Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:04 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I would reconsider and take parentologists suggestion about re evaluation.

My son was originally diagnosed with ADD, diagnosed in 2nd grade. He was on medication for a few years but I stopped giving it to him. I felt it was useless and not appropriate. One of his teachers in 4th grade suggested that I get him evaluated for autism spectrum privately. I always knew he was a bit different, was very rule oriented and ridged in his ways but no classic autism traits. Very verbal, far above his age. Would rather spend time with adults. He loved taking theater classes and memorized lines and inflections quickly. So I brought him to be diagnosed. Asperger's, now called autism spectrum. It's hard to think of him with "autism" because that just doesn't fit so I still call it Asperger's.

If you read my previous post you can see that my son really struggled at the age your son is now. A re-evaluation may really help. The one done in kindergarten may not have picked up on subtle things at that age which may be more pronounced when older. Plus, it may help getting the result you may, or your son anyway, staying at the school he seems to be doing well and coping better at with a IEP.

I found a clinic in my area, Alexander Clinic, that specializes in evaluations, I am in Minnesota. I would imagine this type of service is not available in all areas so do some searching, get referrals from pediatricians.
Izie, I think this is very good advice.

Both in terms of sped diagnoses and placement (or should I say lack of placement) in gifted programs is not something that -- for many kids -- should be a one-time process. There is such a change in kids at various times in their school programs that these issues need to be looked at periodically.

I also agree that I don't approve of the newer way of just calling Asperger's "autism spectrum". Yes, it may be part of the spectrum, but I think it's a VERY DIFFERENT part of the spectrum.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
This thread has run it's course. OP, for your sake, I am closing the thread. Feel free to update if there are new events with a new post and link this one to it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-03-2020 at 06:38 AM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education