Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
One of the things your school may be able to arrange is for you to talk to a parent or two who held their child back, hopefully both recently and years previously. That might be very helpful in addressing both of your concerns and it would be from a non-educator perspective of someone you might find more credible since they will have been similarly situated as you. Start by speaking to the school counselor to see if they would be willing to facilitate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Have you had her eyes tested by an eye doctor? Perhaps she needs glasses. Reading became easier for me when I got my first pair of glasses at age eight.
He didn't ask about how similar situations were handled by others. He didn't ask about eyesight, he doesn't want responses to anything but the precise question he asked. He does not believe that any of your experiences have any bearing whatsoever on his question. He apparently has thought of absolutely everything that could possibly be involved because his resentment for anything outside of the extremely narrow path he has blazed here is totally irrelevant to him, even if all those things may be of benefit to other parents on this open, not private, forum in similar situations who find the best way to address a situation is with an open mind.

You must be boomers. Horrors.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i like responding. i think im being civil. everyone is free to respond and i respond back. the people who make posts responsive to my request are trying to help me (and thanks to them, they are awesome!). the people who make posts because they like to give advice that wasnt asked for are trying to make themselves feel superior and like to be impressed with themselves. if they can judge my parenting based on almost no information then i think its fair to judge them a bit as well.
They are not trying to be superior, they are trying to help. What you see as being judgmental is in reality being evaluative. Educational issues created by the over reliance on technology is a common problem seen by educators, those anecdotal conversations are being backed up because indeed very recent research has shown it is having a negative impact on early intrinsic reading motivation, information retention, attention spans, and delayed gratification. When these people who you have labeled as superior are trying to tell you to read physical books (including me) or not to over rely on technology to address this, they are trying to point out a common cause and solution, because they know from experience that most people don’t consider there is a negative side to early heavy use of technology or realize the impact of the complete abandonment of traditional written formats by role models on young children. They aren’t judging your parenting, they know nothing about your parenting other than what you tell us. You said you wanted a computer program, they (many are educators) are merely trying to let you know not that may not help as much as you assume, but here are things they know that have worked with other children.

When you ask for help in an Internet forum you don’t get to dictate who can and who can’t participate. On our site forums you don’t “own” a thread, you are a participant in it, just the same as every other poster.

You have not been civil in all your responses, some have been outright insulting. You are free to respond, you are not free to be obnoxious if you don’t approve of their answer.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:31 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
This is not an online program, it's a workbook, but I would highly recommend it. I went through it with my son the summer before he started kindergarten. He was 4 when we started, and he was reading very well by the end of the summer.

If you were to decide to do it, it is important that you follow the program exactly as described, even when it seems tedious. I think this may be better than an online program, your daughter may enjoy working with you one on one.

https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Ch.../dp/0671631985
(One of those horrible boomers here so the OP is free to ignore. This is for anyone else who may be reading.)

This program was amazing and yes, while it did at first seem very stodgy and boring, the miracle was that it worked so quickly, and my daughter went on to become quite a proficient reader. So much so in fact that when we were all reading the Harry Potter series, we’d give her the newest book to read first because she would read it within hours, rather than the days the rest of us required. .

It helped during the program that I was sitting with her and she had my undivided attention during that 10-15 min of time. We went thru two lessons per day but stopped by around lesson 60 because she was starting to read simple books so we switched over to those. The first time we tried it she wasn’t ready so I shelved it for later and waited till she was.

The program is based on an educational method called direct instruction which
Quote:
relies on a systematic curriculum design, delivered by implementation of a prescribed behavioral script. On the premise that all students can learn and all teachers successfully teach if given effective training in specific techniques, teachers may be evaluated based on measurable student learning
from wiki. It sounds really boring but the beauty of DI is that it works so quickly that you can soon move into the fun exploratory part of learning. Instead of spending a week exploring each letter and the sound it makes, they start reading right away and that success is what motivates. It also works really well with special ed kids because success is built in right from the beginning and then you can move straight into the more interesting activities.

I had two girls but didn’t know about this with the first daughter. She learned in K with help from me but never became quite the ubiquitous reader that my second daughter did. Of course it may be a matter of personalities as well.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
He didn't ask about how similar situations were handled by others. He didn't ask about eyesight, he doesn't want responses to anything but the precise question he asked. He does not believe that any of your experiences have any bearing whatsoever on his question. He apparently has thought of absolutely everything that could possibly be involved because his resentment for anything outside of the extremely narrow path he has blazed here is totally irrelevant to him, even if all those things may be of benefit to other parents on this open, not private, forum in similar situations who find the best way to address a situation is with an open mind.

You must be boomers. Horrors.
finally, someone who gets me!!!

Old 11-19-2019, 09:06 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm going to make a leap and say an online program is a bad idea.

One thing a child needs to learn is to pay attention when a parent or teacher says so. And the penalizing should come from a person, not a machine. If you don't do something about her lack of interest in learning, you're going to have bigger problems down the line.

Make sure it isn't another problem, like having poor vision or being too wound up on sugar.
the machine scores, it doesnt penalize.

there seems to be a fear of technology that isnt appropriate. im not really sure why an online program that incorporates reading, pictures, video, interaction, etc. is something that would be seen as a negative. i would even be there next to her to help her go through it if that helps her.

last night i played a game that my daughter's teacher gave her to take home. it is very interesting working with her. she would cry when she got something wrong and get easily frustrated. maybe people have the wrong idea about me here but i am as patient as anyone and also as positive as you can be. even with the complaining, she still wanted to keep doing it. she is something else. i really love working working with her. not something my wife would be good at though. people seem to want to make the assumption that because i use a computer program as part of my children's education that i am trying to get out of the process. im the one helping my kids with their homework, im reading the stories and im going through the learning games (including tablet games) (and i thoroughly enjoy every minute of it).

Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
(One of those horrible boomers here so the OP is free to ignore. This is for anyone else who may be reading.)

This program was amazing and yes, while it did at first seem very stodgy and boring, the miracle was that it worked so quickly, and my daughter went on to become quite a proficient reader. So much so in fact that when we were all reading the Harry Potter series, we’d give her the newest book to read first because she would read it within hours, rather than the days the rest of us required. .
Well I am a millennial and I suggested it I got to maybe lesson 70 before kindergarten started. My son is now in 1st grade and is a fantastic reader. His little sister is 3 and I plan on going through the program with her in about a year. I'm not excited to go through that stodgy and boring book again, but I will because it worked great.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Well I am a millennial and I suggested it I got to maybe lesson 70 before kindergarten started. My son is now in 1st grade and is a fantastic reader. His little sister is 3 and I plan on going through the program with her in about a year. I'm not excited to go through that stodgy and boring book again, but I will because it worked great.
I went through it three times! Not once did we make it all the way to the end, because around Lesson 75 the kids were getting restless and we moved to beginning readers, but the first three-quarters was great.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Thread closed. Comments that insult other posters are not permitted. Ageism will not be tolerated. In the future, I would very much appreciate it if you would report rude posts and DO NOT RESPOND OR QUOTE THE RUDE POST IN A RESPONSE. I tried to just edit this thread to salvage some of the discussion, but too many posters quoted the rude posts, which made it nearly impossible. I give up. Report. It goes right to my e-mail.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education