Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:17 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

I have 8 mos to learn to speak it as well as I can for a trip (but I'd like to know in case I make return visits in the future). I'm going to start learning tomorrow. I don't care really about writing it.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...apanese-by-dk/

I have the previous version of this above, but I don't know how good it is. But I'm sure there may be better methods & learning materials.

What are the best methods to learn FAST?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 03:49 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
My friends put their children in Japanese immersion schools in grade school, one continued the other left for regular school. As an adult it will be harder for you as your brain is not as open as a child's is. But immersion would do a lot for you. I see you are in SoCal so look around and see how you can create an immersion situation, perhaps hire a native speaker to only speak Japanese to you 9-5.

I have heard good things about Rosetta Stone. Have you looked into that?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Thank you. I, unfortunately, don't have the money for Rosetta Stone. I just recently got the opportunity to start working with Korean individuals talking w/ them in English & I really, really wish it were Japanese individuals instead because they could help me some too!

Old 10-27-2019, 07:40 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Aren't there classes of any kind in your area? A nearby college or continuing ed/adult ed? I took Japanese some time ago through an adult education program, and got a reasonable grasp of some basic structures and vocab.

I used the Genki textbook series--not very visually splashy, but inexpensive and very functional. It does require that you learn writing, though.

There are some Youtube videos with good Japanese lessons, but some of them require learning a bit of the written language. But still, take a look if you haven't already-- you may be able to find stuff that teaches important phrases and basic sentences.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thank you. I, unfortunately, don't have the money for Rosetta Stone. I just recently got the opportunity to start working with Korean individuals talking w/ them in English & I really, really wish it were Japanese individuals instead because they could help me some too!
My local library offers Rosetta Stone to patrons free with a library card. Perhaps your library does too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:07 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My local library offers Rosetta Stone to patrons free with a library card. Perhaps your library does too.
I had a chance to do a whole Rosetta Stone course in Spanish and I hated it and felt that of the various ways I used to learn the language, it was the worst. This advice is good though because if you do it free it would be worth a try and/or the library may have a different language learning course. Also, maybe the one for Japanese is better. I would definitely not pay out good money for RS though. Sometimes you can find really good courses on YouTube though and will just have to dig around till you find one you like. Duolingo is free but moves too slowly for me.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Try Duolingo - It is supposed to be better than Rosetta Stone and it is a free app.

https://www.duolingo.com/

Old 10-28-2019, 07:42 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Benjamin Franklin said that the best way to learn a foreign language is to get a dictionary that you can take to bed with you.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Try Duolingo - It is supposed to be better than Rosetta Stone and it is a free app.

https://www.duolingo.com/
Thanks! In the meantime, I DID sign up for Duolingo & did the 1st lesson so far. It was a little strange, but I'll probably keep going.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:33 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I'm going to start free Japanese classes in January. I'll post here then about the materials being used.

My library offers the language learning program Mango. I never liked Duolingo because it really didn't explain all the grammar, it just repeated itself, at least for the romance languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education