Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 02:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycatherine View Post
I'm quoting myself so you can reread with the added knowledge that I'm in my early 30s.
My career is within the field of child development, if you have any interest in that at all.
first of all, im not sure why people are making assumptions of what i do and dont do with my children. i never said what i do, just that i want this computer program to supplement what i do. shame on you for acting like a boomer!

i already discuss my daughter with people in the field of academic development who actually work directly with my daughter (and talk to me and my wife in person so they know more about what we do). nobody here has enough information to be saying what they are saying. but i expect boomers to think they know everything and have a heart attack whenever they hear about a computer. i expect better from a millenial!

btw, my kindergartner spends almost no time on her computer. but apparently i have outsourced her upbringing to an ipad even though she spends almost no time on one (and if she did, it wouldnt be a problem for me)

Old 11-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe she is just too young to learn yet

We ancient ones didn't have to learn to read until 1st grade. No kindergarten back then.

We did fine. Well not all. Not everyone likes to read. Lots of people don't like to read. They manage to survive.
i agree. she isnt as mature as my older one was in kindergarten. she is going to take a little more time to learn to read.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats really the opposite of what i am doing even though the assumption is that im trying to torment my daughter. there also seems to be a disconnect between how technology is used today and older people's understanding of how it is used.

i agree that some children arent yet ready for the expectations of kindergarten and my daughter is one of them. i am trying to find low stress ways of helping supplement her learning so she doesnt lag behind.
Quote:
i agree. she isnt as mature as my older one was in kindergarten. she is going to take a little more time to learn to read.
Her soul might be too young to be in kindergarten. When’s her birthday? My bigger concern isn’t that you want to find a computer program for her, my concern is that you don’t want to let her do anything fun until she scores a 95 or 100 on said program.

I have taught plenty of children born to millennials, so have dealt with many millennial parents, what gives with the chip on your shoulder over baby boomer teachers? You are aware, aren’t you, old farts though we might be, many of us have had decades of successfully helping children learn, right? And, guess what else, many of us, despite the wrinkles and doddering brains, know exactly how technology is used today to assist learning (gasp!) because we just used it just last week to teach children.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have taught plenty of children born to millennials, so have dealt with many millennial parents, what gives with the chip on your shoulder over baby boomer teachers? You are aware, aren’t you, old farts though we might be, many of us have had decades of successfully helping children learn, right? And, guess what else, many of us, despite the wrinkles and doddering brains, know exactly how technology is used today to assist learning (gasp!) because we just used it just last week to teach children.

Well, I can clearly see that the OP (unlike a number of people in their 20s and 30s who I work with) is so caught up in his generation-gap tantrum that his ears have flapped firmly closed.

That's OK, we all knew everything when we were in our 20s and 30s.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
.... i expect boomers to think they know everything and have a heart attack whenever they hear about a computer...

Ummm, you mean the people who invented the personal computer, the laptop computer, the cell phone, the smart phone, and all the modern OSs we know and love/hate?

Why don't you just go off and raise your kids your own way and stop asking advice if you're going to screen all advice you receive through your idiotic age (or age-like) filter?

You know, Dave Berg said "opinionated ignorance is a no-no" and I would have to say he hit this particular nail right on the head. Of course you don't know who Dave Berg is.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
first of all, im not sure why people are making assumptions of what i do and dont do with my children. i never said what i do, just that i want this computer program to supplement what i do. shame on you for acting like a boomer!

i already discuss my daughter with people in the field of academic development who actually work directly with my daughter (and talk to me and my wife in person so they know more about what we do). nobody here has enough information to be saying what they are saying. but i expect boomers to think they know everything and have a heart attack whenever they hear about a computer. i expect better from a millenial!

btw, my kindergartner spends almost no time on her computer. but apparently i have outsourced her upbringing to an ipad even though she spends almost no time on one (and if she did, it wouldnt be a problem for me)
I am a boomer and...

I did NOT make any assumptions about what you do or don't do. I have worked with computers as an IBM systems engineer so I have no problem with computers at all. What I do have a problem with is your idea that testing and grading are a good way to teach reading to a 5 year old. This is not a good way to teach reading even for an adult who is illiterate.

