Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 02:29 PM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What a crock of . . . compost! I just had to second the comments by EDS. MDs do not work under the supervision of PhDs.

As for the rest of your post, it's a bit misogynist.

A doctor can make a mistake and kill someone. It's an awesome responsibility.
Compost is a very kind word for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 03:13 PM

804 posts, read 547,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What a crock of

As for the rest of your post, it's a bit misogynist.

A doctor can make a mistake and kill someone. It's an awesome responsibility.
I forget when I wrote that but that is how it is as far as I am concerned that is what I have seen and experienced...... I believe that was another thread??? I write from a guys perspective from being around women of various sources. What I study/work in has a lot of women and they talk. I see it coming a mile away.

If it was up to me, while I would promote the idea of somebody being a medical doctor ( M.D / D.O / phd /OJT ....ditto ) It is a "job" like any other job and that is for income. Does not prepare anybody for the world after that fact.

About killing someone. Exactly like my grandmother injection being switched to pills ( note she is a nurse who did that for a living ), My cousin who was in a mental ward being given suicidal pills. Anybody going to arrest them? Nope. Sad part is I believe in god because I know what Charles Bronson would do.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:13 PM

377 posts, read 384,015 times
As a former electrical engineer who is now a doctor, I have to say that the term "engineer" is a complete misnomer in how it is used in today's society.

Engineering USED to the use of applied mathematics in a problem-solving context. In today's world, "engineering" means designing ANYTHING, regardless of whether math is used or not. It's a joke.

Hell under today's definition, a high school girl who designs a dress is a "fashion engineer"

It's a completely worthless and watered-down term now.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
To become a legitimate engineer one must pass calculus, linear algebra, general physics, and a load of specialized courses with advanced mathematics. Only those who never went through them (including you) would say anyone can succeed. After they finish the course work, they are selected again by the job market, many weak ones are eliminated.
That used to be true, but it's not true any longer. Software "engineers" don't have to take those courses.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What if we import doctors from India and other third world countries?
Some barriers are artificial.
Healthcare is not a free market, therefore flooding the market with more doctors will not lower costs, it will raise them.

McAllen Texas is a perfect example of this. Between 1980 and 2005, the number of doctors per capita in McAllen increased by over 200% as city leaders started throwing out economic incentives and new hospitals were built.

In a normal free market economy, that means healthcare costs would go down and salaries for doctors would also go down. Neither one of those things happened. Healthcare costs skyrocketed and McAllen suddenly became the 2nd most expensive healthcare market per capita in Texas.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,503,219 times
Doctors are just Veterinarians who specialize in one species of primates!

Old 12-29-2019, 03:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
Healthcare is not a free market, therefore flooding the market with more doctors will not lower costs, it will raise them.

McAllen Texas is a perfect example of this. Between 1980 and 2005, the number of doctors per capita in McAllen increased by over 200% as city leaders started throwing out economic incentives and new hospitals were built.

In a normal free market economy, that means healthcare costs would go down and salaries for doctors would also go down. Neither one of those things happened. Healthcare costs skyrocketed and McAllen suddenly became the 2nd most expensive healthcare market per capita in Texas.

Medical costs are "free market" only in this of sense of the supply/demand law: demand goes up when people are covered by insurance. When demand goes up, prices go up. Econ 101.

Medical costs are met almost without question by the insurance carriers because they are free to recover their own costs by raising rates a little on many people and it goes almost without notice, particularly when someone else is paying it-- employers or the govt.

Follow history-- prior to WWII, almost nobody had health insurance. Doctors eked out a meager living, being paid in eggs as often as in cash. The Three Stooges found $67 in a can in their trash heap. It was almost enough to pay for Little Tommy's club-foot operation.....Then came the rise of unions after The War and coverage expanded and doctors started earning a comfortable living....When Medicare was enacted in 1966, medical practice became lucrative. I personally know several docs who were already established at the time who quickly learned how to game the situation and they quickly became millionaires...Enter (U)ACA and costs have gone up again....As they say" Ifg you think med care is expensive now, just wait until it becomes "free."

Back to the OP about encouraging kids to go into medicine: There's a lot of easier paths to position themselves for a comfortable living, and the way technology & the govt has entered the picture, there's no longer as much satisfaction in it....I view it like my take on being a cop--Anyone who wants to be one probably shouldn't be allowed to be one. What's wrong with them?

Old 12-29-2019, 12:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
That used to be true, but it's not true any longer. Software "engineers" don't have to take those courses.
Software engineers are not really engineers. Engineering is a branch of applied physics.

That being said, most software engineers with a college degree still need to pass calculus and linear algebra, in addition to algorithms and operating systems. Definitely not everyone can handle.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:01 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,906,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is quite sad, not only will it be difficult for the child but it makes your wife look like she's easily impressed with other people's occupations. Unless you can pay for med school the child will wind up owing 120K or more. There is really no way to groom a child to go into a particular field if they have no interest in it.
https://pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif
I agree it is very sad, and will ultimately have unforeseen effects on the children psychologically. The best people in their careers are those who ACTUALLY want to do them. I live in coastal California and to purchase a home being a doctor is simply not enough to even afford a basic home. so to answer your question NO, it's all about the unconventional over here. Entrepreneurial pursuits are the most coveted all you had to do is look around the internet. those who are regarded the highest are the successful entrepreneurs who had the odds stacked against them. You rarely read about individual doctors as doctors will never make millions in a single year.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:39 PM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Medical costs are "free market" only in this of sense of the supply/demand law: demand goes up when people are covered by insurance. When demand goes up, prices go up. Econ 101.

Medical costs are met almost without question by the insurance carriers because they are free to recover their own costs by raising rates a little on many people and it goes almost without notice, particularly when someone else is paying it-- employers or the govt.

Follow history-- prior to WWII, almost nobody had health insurance. Doctors eked out a meager living, being paid in eggs as often as in cash. The Three Stooges found $67 in a can in their trash heap. It was almost enough to pay for Little Tommy's club-foot operation.....Then came the rise of unions after The War and coverage expanded and doctors started earning a comfortable living....When Medicare was enacted in 1966, medical practice became lucrative. I personally know several docs who were already established at the time who quickly learned how to game the situation and they quickly became millionaires...Enter (U)ACA and costs have gone up again....As they say" Ifg you think med care is expensive now, just wait until it becomes "free."

Back to the OP about encouraging kids to go into medicine: There's a lot of easier paths to position themselves for a comfortable living, and the way technology & the govt has entered the picture, there's no longer as much satisfaction in it....I view it like my take on being a cop--Anyone who wants to be one probably shouldn't be allowed to be one. What's wrong with them?
It isn't just insurance though. The docs. you mentioned before WWII didn't have access to antibiotics let alone chemotherapies, tPA, useful imaging and a thousand other things. The $5 house call meant the doc. showed up with a bag holding iodine, alcohol, medicinal whiskey, tongue depressors a stethoscope and some bandages.

In other words the problem solving ability of the modern doctor is orders of magnitude greater than his pre-WWII brothers and sisters. With that comes complexity, greatly increased educational requirements etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education