Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Our youngest son graduated Med School in 2018. Early in his program he told me the differences between the MD and DO degree were insignificant to non-existent. In fact, a surprising percentage, maybe 1/3, of the Professors teaching his MD program were DO's themselves! I 'believe' his Residency Program is treating both degrees as equal when interviewing and accepting new Med School graduates - but I could be wrong.

If your son is allowing suggestions, suggest he apply to both types of programs using location, strength of intended specialty program, reputation, availability of scholarship funds, overall lower costs, etc., as the deciding factors. Med School is so difficult to enter, why would anyone want to eliminate half of the potential schools when the profession now treats the degrees as equals?

Yea. No. It's easy to see the "profession" does not treat MD and DO degrees the same. Although DO grads are represented in every specialty MD grads are accepted into competitive and very competitive residencies at much higher rates. DOs are greatly overrepresented in the primary care fields. DO grads also fail to match at much higher rates than MD grads.

Another problem is DO schools tend to be more expensive than top state schools.

Many DO schools are not affiliated with large hospitals ergo a student may be forced to find his/her own 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations a long way off - maybe states away. One of my son's friends went to DO school in Kentucky but several of his 3rd and 4th year rotations were in Oklahoma.

It's all in here.
https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn...2019_final.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 02:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That poster previously said people have $1mil in student loan debt after going to medical school. That is so far from the truth. Someone else pointed out that the average debt is about $250k. Many state medical schools have tuition that is about $35k a year. That should be about $200-220k with living expenses.
That is still really bad debt.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is still really bad debt.
Depends upon income. $250K with a $100K income is one thing. The same with a $300K income is another.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Depends upon income. $250K with a $100K income is one thing. The same with a $300K income is another.
With $300K income, the take-home cash is probably $180. $250K debt with interests is still a lot.
My income is far from $300k, and 40% go to taxes, 401k, insurance etc.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
How much would a doctor make during his or her residency?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
Last I’ve heart it’s $50k plus and minus. My niece had to live with that salary in HCOL like LA.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
With $300K income, the take-home cash is probably $180. $250K debt with interests is still a lot.
My income is far from $300k, and 40% go to taxes, 401k, insurance etc.
Sure it's a lot. But the value proposition $250K debt vs. a life with a very low chance of any unemployment and very solid income would be worth it in nearly all cases. Only becoming vague as income reaches the lower strata of doc. pay.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
How much would a doctor make during his or her residency?
My son is a PGY-3 neurosurgery resident. His pay is a shade less than $65,000. His wife is a PGY-1, internal medicine headed towards oncology, at a different school IIRC her pay is about $57,000. Residency pay varies a bit by school, year and field.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Sure it's a lot. But the value proposition $250K debt vs. a life with a very low chance of any unemployment and very solid income would be worth it in nearly all cases. Only becoming vague as income reaches the lower strata of doc. pay.
The other issue is cost of setting up a practice, if one decides to do so.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Yea. No. It's easy to see the "profession" does not treat MD and DO degrees the same. Although DO grads are represented in every specialty MD grads are accepted into competitive and very competitive residencies at much higher rates. DOs are greatly overrepresented in the primary care fields. DO grads also fail to match at much higher rates than MD grads.

Another problem is DO schools tend to be more expensive than top state schools.

Many DO schools are not affiliated with large hospitals ergo a student may be forced to find his/her own 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations a long way off - maybe states away. One of my son's friends went to DO school in Kentucky but several of his 3rd and 4th year rotations were in Oklahoma.

It's all in here.
https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn...2019_final.pdf
Part of the mission of osteopathic medicine is a focus on primary care, so I don’t think you can fault the schooling for graduates being “over represented” in primary care fields. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is a worse option, it just means it is a different option and that applicants have to decide what their interests are before entering the program. Someone who wants to enter dermatology or neurosurgery might not be best served by choosing to attend a school of osteopathic medicine. My mom is a mostly retired (MD) physician and sees nothing wrong with choosing it as an option and thinks DOs are better prepared for a career in primary care than MDs are.

Through this year, the AOA had is own match, so simply looking at the NRMP doesn’t paint the whole picture as osteopathic students could choose to do the AOA match or the NRMP. Starting in spring, everyone has to do the NRMP. Students from osteopathic medical schools tended to do slightly worse on the USMLE, so that might have also had something to do with the lower rates of acceptance into more competitive residencies. I am not sure how that will change with a combined program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education