Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
What do you think are the biggest obstacle a person who has Aspergers might face, as a teacher?

How do you think someone can resolve these issues, when they are on the spectrum?

Do you think someone with Aspergers can handle that type of job?
You tell us..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:55 PM

412 posts, read 275,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In the United States, eye contact from the teacher to an individual student, from the teacher to all of the students in the classroom (on a rotating basis), from the teacher to parents during conferences, from the teacher to coworkers during discussions, from the teacher to superiors/bosses (principals, superintendent, school board members) is, IMHO, absolutely essential. So, yes, it is very important.

My specialty was early childhood special education. One of the very first things that we focused on when a child was diagnosed with autism, as a three year old, was eye contact, because that was often the foundation of the learning the other social skills.
It probably just doesn't seem as important to me because I have gotten used to not having to deal with it.

I'm beginning to wonder though, that given they knew I had autism, that they would have noticed it with someone else who didn't if they weren't looking for it.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 PM

412 posts, read 275,538 times
I was sort of at a conflict, as one of my super powers of autism is being able to be a good companion to children. I'm the most requested counselor at camp, most requested babysitter in some families, and often teachers ask me to come to their class because the kids liked me. I'm also considered strict according to some kids, because I'm rather rigid in certain regards, so it's not because I just let them do anything they want and not work.

However, on the other side, the autism makes it hard for me to work with children in a school setting, as I prefer it to be more of a summer camp and babysitting type setting, which school is not.

My college had a system where a teacher can still get their degree without an internship by changing their major to non-certified, and still having the required credits for a bachelor's according to the accreditation standards.

The first time I tried substitute teaching, there was a lot of depression, anxiety, feeling stuck and not getting out what I wanted from it.

The 2nd time, in a new state, I think I've adapted by putting it as a profession first, and not expecting those heartwarming moments of connection with the kids that emotionally satisfy me will happen. They do still happen though, but I just don't base my expectations of the job around it anymore.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I'm not sure it's ever a good plan for anyone to set out to teach public school assuming they'll get to teach all AP or upper-level classes. Everyone on campus wants to teach the AP and honors classes for the exact same reasons a teacher on the spectrum might--you don't have to deal the headache of behavioral management and can just teach content. At most campuses I've been at, the rule has been to divide those classes up so there's no resentment among the faculty or issues with teacher retention (everyone has to teach 3 regular level, 2 advanced, 1 honors.)
Just this. Either the duties get divided up fairly, or the honors classes go to the person with the most seniority (or the most clout). Either way, to be a new teacher and get a full schedule of those courses would be very unusual.

I'd also note that the parents of those honors students tend to be the more involved ones, and if they feel (justifiably or not) that their kids are getting a teacher who isn't the strongest instructor, they're not likely to let that rest. And at the risk of overgeneralizing, when a C average kid thinks an instructor is being unfair or confusing, they'll complain to their friends or zone out and play on their phones. When a 4.0 kid thinks an instructor is being unfair or confusing, they'll complain to administration. You're under the microscope.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:47 AM

312 posts, read 277,418 times
I taught college and I am quite familiar with Asperger's. Never say never, but I can't imagine someone on the spectrum dealing with class dynamics, and student bs and drama. Eventually there would be big problems.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 AM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
I have Aspergers and my brother and father had it as well as my nephews. Its a chore getting through each day. If I was a teacher it would present a lot of obstacles since I miss most social cues (thank goodness for my wife). I am reasonable intellegent as is my family and we motor on but its a difficult life.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:29 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
My issue was eye contact in my internship. I don't regularly make eye contact as it causes sensory overload. I was wondering if it really was that important, or if they were just using it as something else against me to make their point.
I'm ASD too & it always surprises me how important that 'look me in the eyes' is to neurotypicals. I think it might be cultural too; in countries with high-density urban areas, like Japan, it is actually considered an invasion of personal space (rude) to insist on eye contact from everybody, all the time.

I usually compromise by smiling & only very quickly looking 'at' (not in) someone's eyes & then I look down or just towards them for the rest of the interaction. The more I become familiar with someone, the easier it is to maintain longer eye contact but I never totally lose that 'squirmy' feeling. Eyes just send too many non-verbal signals; it overwhelms me & if I try to force myself, I lose my words. Awkward.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:23 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
It probably just doesn't seem as important to me because I have gotten used to not having to deal with it.

I'm beginning to wonder though, that given they knew I had autism, that they would have noticed it with someone else who didn't if they weren't looking for it.
IMHO, it is pretty obvious to most/many neurotypical people if some one is avoiding or forcing eye contact due to autism, being shy, being from another culture, or other reasons (such as a behavioral disorder or an emotional response such as fear). How? Again, it is the tiny things and social cues, body language and posture, micro-facial expressions, minuscule language, tone and verbal cues. Many of these things are so small that the person can't even explain how they know, they just "know".

Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:

Quote:
IMHO, it is pretty obvious to most/many neurotypical people if some one is avoiding or forcing eye contact due to autism, being shy, being from another culture, or other reasons (such as a behavioral disorder or an emotional response such as fear). How? Again, it is the tiny things and social cues, body language and posture, micro-facial expressions, minuscule language, tone and verbal cues. Many of these things are so small that the person can't even explain how they know, they just "know".
I just reread my post and it was not as clear as I meant it to be. I intended to say that most/many people can accurately tell the reason that someone is avoiding or forcing eye contact. So, IMHO, your instructors would have known that you had difficulty with eye contact, because of autism, even if you had not told them that.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
I just reread my post and it was not as clear as I meant it to be. I intended to say that most/many people can accurately tell the reason that someone is avoiding or forcing eye contact. So, IMHO, your instructors would have known that you had difficulty with eye contact, because of autism, even if you had not told them that.
I disagree. I am thinking back to a teacher we had in our school who, for most of his time there, seemed unable to have eye contact. But I saw no other signs of autism, and in fact, in many ways his other behaviors seemed the antithesis of autism. I don't know where his issue originated, but I don't think it was autism. Further, I hate to admit it, but most teachers are not very knowledgeable about autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education