Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I didn't say anything about day care.

ETA......are you talking about daycare for any mid-career types venturing into teaching?
The OP's proposal calls for free day care from ages 0-8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 11:48 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I haven't actually said what I support.

But I always prefer to hear specifics over vague suggestions about programs that have already been proposed.
I've read several of your responses across a few education related threads. It's fairly clear you support the status quo or close.

I also find it interesting that you demand specifics while contributing none yourself.

Our 8th graders are 31st out of 35 in The OECD in demonstrated math proficiency. We are routinely bested by Russia, The Czech Republic, Estonia and Vietnam on PISA results.

Given the fantastic amounts of money spent per pupil on US K-12 and the results the only rational conclusion is we have failed and wholly new ideas are required.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Maybe look at the TIMMS results especially for the advance mathematics and science.

Performance at International Benchmarks – TIMSS ADVANCED 2015 INTERNATIONAL RESULTS REPORT

Only Russia, Lebanon and the US had 7 to 10% reach the advanced benchmark in math. Only 1 to 3% of other countries did.

Student Achievement – TIMSS ADVANCED 2015 INTERNATIONAL RESULTS REPORT

In Physics, the US did well, but not as well as Slovenia, Russia, Norway, Portugal and Sweden. The US had 5% of its students achieving well compared to 8% for Slovenia. In Slovenia and the US, achievement was unchanged since 1995.

I think are best students are doing quite well.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

Given the fantastic amounts of money spent per pupil on US K-12 and the results the only rational conclusion is we have failed and wholly new ideas are required.
That's my point. I'm waiting for some "wholly new ideas" to show up in this thread.

"Fantastic amounts of money" compared to what?

Old 10-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Maybe look at the TIMMS results especially for the advance mathematics and science.

Performance at International Benchmarks – TIMSS ADVANCED 2015 INTERNATIONAL RESULTS REPORT

Only Russia, Lebanon and the US had 7 to 10% reach the advanced benchmark in math. Only 1 to 3% of other countries did.

Student Achievement – TIMSS ADVANCED 2015 INTERNATIONAL RESULTS REPORT

In Physics, the US did well, but not as well as Slovenia, Russia, Norway, Portugal and Sweden. The US had 5% of its students achieving well compared to 8% for Slovenia. In Slovenia and the US, achievement was unchanged since 1995.

I think are best students are doing quite well.
None of that is surprising to me at all. Our top layer of students is equal to or better than any anywhere. It's the other 85-90% who are noncompetitive.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That's my point. I'm waiting for some "wholly new ideas" to show up in this thread.

"Fantastic amounts of money" compared to what?

Firing 1/3 of all teachers and hiring proved subject matter experts and 95th percentile and better young people to teach is wholly out of the box. And still you won't even be clear about where you stand........only chirp about what others take the time to write down.

Compared to nearly all other countries. Usually The US is number 2, 3 or 4 in world in per pupil spending.

Estonia, Russia and Vietnam all spend far less than half what we do. Russia $4,437 per year for example per The OECD.

Further, if per pupil spending was the deciding factor New York, Alaska, DC, Vermont etc. would be lapping California, Utah, Texas etc. in things like college readiness.........and they aren't.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

Firing 1/3 of all teachers and hiring proved subject matter experts and 95th percentile and better young people to teach is wholly out of the box. And still you won't even be clear about where you stand........only chirp about what others take the time to write down.
I don't need to tell you where I stand. I'm having too much fun shooting down fantasies.

Besides, contrary to your experience, some of the worst teachers my kids had were subject-matter experts who went through a shortcut certification program and had almost no classroom management skills.

Chirp chirp chirp ...

The Peace Corps approach to teaching won't work. Paying teachers like professionals instead of blue-collar workers would be a start. If it were a breadwinner career that would make a difference, that would help.

But throwing more money isn't going to solve what social problems have created.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Besides, contrary to your experience, some of the worst teachers my kids had were subject-matter experts who went through a shortcut certification program and had almost no classroom management skills.
The only fantasy to any of this is the notion that your way is working. It is not working.

ETA - fixed a typo.

Last edited by EDS_; 10-19-2019 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-19-2019, 01:27 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
I don't need to tell you where I stand. I'm having too much fun shooting down fantasies.

Chirp chirp chirp ...

The Peace Corps approach to teaching won't work. Paying teachers like professionals instead of blue-collar workers would be a start. If it were a breadwinner career that would make a difference, that would help.

But throwing more money isn't going to solve what social problems have created.
That's right. There's a LOT more to teaching than standing in front of a class and talking.

Teachers learn HOW to teach. There are methods of getting through to kids who have trouble learning and you try different ways until they do learn. Some "expert" on some subject isn't going to know how to reach the difficult kids. And how are they going to do with the worst aspect of teaching--classroom management.

Some of these people who think they know better, I challenge them to spend a day as a teacher. Wait until a kid tells you loudly in front of the entire class that he's going to kill you and then gets up and starts to act as though he's going to. Think you'd enjoy that?

Or the kid who mimics every word you say and gets the whole class involved in laughing instead of learning.

Or the kid who keeps kicking the chair of the kid in front of him or the kid who just hollers out and distracts everybody.

And you know what you can do about it? Nothing. Will the administration do anything about it? Nope. They're too afraid of the parents. Much of the classroom time is wasted on rotten kids who don't want to learn. You feel more like a cop than a teacher. Yeh, send in the rocket scientist and see how he does.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's right. There's a LOT more to teaching than standing in front of a class and talking.

Teachers learn HOW to teach. There are methods of getting through to kids who have trouble learning and you try different ways until they do learn. Some "expert" on some subject isn't going to know how to reach the difficult kids. And how are they going to do with the worst aspect of teaching--classroom management.

Some of these people who think they know better, I challenge them to spend a day as a teacher. Wait until a kid tells you loudly in front of the entire class that he's going to kill you and then gets up and starts to act as though he's going to. Think you'd enjoy that?

Or the kid who mimics every word you say and gets the whole class involved in laughing instead of learning.

Or the kid who keeps kicking the chair of the kid in front of him or the kid who just hollers out and distracts everybody.

And you know what you can do about it? Nothing. Will the administration do anything about it? Nope. They're too afraid of the parents. Much of the classroom time is wasted on rotten kids who don't want to learn. You feel more like a cop than a teacher. Yeh, send in the rocket scientist and see how he does.

Sure, in other words, keep doing what we know does not work. That'll show'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education