Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 05:05 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times

Advertisements

Meet-up groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 03:33 AM

8 posts, read 2,237 times
I think the best way to learn another language is to remember words. For example, every day 10 words, and then repeat. The result for month will be 300 words! It is enough to speak on an elementary level.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:48 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
I use Duolingo. I've been learning Italian for around 170 days straight now, and have a vocabulary of around 600 words, plus am very comfortable with sentence structure basics.

I actually pay for the "plus" service because I enjoy it so much. But you can do a lot for free.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:22 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drandolph74 View Post
I agree with this, I recently encountered a co-worker that works in a different city except for one day a week at my office. He is applying for Med school and his chosen University is USC.

One of the Prereqs were that he speak fluent Spanish for better patient interaction/quality.
He works 2 jobs and is busy writing essays to different university acceptance programs.
He asked me if he should invest in programs online or at home learning? My answer to him is that Spanish is so diverse, depends on country, township ect. He stated that most programs are based on proper Spanish ( From Spain) and I chuckled! I have a hard time with this kind of Spanish.

I suggested just as you stated, hiring a tutor, or a friend whom is fluent in conversational Spanish but also able to translate Medical terms correctly.
Also please make sure your friend knows that language tutors are professionals and charge more per classes than if the student goes to a group class. An advantage of a private tutor is that they can tailor the class including specific professional vocabulary that the student needs to learn which usually isn't the case in a group class.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Anybody learn a language using an on line course or some other type of alternative learning program?

I've always wanted to learn another language (french) and of course since it's the holidays I'm hearing all kinds of commercials for Babel, frenchpod, etc etc.

finally going to give it a try. unfortunately I can't attend classes right now. anyone have luck with any of these programs?

TIA
I just ran into a guy at my gym, who taught himself Chinese (including the writing) from an online course, and he speaks it fluently. I happened to walk in when he and a Chinese woman in one of his gym classes were talking together, and his skills are amazing! It took him 8 years to get to the point, where he can discuss the news, real estate, all manner of specialized topics, but he taught himself entirely online, without outside help. Now he has a live person to practice with, but for many years, he didn't.

So it can be done. I'm impressed as all get-out, and want to look up that program, so I can use it to brush up, and then progress further.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Also please make sure your friend knows that language tutors are professionals and charge more per classes than if the student goes to a group class. An advantage of a private tutor is that they can tailor the class including specific professional vocabulary that the student needs to learn which usually isn't the case in a group class.
The downside of taking a group class, like at a university, is that progress is slow. You have to sit through the inevitable basic grammar explanations, which usually cover English grammar concepts first, because so few students reaching college level even know what the parts of speech are. If you're an experienced language learner, or have a good ear, the pace of a large class can be frustratingly slow.

You pay a private tutor more, but you progress at your speed, if the tutor is adaptable and not to rigid in their structuring of the lessons. So you get more bang for your buck, in that way. You can potentially cover one year of language in one semester or less, for example, depending on how much time you put into it.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:28 AM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Default Why complicate things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think those programs will suck. The best way, which is hard for many to organize is actually being in the country where the language is spoken.

Failing that, the more interactions you have with speakers of those languages the better. If you took classes and say regularly interacted with French speakers or spoke to those who want to do a French/English language exchange, great.

Keep in mind French various enormously on the region of France and you have a collection of languages that can be pretty different from each other. Spain and Italy are the same way.
There are like 28 different regional accents spoken in France, but “Parisian” or “Metropolitan” French is pretty much the standard. One would do fine and able to communicate most everywhere in France with Parisian French. I grew up learning ( and became fluent) speaking English, French, and Spanish, both Latin and Castilian. I am currently living in France and have had no issues with the different dialogues spoken here although some of the accents are a little hard to understand. If the OP’s goal is to learn to speak French I think Parisian French would be the way to go. Why complicate things?
Same with Spain ( I have relatives living in Spain and have visited often.) While there may be different dialogues spoken, Castilian is pretty much the standard Spanish spoken and if one can speak Castilian Spanish they should be able to communicate well enough to get by. And trust me... if one makes the attempt to speak the language of the country that they visiting ( rather than speaking English louder and using hand gestures) ... the natives will cut you a lot of slack if you mess up. Lol
Netflix has some French movies and “FluentU” has a lot of foreign language movies to watch online, but it comes with a 30.00 a month fee. Amazon Prime has a good variety of French language films and shows too, starting at 1.00 to rent.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:31 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I use Duolingo. I've been learning Italian for around 170 days straight now, and have a vocabulary of around 600 words, plus am very comfortable with sentence structure basics.

I actually pay for the "plus" service because I enjoy it so much. But you can do a lot for free.
Markjames68,

May I ask how much the pay-option for duolingo costs and how often you pay?

I'd rather ask you than google.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Markjames68,

May I ask how much the pay-option for duolingo costs and how often you pay?

I'd rather ask you than google.
I just checked Google Play - $83.88 a year. $6.99 a month.

If you don’t use it it’s a waste, but I’ve found it good so far. The advantage of paying is you get unlimited tries in lessons and some other perks.

Note - I learned French through an immersion program in middle and high school, so functional (and with practice, very serviceable). Italian isn’t a far stretch although there are similar words with different meanings (e.g., “il”). Because both are Romance languages I feel as confident using Italian as I would French, within my limited vocabulary so far. If you have never learned a second language it will take you longer once you’re out of childhood.

I also plan to use it for other languages. I started Mandarin but it’s not my focus right now.

Old 02-23-2020, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 293 times
If you commit to learning French (or any other language for that matter) it is a great practice to surround yourself with all kinds of entertainment in French. For example, watching your favorite shows in French with English subtitles. This way your learning process is not associated with routine. Not to mention that it is quite productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education