Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 06:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz&dogz View Post
I just finished yet another math class, from the safety of my home, and I did great.
(The video was made a while ago but it is as fresh as the day it was made.)

You can argue the merits of online instruction but this class was brilliant, interesting and best of all, free.

So how long do you think it will be until public schools close and students receive their education at home schools, taught by AI teachers?

There are many different learning styles and approaches to reaching those learners.

Online courses represent one of those may conduits. It isn't the only or the best method.

Schools will be around for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 06:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,725,995 times
Quote:

So how long do you think it will be until public schools close and students receive their education at home schools, taught by AI teachers?
Not in our lifetimes.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:07 AM

15,832 posts, read 21,358,127 times
I've always found online learning to be subpar, and I got a whole master's degree that way. The interaction with your instructors and peers is totally lacking.

Part of the importance of a classroom setting is encouraging verbal communication and discussion. Most of my college classes were 5-10 person seminars or at the very least, some verbal participation was required. As a very shy student, that was difficult for me but essential in becoming the professional I am today. While I could see replacing some of the 100+ person lecture classes with online modules, how do you replace a small seminar discussion with online learning? You can't.

Even for K-12 education, I personally would find it completely impossible to learn as well as I did in person if I did it online. I can't imagine online learning will ever eclipse brick and mortar education on any academic level.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,732,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
And those teachers will finally be able to demonstrate how valuable their skills are in the private sector. ...
My employer allowed us to 'train-a-teacher ' for our High Tech 'Invention' business, and we could take the summer / spring break off (without pay, teacher got our pay rate). I did this for over 10 yrs. Teachers, schools, and our company gained a lot of benefit. I liked the collaboration / new ideas and referrals for future projects / and future employees (teachers and their students). During the school yr, many of us did presentations / science clubs / mentorship in the schools. (Our Company paid us to do that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Not in our lifetimes.
true - too many 'special interests at the pig trough. Plus, USA parents are not ready to guide their kids (take time away from work(?)). For some reason the parents think 'aspiring to wealth' is more important / expected of them. Probably due to 16 yrs with 'peers' "Group think", instead of... Individual pursuit of most appropriate path for that persons specific social contribution. (herd of sheep / livestock mentality) Sounds a lot like S-C-H-O-O-L .

I'm of the mindset.. "Retire early, retire often", such as when your kids are home. A very Short period of life... Start a family business and replace your wage income or... bootstrap a time away (12 yrs) with family.. traveling / learning / earning together. (sooner the better, for your family). Think of how far ahead your kids would be if they could run a business? (not good for the future of 'traditional education')

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've always found online learning to be subpar, and I got a whole master's degree that way. The interaction with your instructors and peers is totally lacking.

Part of the importance of a classroom setting is encouraging verbal communication and discussion. Most of my college classes were 5-10 person seminars or at the very least, some verbal participation was required. As a very shy student, that was difficult for me but essential in becoming the professional I am today. While I could see replacing some of the 100+ person lecture classes with online modules, how do you replace a small seminar discussion with online learning? You can't.

You sound like a good candidate for apprenticeship / cohort learning. (Small groups). That is a good learning model.

My SIL teaches 'special needs' FT online (for last 5 yrs), so it can work for some, certainly not for all.

There are options and could be many more.
As a business owner, hiring manager, business consultant, and PT prof, USA would be well served, and industry would be happy to get grads that actually could perform / step into responsible roles (as you get in Europe and Asia (especially a focus of EDU in China and India)). Graduates can 'profitably engage in business' the day they walk out of school. USA grads sit on their hands waiting for 'direction' (sufficed them for the previous 16 yrs)
I served a 5 yr apprenticeship (that included 4 yrs of college, FT for me / worked night shift, did college by day, work by night). That demanding schedule was a 'cake-walk' compared to Dairy Farm Boarding School! (Plus I was supporting my parents & buying them a house...) College is the 'Easy Living' years of life. Even retirement does not compare in EASE (still must deal with finances, rules, bills + Health Care)

AI can and will take on much of the EDU role, as the current and future generations of learners will expect it, and accept nothing less. (They can also see through the facade of our failed conventional USA k-16 system as they struggle for direction and decent j-o-bs)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-16-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-16-2019, 09:45 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,248,861 times
Quote:
I agree with this- I'm taking theology classes at a local ministry school and it's structured for people who are combining studies with FT work and/or family responsibilities. We do a lot of pre-work, have an intensive weekend classroom session and then have post-class assignments. I cannot imagine that class without the weekend in-person session. A friend described them as "part retreat, part pajama party" since most of us stay overnight in the same dorm (rooms are same-sex!) and discussions range from grandchildren and classic rock music to solving the problems of the world.

The quality of the teaching is really important, though. You need someone who can keep the class engaged.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:09 PM

1,417 posts, read 729,240 times
Quote:
how do you replace a small seminar discussion with online learning? You can't.
You are kidding, right? Technology has moved beyond that. You can go into a virtual room and debate all you want, able to see each other, share screens info, all real time. You can even record it. Most of the on-line curriculum I have seen of late have mandatory discussion attendance requirements. What is nice, is you can truly bring in a very diverse crowd (if so desired).

Two years ago there was a television show we watched via stream. I created a forum and set up a virtual chat room. After the show the forum members could join the virtual chat and B.S around for an hour or two. We had a blast. If I ever find a show we like again, I will likely do it again.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM

2,525 posts, read 3,077,632 times
The problem with parent-led home schooling is the fact that it takes one parent out of the workforce. But some people think that's just dandy, especially if it's a woman.
Fear of women's economic power is silly, but pervasive among a certain subset of folks.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 729,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The problem with parent-led home schooling is the fact that it takes one parent out of the workforce. But some people think that's just dandy, especially if it's a woman.
Fear of women's economic power is silly, but pervasive among a certain subset of folks.
Uh, yeah right. Stereotype much?

Old 10-16-2019, 03:37 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,248,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Uh, yeah right. Stereotype much?
Yeah, I was going to write a long reply but it's OT. Suffice to say that even though DS and DDIL elected for her to stay home FT and home-school the kids, DS is well aware that without my "economic power" he wouldn't have had the travel, the private-school education he needed and the debt-free college education he had since my Ex turned out to be a deadbeat.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:48 AM

3,682 posts, read 2,388,895 times
Quote:
I just finished yet another math class, from the safety of my home, and I did great.
(The video was made a while ago but it is as fresh as the day it was made.)

You can argue the merits of online instruction but this class was brilliant, interesting and best of all, free.

Some students will learn/study via AI and/or online.

Most won't, IMO.

But who knows?

The world is changing SO fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education