Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:01 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I agree with most of this. I don't think such language/music would be allowed at my kids' schools, even 15-20 years ago. (Oldest DD was a freshman 21 years ago now. Wow!) And believe me, OP, this language in music, isn't something new, nor is the cursing by the students.

As far as the cheerleading outfits, yes, they've always been skimpy. Even in my day which was more like 50 years ago, the cheerleader skirts were above the knee while the rest of us had to wear mid-knee or longer. OTOH, my niece was a HS cheerleader these past 4 years, and she had to wear these huge silly bows in her hair, couldn't wear tons of jewelry, tattoos, etc.

Drug of choice back in my day was alcohol.
Cheerleading skirts may be shorter than normal, but I’ve never seen a cheer outfit that doesn’t have shorts underneath the skirt. Shorts, too, not like the briefs dancers wear.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
The music would not be allowed at my son's high school (he's a sophomore), and whatever adults in charge would have made them turn it off. But having said that, just in the past couple of weeks, I've been in 2 business establishments (hair salon, sub shop) where the f-bomb music was blasting. In a way, I think younger people are kind of immune to it and don't see it as a big deal anymore, esp. with more and more public figures using curse words in ordinary conversation.

As for the drugs, that's in every school these days - and not just high school. And yes, it's scary.

Regarding the clothes, some of my mom friends at my son's school talk about it being "Club [High School Name]" because the girls wear things that I'm not sure we would have even worn going to a night club back in the day! We are esp. annoyed because the school used to have a strict dress code, but they've pretty much made it into a free for all now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 12:49 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
When I retired to Maui and began substitute teaching in the high schools, I was kind of shocked by the language. You hardly ever hear a sentence that doesn't include the F-word. On the other hand, the kids are otherwise really well-behaved compared to ones I taught in California. I got used to it and now am only surprised when I hear little kids talking the same way (even in front of their parents).
Just remember, they are only words.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:27 AM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Here’s a counterpoint: //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...chool-now.html

Last edited by redguitar77111; 10-07-2019 at 05:13 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 05:44 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A. No, none of the local schools would permit that. Music with that kind of language would not be permitted. Likewise students, whether senior or not, would not be permitted to use foul language or such toward the other team. If they did the game would be stopped and the offending school warned.

B. Cheerleaders have always worn skimpy uniforms. Even when I was in school 40 some years ago. Funny thing was looked at objectively, the cheerleader uniform would not meet school dress codes, yet cheerleaders were permitted to wear it on game days. This was at my kid's middle and high schools just a couple years ago. If any other girl came in dressed similarly in "civilian" clothes, they would have been sent home to change.

C. Unfortunately drugs have been around a while. Fentanyl is the scary one. There are organizations around here offering free overdose kits for parents. But even scarier than that are all these challenges going around the internet. One local middle school just had a student die a couple weeks ago from one of those on line challenges.

Yes, for at least the last 30 years cheerleader uniforms have been short. My daughter is in Middle school now and is a cheerleader. They wore their uniforms to school once on game day and the principal told them no more. Now they all where matching cheer shirts on game days. Even though they have built in shorts! Dress code is shirts, shorts, etc have to be as long as your finger tips while standing straight with arms at side, Well, they don't make cheer uniforms like that! Personally I think they should be allowed to wear them as its a school uniform and again, there's built in shorts underneath!

Kids swearing at H.S. football games is also normal. It's the age. As far as drugs are concerned, unfortunately they are in most schools around the country. You need to educate your children on drugs. Not just once, but continuously!!

Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Glad you said that, as I was going to say the same. I also feel like schools are more strict now, and also I rarely, possibly never, saw a cop at school. Now there are 2-3 squad cars there every day, plus 5-6 at football games.
I graduated in 1986, and my kids just graduated, and will next year. Though same state, different cities.
Yes, I do feel there were more weapons and drugs then as opposed to now and that language and dress are even.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanaggie View Post
Tonight my elementary daughter was cheering at the local high school game. Before the game started, many high schoolers were outside the field blaring music through speakers that had every profanity and racial slur you could imagine. I couldn't believe it. And of course it was right by the entrance that the elementary kids were going into for the cheerleading event. And then during the event, the seniors were in the front of the bleachers using fowl language yelling towards the other team. And let's not get into what the girls were actually wearing to the event.

Then we just had a 2nd student die in the last 2 months from another local high school due to fentanyl overdose being snuck into counterfeit oxycodone pills.

I graduated from high school over 20+ years ago. Is this the new norm or is this unique to our area? My oldest will be going into HS in 2 years and I'm scared for her.

I graduated from high school in 75. I remember well, the one guy that slept through every class because he was stoned out of his gourd. So of course, drugs in school are not a new thing. But the heroin/fentanyl problem is real, and rampant where I live. And meth. Can't forget good ol meth.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Parents are the people who are primarily responsible for their children’s behavior and performance in school.

This is something that everybody needs to realize. Pointing fingers at other people doesn’t work.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good points. Our local HSs would not tolerate offensive language or music at sports events, too.
OP said this behavior was occurring "off field". I'm interpreting that to mean off school property? Coulda been the school didn't have a lot of authority on the matter. Maybe.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Yes, for at least the last 30 years cheerleader uniforms have been short. My daughter is in Middle school now and is a cheerleader. They wore their uniforms to school once on game day and the principal told them no more. Now they all where matching cheer shirts on game days. Even though they have built in shorts! Dress code is shirts, shorts, etc have to be as long as your finger tips while standing straight with arms at side, Well, they don't make cheer uniforms like that! Personally I think they should be allowed to wear them as its a school uniform and again, there's built in shorts underneath!

Kids swearing at H.S. football games is also normal. It's the age. As far as drugs are concerned, unfortunately they are in most schools around the country. You need to educate your children on drugs. Not just once, but continuously!!
Actually, I think the cheerleader uniforms are custom made, so could be made longer. Or maybe the cheers could just do what your kid's middle school (middle school for Pity's sake!) makes them do and just wear their cheer shirts. My kids were gymnasts and did not wear their leotards on competition day; they wore their warm up suits, or sometimes a special garment (shirt, dress, etc). Track team members don't wear those little diapers some wear to run in on competition days, nor do the football players show up in full uniform and pads.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-07-2019 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education