If you want to use a computer program, find one that makes the process fun not one that stresses testing.

Lots of parents I know like ABC Mouse.

https://www.abcmouse.com/kindergarten

Starfall is a good site as well.

https://www.starfall.com/h/

My grand children liked this site when they were 5 or 6.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am a boomer and...

I did NOT make any assumptions about what you do or don't do. I have worked with computers as an IBM systems engineer so I have no problem with computers at all. What I do have a problem with is your idea that testing and grading are a good way to teach reading to a 5 year old. This is not a good way to teach reading even for an adult who is illiterate.

If you want to use a computer program, find one that makes the process fun not one that stresses testing.

Lots of parents I know like ABC Mouse.

https://www.abcmouse.com/kindergarten

Starfall is a good site as well.

https://www.starfall.com/h/

My grand children liked this site when they were 5 or 6.
There's no sense engaging further, OP is an idiot.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:31 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
thats really the opposite of what i am doing even though the assumption is that im trying to torment my daughter. there also seems to be a disconnect between how technology is used today and older people's understanding of how it is used.

i agree that some children arent yet ready for the expectations of kindergarten and my daughter is one of them. i am trying to find low stress ways of helping supplement her learning so she doesnt lag behind.
You think so, huh? Just to let you know, this older person, boomer, geezer could spend ten minutes on Google and find a dozen things that will satisfy the request in your OP. It's too bad that you're not capable of the same - you seem to have a disconnect between how technology is used today and your own understanding of how it is used.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Her soul might be too young to be in kindergarten. When’s her birthday? My bigger concern isn’t that you want to find a computer program for her, my concern is that you don’t want to let her do anything fun until she scores a 95 or 100 on said program.
her birthday is 5/30. she is 5 while i see her friends are now turning 6. i am open to having her spend another year in kindergarten and (at this point) my wife is against it. we will discuss and make a decision when the time comes.

she will do plenty of fun things and she will get that grade as soon as she pays enough attention to the program. her main problem is that she doesnt want to focus on it, when she does she gets the questions right. my daughter loves school, loves everything and i dont want to take that from her. i do make a specific effort to maintain a good balance of working on learning and having fun.

like i said already, people are making these assumptions with no information because i never gave much info. i just asked a specific question that ideally would be answered by someone who has similarly aged kids and experience with a program. instead, i get lots of advice from people who just want to give their wisdom and dont want to give an answer to the question.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
her birthday is 5/30. she is 5 while i see her friends are now turning 6. i am open to having her spend another year in kindergarten and (at this point) my wife is against it. we will discuss and make a decision when the time comes.

her main problem is that she doesnt want to focus on it, when she does she gets the questions right. my daughter loves school, loves everything and i dont want to take that from her. i do make a specific effort to maintain a good balance of working on learning and having fun.

like i said already, people are making these assumptions with no information because i never gave much info. i just asked a specific question that ideally would be answered by someone who has similarly aged kids and experience with a program. instead, i get lots of advice from people who just want to give their wisdom and dont want to give an answer to the question.
My kids are just a little older than your daughter. One of my children was diagnosed with dyslexia in kindergarten. She had no interest in reading until she was in about second grade. She went to a specialized school for dyslexia from 1st through 3rd grades. The school's advice was no computer learning. It was all paper based and tactile based--they shaped letters in clay, in sand, in shaving cream. Every word she learned she had to write five times and say outloud five times. It was repetition and patience and no pressure.

My other child is not dyslexic but he didn't go to kindergarten until he was 6. When he started kindergarten, he didn't really know his letters and didn't have much interest in reading at all. He really didn't catch on until he was 7. Both kids are considered gifted and doing great in reading and language arts now. There is no race to teach a 5 year old to read. Let her explore her environment.

I'm not a boomer, but the boomers are giving you great advice. Children don't interact with computers--they interact with people and animals and objects they can touch and hold and play with. Let her color and draw and pretend. I don't think abstractions have clicked with her yet. Celebrate that and enjoy the magic of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education