U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 04:10 AM

57 posts, read 14,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, let's run that pop fly out.

Your projected manufacturing cost is $225. Your organization requires a 45% minimum gross margin. What, then, will be the minimum sales price for this product to achieve the required minimum gross margin?

Don't run to a book and look up a formula. Tell us, right now, how you calculate the sales price. I defy you to do so without using algebra - i.e., the substitution of a place holder letter or symbol for a number that you wish to calculate.
This type of problems is taught in Singapore primary schools. All pupils learn how to solve complex word problems before learning any algebra.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 05:12 AM

8,641 posts, read 3,997,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shadow View Post
This type of problems is taught in Singapore primary schools. All pupils learn how to solve complex word problems before learning any algebra.
OK, show me how you solve it without using a letter or symbol to stand in for the selling price.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:58 AM

12,332 posts, read 9,907,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shadow View Post
I was not educated in the US. How abstract is the algebra in American high schools? Can someone shed some light?
I was educated in the U.S. and I still don't believe algebra to be abstract.

OP, provide an example.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 AM

10,218 posts, read 10,554,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Algebra is very relevant to sales.

How do you calculate a 45% margin on a net priced item?

If you receive a 2% manufacturers rebate on annual purchases of $1,000,000 and you operate on a 15% margin from net, 10% of your customers get a 1% discount off retail for paying net30, you markdown 1.5% of inventory for promotional purposes, what is your maintained margin?

If you cannot work your way through these algebraic problems you will have a difficult time predicting profitability. You may be able to sell something, but you will never be a sales manager or really understand the rules of your own profession.
Plus 1.

My comment was going to be salespeople use algebra and algebraic concepts by the hour even if some don't conceptualize relevant thought processes as algebraic in nature.

An overwhelming number of salespeople are paid via applied algebraic concepts as you noted.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:37 AM

89,957 posts, read 107,984,011 times
I think we need to get rid of this notion that some people just can't do algebra. Sure, it's easier for some than others. But anyone of normal intelligence should be able to pass a basic algebra course. Schools need to do more to encourage an "I can do it" attitude.

Anyone who goes into any type of health care that requires calculating doses will have to use algebra. If you work in an office or small facility, you will not have a pharmacist to do it for you like they do in big hospitals.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I was educated in the U.S. and I still don't believe algebra to be abstract.

OP, provide an example.

Take the first step into algebra 1a.............1a is definitionally abstract because we don't know what - a - is. Is a = 1 or 5 or is it the formula for the volume of a sphere? Or irrational? Literally unknown?

Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think we need to get rid of this notion that some people just can't do algebra. Sure, it's easier for some than others. But anyone of normal intelligence should be able to pass a basic algebra course. Schools need to do more to encourage an "I can do it" attitude.

Anyone who goes into any type of health care that requires calculating doses will have to use algebra. If you work in an office or small facility, you will not have a pharmacist to do it for you like they do in big hospitals.
Great post.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, show me how you solve it without using a letter or symbol to stand in for the selling price.
Win.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 AM

12,332 posts, read 9,907,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Take the first step into algebra 1a.............1a is definitionally abstract because we don't know what - a - is. Is a = 1 or 5 or is it the formula for the volume of a sphere? Or irrational? Literally unknown?
Is THAT what the OP is talking about? The presence of variables? Surely, it's an unknown, but that's not really abstract.

First graders do algebra. Remember problems where it was an empty box + 3=7. Every kid could figure out that 4 went in the box. Replace the box with X and that's algebra. Not abstract at all.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is THAT what the OP is talking about? The presence of variables? Surely, it's an unknown, but that's not really abstract.

First graders do algebra. Remember problems where it was an empty box + 3=7. Every kid could figure out that 4 went in the box. Replace the box with X and that's algebra. Not abstract at all.
Our only disagreement seems to be if working with an unknown defines an abstraction. I'm certain that it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or