy.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Honestly not sure where I fall on this one. On the one hand cheating is dishonest and impacts other students when grades are made on a competitive basis. On the other hand if someone outside the US is nevertheless able to write an A or B grade paper on some random topic, makes one wonder just what is being graded anyway. So much seemed to be based on who was the best BS artist in the room.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So much seemed to be based on who was the best BS artist in the room.

And would do whatever they were told no matter how idiotic.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I admit to having mixed feelings about this but it is mostly funny. How much of American education is really nothing but idiotic busy work? I got straight A's in math in high school except junior year. The instructor played this game of assigning homework and then only randomly collecting it.

I admit it was somewhat smart for him because it reduced his workload. But if I did it and he did not collect I got no credit. So sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. Since I always got A's on the tests I might get a B for the grading period because I guessed wrong too often.

English Lit homework was all just BS anyway. I did not try to get A's. B's were easy.
That's a fascinating ploy of your teacher only intermittently collecting homework! He gets the students to do all the work, but he limits his own work in not having to correct much of it! Clever!

Old 09-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
That's a fascinating ploy of your teacher only intermittently collecting homework! He gets the students to do all the work, but he limits his own work in not having to correct much of it! Clever!
I had this very discussion today with middle schoolers. The frustration they experienced was palpable. AT LEAST, the teacher should collect the homework and give a simple "check" if it was completed, which takes about 10 minutes of the teacher's time. Can be done quickly, and keeps students from feeling angry, and if they worked especially hard on the assignment, manipulated.

Not clever, IMHO. At all.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
I wasn’t a cheater on test. It was surprising to me how much work and effort some students put into cheating. If they put the same effort in studies they wouldn’t need to cheat. But most were too lazy and or stupid to even put forth the effort and merely resorted to trying to copy answers from their neighbor’s test page and hope it gets them a passing grade.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wasn’t a cheater on test. It was surprising to me how much work and effort some students put into cheating. If they put the same effort in studies they wouldn’t need to cheat. But most were too lazy and or stupid to even put forth the effort and merely resorted to trying to copy answers from their neighbor’s test page and hope it gets them a passing grade.
I don't understand it either. Several of my colleagues mention that they cheated their way through school. They say that they could have graduated without cheating, but that cheating made it less stressful, since they didn't have to worry about bad grades. I don't understand that mindset. Cheating would make things more stressful for me, since I'd be worried about getting caught. Especially in college, the penalty for getting caught cheating is far worse than getting a bad grade, so it makes no sense to me.

What really made no sense was one of my teachers told the entire class how he cheated on his physics Regents exam. He said that he wanted to get 100 on it, and he was 100% certain about every question except one, which asked what a certain arrow would look like in a mirror. Since he wanted 100 on the exam, he drew the arrow on his hand, asked to use the restroom, and then used the mirror in the restroom to see what it looked like. That made no sense to me. Whether you get a 90 or a 100, it goes in the book as an A either way, so there was no benefit to him getting 100. But if he was caught cheating, he would have been in serious trouble, and probably would have lost his college acceptances.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:32 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

I had a lot of teachers like that, and that is why I have such a hard time respecting teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I had this very discussion today with middle schoolers. The frustration they experienced was palpable. AT LEAST, the teacher should collect the homework and give a simple "check" if it was completed, which takes about 10 minutes of the teacher's time. Can be done quickly, and keeps students from feeling angry, and if they worked especially hard on the assignment, manipulated.

Not clever, IMHO. At all.

In my AP US History, we would get a lot of busywork homework assignments that would take a long time to complete but would have very little learning value. It was frustrating wasting so much time, and I strongly suspected that he was not even looking at them. On one assignment, one of the questions was to list the 10 best presidents. I knew that he hated Nixon. So, I listed Nixon as one of the 10 best. He did not comment on it, so that proved that he was not even reading our assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education