Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 PM

27,650 posts, read 28,750,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
My kids are in college and they and their friends are a very high achieving group. My son's best friend has wanted to be a doctor since forever and has all A's in pre-med at a respected university. He's sent his applications for med school and no one is calling. He is starting to panic. He couldn't do better in school than he has done, so it just goes to show how competitive it is. Do not push your kids this way unless they are genius kids who have a great back up plan when their brains don't get them far enough.
Your MCAT score is going to determine whether you get into med school.

Regardless of your undergrad gpa, if your MCAT score is too low then you're not getting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:06 PM

10,372 posts, read 8,013,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Regardless of your undergrad gpa, if your MCAT score is too low then you're not getting in.
MCAT score is only part of it. You can have a high MCAT score and still not get in.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come to pass View Post
If it’s not the most coveted, then it should be. In a life full of regret, it is my greatest. If I had kids and they had decent academic ability, I’d tell them the must take a shot at it. They only other worthwhile academic pursuit is computer science/engineering in my opinion simply because of the demand. From my experience, nothing else compares in opportunity or career outcome.

It kills me to read the parents bragging on here about their kids who are doctors or in med school. I wish it could be my parents bragging along with them. Makes me wish a semi truck hits me on the way home from work because the regret is very painful. I know I had the academic ability, but I listened to the wrong people and pursued something less significant.
It is sad to have such a narrow view. There are many worthwhile careers out there! Some may not pay tons of money, but they are worthwhile in terms of personal satisfaction.

I sincerely hope none of my kids go to professional schools after college (dental, med, etc) because I don't want them saddled with massive student loan debt. A lot of these professionals carry huge debt that it will take many years to pay off.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,280,429 times
Quote:
If it’s not the most coveted, then it should be. In a life full of regret, it is my greatest. If I had kids and they had decent academic ability, I’d tell them the must take a shot at it. They only other worthwhile academic pursuit is computer science/engineering in my opinion simply because of the demand. From my experience, nothing else compares in opportunity or career outcome.

It kills me to read the parents bragging on here about their kids who are doctors or in med school. I wish it could be my parents bragging along with them. Makes me wish a semi truck hits me on the way home from work because the regret is very painful. I know I had the academic ability, but I listened to the wrong people and pursued something less significant.
You're revering the wrong things for the wrong reasons, man.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,773,439 times
Quote:
It seems you are only thinking about job market.
Then many other careers can make bigger money.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:59 PM

19,885 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
MCAT score is only part of it. You can have a high MCAT score and still not get in.
Yes. But in reality the MCAT score is big part of it.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:17 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,949,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It is sad to have such a narrow view. There are many worthwhile careers out there! Some may not pay tons of money, but they are worthwhile in terms of personal satisfaction.

I sincerely hope none of my kids go to professional schools after college (dental, med, etc) because I don't want them saddled with massive student loan debt. A lot of these professionals carry huge debt that it will take many years to pay off.
There are ways to reduce/eliminate the cost thru planning and good fortune if they truly desire such a career.

Our oldest rescinded his Michigan Residency and became a resident of Florida to qualify for the much lower In-State tuition for the Univ of Florida Law School. UF's Law School was the least expensive Tier 1 school at the time of his applications in 2004.

Our youngest received a full-ride scholarship to Med School. I had never heard of such scholarships, I do not know how rare or common these scholarships are, and he didn't anticipate receiving any scholarship, but they are out there. Naturally, this influenced his choice for Med School. What ~$250K scholarship wouldn't?.

Children of a Construction Manager and a Teacher's Aide, so well heeled connections are not a mandatory prerequisite.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:34 AM

9 posts, read 4,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Maybe to you there are other worthwhile careers. I am not creative, artistic or entrepreneurial in any way. I am a nice person who is very disciplined and lives to grind out work. I can spend hours studying, do very well on a wide variety of standardized tests, and can spend hours and hours working. From my experience, that makes a good med student and resident if not ultimately doctor. I didn't realize this soon enough, but I certainly do regret it now.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:27 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,167,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Agreed. MCATs are fine in this case, but he is considering taking a gap year and doing the MCAT again as it's all he can do at this point.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 AM

19,885 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Agreed. MCATs are fine in this case, but he is considering taking a gap year and doing the MCAT again as it's all he can do at this point.
He could get a masters over that gap year. If he has Bs in any of the medical core related classes he could take those again and ace them. Maybe he could gain some hours in a medically related volunteer effort. Or all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education