Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 05:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^And coming up with that solution used ALGEBRA!

Many people often don't recognize just how often they are actually using basic algebra because they don't take the time to write out the problem in the form of an equation with x marking the unknown quantity. But it's algebra all the same!
Exactly. However, I'm geeky enough to actually write out the equations when I need to figure something out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^And coming up with that solution used ALGEBRA!

Many people often don't recognize just how often they are actually using basic algebra because they don't take the time to write out the problem in the form of an equation with x marking the unknown quantity. But it's algebra all the same!
I always love when people assume they just always knew what they know now.

...they should talk to some actual 9th graders.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I always love when people assume they just always knew what they know now.

...they should talk to some actual 9th graders.
Are you saying some of us didn't learn algebra in high school? I was an actual 9th grader at one time.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You are pre-supposing that no young people actually want to work, which is just not true at all.

Also, the idea that work should be something to dread rather than something to enjoy is itself socially constructed, at least to the extent that most people just accept doing something they hate as a "fact of life" and then project their feelings onto people who aren't even legally old enough to work yet. In my opinion, that is bizarre, but it seems so normal because you're used to it.
You are pre-supposing you can read my mind!

That said, while lots of kids may want to work, there is very little that a high school graduate with zero further education, whether he went to vo-tech or not, can do that will be financially remunerative and which will allow him to support himself and perhaps a family. Gone are the days when a young man can graduate from high school and get a job in some heavy industry factory that will pay a decent living wage. There aren't too many stimulating, personally fulfilling jobs at that level. Note that I'm talking about males. It's even harder for females. At every education level, women earn less than men.

What am I used to, pray tell?

Old 11-13-2019, 07:56 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shadow View Post
The whole thread was started by misunderstanding the term "Abstract Algebra". Every one can learn abstract algebra and leave no c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶ human behind. Let's make American smart again. Cheers.
I'm willing to serve as a guinea pig.

I gave up on the idea of a college degree at 24. I'd gone to night school attending to get a Bachelors in Accounting. I took Accounting I, II, and III. I got through Business Law. Loved English Literature. Liked Psychology. High grades in all.

But there were entrance exams to see where you placed in English and Math. My English exam put me in the Lit class. The Math exam was bewildering. They gave me a sheath of paper that I didn't use. It's like looking at hieroglyphics to me.

I had to take and pay for a remedial math class, and I failed. I would think I was getting it in class, then I went home and tried to do homework, and it was hieroglyphics again.

I gave up. I was never going to be able to get a degree without Math. I was working full time and taking classes at night, and I was exhausted. There was a way to move from clerical into management by taking CLEP exams if you had no degree. Oddly, I passed the Math CLEP with a higher-than-average score. It was multiple choice, and I guessed.

But it bugs me personally that I was unable to grasp Algebra in high school.

So, whaddya think? Can a 61-year-old teach herself basic algebra?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:15 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, that's the long way round, but I admit you did solve it without using an algebraic substitution.

Here's how I solve it. 3 lines. One calculation.

S = selling price

(1-0.55)S = 225
0.45S = 225
S = 225/0.45 = 409.09

Which is actually easier to do, ten lines of calculation, or three lines of manipulation?

I hate to break the bad news to you, but your equation is WRONG. You have the correct answer, but you don't get it by dividing 225 by 0.45.

The equation should read:

0.55S = 225
S = 225/0.55 = 409.09

Old 11-13-2019, 08:38 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I hate to break the bad news to you, but your equation is WRONG. You have the correct answer, but you don't get it by dividing 225 by 0.45.

The equation should read:

0.55S = 225
S = 225/0.55 = 409.09
Aaahh, you're right, of course, I forgot what I wrote in the original problem.

The point remains that that big complicated roundy-round with equal proportions and I don't know what all else, is replaced by two to three lines of simple algebraic calculations (you didn't include the very first line which you've left as implicit which would be

(1-0.45)S = 225.)

Old 11-13-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Does anyone want to try my problem?

Let me say, as a nurse who worked in a small office, I had to calculate drug doses frequently. Here's one:

Doctor orders 650 mg of a med. The med comes in a powder, 1000 mg to a sealed vial. To mix, you need to add 2 ml of liquid (saline or other diluent). That makes about 2.2 (? just guessing here; it's been a while) of solution. How much do you give the patient?
If the mixed solution makes 2.2 ml then,

0.650(2.2) = 1.43 ml of solution

Easy peasey.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Aaahh, you're right, of course, I forgot what I wrote in the original problem.

The point remains that that big complicated roundy-round with equal proportions and I don't know what all else, is replaced by two to three lines of simple algebraic calculations (you didn't include the very first line which you've left as implicit which would be

(1-0.45)S = 225.)
I didn't include the first line (that you included) because the first line is totally unnecessary. All you need is a simple statement of fact in the form of an equation. This is accomplished by writing 0.55S = 225 Now simply solve for S. Anything more is unnecessary and therefore redundant.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:04 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you saying some of us didn't learn algebra in high school? I was an actual 9th grader at one time.
I don't know what you know. I do have a pretty decent idea of what my students know, and they would not (generally) be able to solve those problems prior to Algebra I.

I also don't think that having been a teenager once qualifies you as an expert on teenagers. Memory is deceptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education