Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 11:47 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they shouldn't teach basic arithmetic either. Too hard for some kids. Better yet, just get rid of all math requirements, starting from kindergarten. I don't want my tax money going towards something so useless.

Quote:
I do think all students should learn statistical algebra, like mortgages, finance, budgeting, percentages, loans, compounding interest, graphs, fractions, data plots, etc. Abstract algebra should be optional.
You do realize that all of those things require a higher-than-basic grasp of algebra, like how to handle and think about indeterminates, etc.

Also, "abstract algebra" is the wrong term for whatever you're describing (high-school algebra, also known as "classical algebra").

Abstract algebra is an actual term which means something else: the study of mathematical objects such as groups, rings, fields/field extensions, modules, categories, algebraic varieties, and their homomorphisms (in other words, stuff which is wayyyy beyond high school algebra, though still very useful in the real world if one is interested in things like cybersecurity/cryptography/algorithm design, etc). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_algebra

Last edited by Shalop; 11-13-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:30 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Hell, just issue iphones to all children and get rid of school altogether:

"Siri, do everything for me, ok?"

Or, at most, have a class or two on how to use Google and Youtube.

Done. Imagine all the money we could save to buy stuff on Amazon prime!

Old 11-13-2019, 12:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I'm a multi-millionaire and never used anything beyond 5th grade math.

Our education did not teach me the skills I used to be successful- discipline, toughness, ambition, drive, pride, integrity, a willingness to think for myself, take risk.

But, no doubt, there are lots of 9 to 5 zombies that can run circles around me doing algebra.
Do you own property? Have any loans or credit cards? If so, you are using algebra. You just don't know it.

If you wanted x amount of monthy income, and each property brought in $500 in rent a month, how many properties would you need to own?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Does anyone want to try my problem?

Let me say, as a nurse who worked in a small office, I had to calculate drug doses frequently. Here's one:

Doctor orders 650 mg of a med. The med comes in a powder, 1000 mg to a sealed vial. To mix, you need to add 2 ml of liquid (saline or other diluent). That makes about 2.2 (? just guessing here; it's been a while) of solution. How much do you give the patient?

Old 11-13-2019, 02:19 PM

75 posts, read 35,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Does anyone want to try my problem?

Let me say, as a nurse who worked in a small office, I had to calculate drug doses frequently. Here's one:

Doctor orders 650 mg of a med. The med comes in a powder, 1000 mg to a sealed vial. To mix, you need to add 2 ml of liquid (saline or other diluent). That makes about 2.2 (? just guessing here; it's been a while) of solution. How much do you give the patient?
Your problem has lots of holes, unsolvable. Please refute my statement by providing your fabulous solution.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yeah, they shouldn't teach basic arithmetic either. Too hard for some kids. Better yet, just get rid of all math requirements, starting from kindergarten. I don't want my tax money going towards something so useless.

You do realize that all of those things require a higher-than-basic grasp of algebra, like how to handle and think about indeterminates, etc.

Also, "abstract algebra" is the wrong term for whatever you're describing (high-school algebra, also known as "classical algebra").

Abstract algebra is an actual term which means something else: the study of mathematical objects such as groups, rings, fields/field extensions, modules, categories, algebraic varieties, and their homomorphisms (in other words, stuff which is wayyyy beyond high school algebra, though still very useful in the real world if one is interested in things like cybersecurity/cryptography/algorithm design, etc). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_algebra
All this, even by professionals, is NOT done longhand and is plugged into calculators for the sake of efficiency. Knowing WHICH calculator you need and WHAT data to plug in which spaces are your toughest problems you'll face.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shadow View Post
Your problem has lots of holes, unsolvable. Please refute my statement by providing your fabulous solution.
Unsolvable, my derriere!

2.2 ml = 1000 mg. You need 650 mg. 650 divided by 1000 = .65 That is how much of the solution you need.
2.2 X .65 = 1.43 goes into the patient.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:24 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
^^^And coming up with that solution used ALGEBRA!

Many people often don't recognize just how often they are actually using basic algebra because they don't take the time to write out the problem in the form of an equation with x marking the unknown quantity. But it's algebra all the same!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
I am not saying 12 year olds should decide what they want to do in life. I think high school should be about trying out different careers, like a simulation office, etc. so students have a better idea of what they want to do. When I was a teen adults always asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up and expected a concrete answer. Like what? Did they know what they want to be at that age? I dislike the mentality of these adults.
Well, that would be an apprenticeship, not school.

Not to say that apprenticeships are necessarily always a bad thing or that everyone absolutely must have X years in school (where X is often given as 13 or 17 if kindergarten is included).

But as long as most employers have a narrow-minded idea of what it means to be "educated", there is not much room to skip going through all those years of school. And even if employers allowed people other ways of demonstrating their competence, the subject of this thread is the utility of knowing algebra. And in that light, it is patently absurd to think that algebra isn't important. Without basic algebra, it is almost impossible to "plan ahead" with anything that has to be calculated - money, buying supplies to build something, etc.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
People have to work until age 67 to collect full social security. That's almost 50 years post high school. What's the big rush to get them out in the work world? High school should be for education. There's plenty of time to pick up a certificate, an AAS, or (gasp!) a college degree.
You are pre-supposing that no young people actually want to work, which is just not true at all.

Also, the idea that work should be something to dread rather than something to enjoy is itself socially constructed, at least to the extent that most people just accept doing something they hate as a "fact of life" and then project their feelings onto people who aren't even legally old enough to work yet. In my opinion, that is bizarre, but it seems so normal because you're used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education