Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 08:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,806,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
My 15y/o has terrible handwriting. Got him a tutor a few years back—didn’t help. He is bright, and manages, because so much work is on computer these days—but there is a time that he needs to be able to write legibly. Any ideas?
OT (Occupational Therapy) works on handwriting. Also how does he hold his pencil. You could try getting something like this to promote the proper grip.

You can encourage daily writing

Pencil grippers

https://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-U.../dp/B001SN8HOY

Has he been tested for dysgraphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 PM

6,411 posts, read 3,896,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
My 8th grader is in the same situation. He holds his writing instrument wrong. We've tried a few methods to help him, all have failed so far.
Or maybe just bad handwriting. When I was young, I was told I held my pencil "incorrectly"-- two fingers on top, pencil rests on ring finger, rather than one finger on top and pencil rests on middle finger. Finally got myself one of those pencil grips somewhere between 2nd and 4th grade and learned to do it correctly. Handwriting is still bad.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:18 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,133,422 times
They stopped teaching cursive writing in schools and some kids don't even know how to read it. He can improve his handwriting by just practicing but pretty much handwriting style is set at a young age. I remember learning cursive writing in 2nd grade. Don't worry, most work is done on computer and in the future he may have an assistant to help with the writing part.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,778,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
My 15y/o has terrible handwriting. Got him a tutor a few years back—didn’t help. He is bright, and manages, because so much work is on computer these days—but there is a time that he needs to be able to write legibly. Any ideas?
Not that it will help your situation any but others dealing with the same thing should take issue with the problem 10 - 12 years sooner than you did.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:38 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,503,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Palmer Method.
I had to look that up as I'd never heard of it. It might help if the OP's son is willing to work on it.

https://palmermethod.com/drills/

I know my handwriting is terrible.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,211,898 times
Well, all this about "young people can't read longhand" makes me even more determined to keep writing in longhand.

Put me in a lecture, taking notes that I'm going to need later, and I guarantee I can outwrite anyone who prints.laboriously.every.single.letter.separately. Why on earth would you want to do that when longhand is so much faster and easier?

Old 11-05-2019, 07:15 AM

64 posts, read 29,271 times
In the old days, we would take drafting classes where they taught you to print in block letters. This helped a lot of folks. The only time I use cursive nowadays is signing my name.

Does your son have an interest in art? Maybe a calligraphy class would help him out.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,219,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibaCat View Post

In the old days, we would take drafting classes where they taught you to print in block letters. This helped a lot of folks. The only time I use cursive nowadays is signing my name.
That's what I meant about entering engineering/tech. When you job includes lettering a drawing, adapting block lettering for use as your standard handwriting is a lot easier and more legible than script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, all this about "young people can't read longhand" makes me even more determined to keep writing in longhand.

Put me in a lecture, taking notes that I'm going to need later, and I guarantee I can outwrite anyone who prints.laboriously.every.single.letter.separately. Why on earth would you want to do that when longhand is so much faster and easier?
I can certainly understand wanting to preemptively defeat annoying geezer-launched comments.

There's a big difference between the painstaking lettering that a draftsman would do on a drawing and using a block lettering style as one's standard handwriting, and I'll gladly sacrifice some speed for much greater legibility.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,211,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That's what I meant about entering engineering/tech. When you job includes lettering a drawing, adapting block lettering for use as your standard handwriting is a lot easier and more legible than script.
Well, I am a practicing engineer and I take all notes and write all my handwritten stuff in longhand. Lettering is not writing, as you should have been taught in drafting class.

Printing every.single.letter of every.single.grocery list, to-do list, notes to oneself, notes on a logbook, etc., etc., etc. would drive me nuts - when I have right there in my muscle memory a much faster and equally legible way to do it. Hell, if I could write shorthand I'd use that (like my mother did).

Old 11-05-2019, 08:04 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,297,842 times
I am an Ivy League graduate and high school valedictorian who has made a living as an editor for more than 20 years. I also have a severe learning disability (ADD) with other add on issues. My handwriting is TERRIBLE and manual writing is difficult for me. A friend who reads a lot of science articles claims it's because my brain is sending my thoughts out faster than my hand can keep up with, but I think it's just terrible fine motor skills.

Let your son be. Handwriting has nothing to do with future success in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education