Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:39 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
For as long as I can remember, there's always a "new" way to teach reading which will bring better results. Phonics, whole language, etc, etc.
The Reading Wars have gone on for a long time, too long in fact because there is ample evidence as to what really works.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...29100618772271

Quote:
We commenced this review by asking why the reading wars have continued. Despite extensive scientific evidence, accumulated over decades, for the centrality of alphabetic decoding skills as a foundation of learning to read, there remains resistance to using phonics instruction methods in the classroom.

In conclusion, the state of the science of learning to read was reviewed comprehensively in this journal more than 15 years ago (Rayner, Foorman, Perfetti, Pesetsky, & Seidenberg, 2001). It is thus surprising and concerning that the reading wars continue. It is our hope that this review will contribute to ending these wars, so that a further examination of the status of this debate 15 years hence will not be required.

Last edited by MissTerri; 10-06-2019 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-06-2019, 06:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
If it were that simple, everyone would be doing what they recommend. Not to mention, how to teach reading is not the topic of this thread.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
If it were that simple, everyone would be doing what they recommend. Not to mention, how to teach reading is not the topic of this thread.
You would think, but you’d be 100% incorrect.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You would think, but you’d be 100% incorrect.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/h_l_mencken_129796

Old 10-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/h_l_mencken_129796
I presented the evidence.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The problem with illiteracy has everything to do with how schools are teaching kids to read and nothing to do with vo-tech or no vo-tech.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/02/67772...an-do-about-it
As Gomer Pyle would have said...

"Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, "

It's no 'surprise' since the Vo-tech programs are getting students from the same 'output' as us(A) employers... =USA 'disaster' K-12 grads(?). Helpless and hopeless, (and NOT educated) so sad for all. (Except for those feeding at the K-12 pig trough (administrators reaping the gravy salaries and pensions)).

Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My dad did not finish high school. The depression and WW2 got in the way. He was the son of a sharecropper. During his life he did many jobs to buy that farm he sharecropped on as a kid. He painted houses. He picked up garbage. I learned both beside right beside him. My mother was the daughter of an Appalachian coal miner. She worked in a shipyard in WW2. In high school I took vocational ed as well as algebra. The labor force in that town, like many others in the south worked in a cotton mill. The way out of the cotton mill was through learning a trade or joining the military. At age 17 dad drove me to the recruiting station and said "Pick one." Thanks Dad. You gave me more than I could ever repay.

Uncle Sam sent me to college. And it has been a wonderful career. But I've never forgotten my roots.

If you're going to quote me, do it in context so that you don't mislead others on what I said. I made a positive comment about my upbringing and somehow you've tried to turn it into a putdown.

Quote:
I'm not dismissing your information. I'm trying to tell you what your school is doing doesn't fit into "college vs trade school" since according to you most of these kids in this CTE go on to college. It shouldn't excite tnff either, as he is one of the main proponents of "college isn't for everyone" and pushes some type of vo-tech for those who shouldn't (in his opinion) be going to college, and those who should "remember where they came from".

Old 10-06-2019, 08:25 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm pretty sure they still do that at the local high school. Maybe the kids come out with medical assisting certificates, though, now that I think about it.

Oh...goodness...so you got nurses aid mixed up with medical assistant? Um...makes a teeny bit more sense........

If someone doesn’t want to go to college tho...or can’t....but wants to go into nursing....I would recommend at least going for LVN....can always go back to college & sit for RN after that.........

Old 10-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I don't think AnotherTouch was cutting class. That was part of her schedule. You can't train high school students for much of any skilled job because they don't have enough education for them.

I don't look at CNA work as "menial labor", either. It useful work, as opposed to "Do you want fries with that?"

It’s useful & ofc I said that......but not something a high school should be training for.....nurses aids can get hired on right away after hs graduation.....& be trained.....but she said she meant medical assistant...

If high schools are going to have vocational training...why not for something a little more skilled than something anyone can walk off the street & apply for with no training....

Old 10-06-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

I got a job in a nursing home right after I graduated from high school (and got my certification) and I think I was making $10 an hour. In 1995, the minimum wage was under $5, so that's not bad for an 18-year-old. I only lasted a month, maybe, because it was totally not for me. But there was a young woman my age working there who had a two-year-old daughter... she needed the money and seemed to like the job (or at least she didn't hate it). That was better for her than working at McDonald's.

Tbh...if I had to pick....I’d take a food service job over a nurses aid. It’s back breaking work & requires lots of lifting. I worked retail..(for spending money & college)...from the time I was 16....before becoming an RN Lic Pending...then RN....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education