Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2020, 11:06 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Reputation: 57739

Advertisements

Our grandson age 8 wants to be an archeologist. I have heard that many kids once they get to be 12-14 want to be Youtubers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2020, 03:31 PM
 
9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Reputation: 14004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our grandson age 8 wants to be an archeologist. I have heard that many kids once they get to be 12-14 want to be Youtubers.
Well, when you have 8-year-olds making $26 million a year reviewing toys on YouTube, then you know why!

Eight-year-old tops YouTube list of high earners with $26 million

I'm hoping he at least gives his parents an allowance or maybe paid off their house for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2020, 03:35 PM
 
Location: S-E Michigan
4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Reputation: 10864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Agreed. MCATs are fine in this case, but he is considering taking a gap year and doing the MCAT again as it's all he can do at this point.
We have friends whose daughter faced this same dilemma. She did a gap year, studied for a higher MCAT score, worked/volunteered in a clinical setting for more experience, and other things. I think she endured two application cycles of disappointment. She then changed lanes and became a Physcians Assistant. As a PA she now performs surgery in a Bariatric Clinic.

Slightly different career lane but her dream has been achieved.

If his grades are excellent and MCAT scores are excellent, maybe he would benefit from Dale Carnegie or other training during the gap year to improve interview skills. A suggestion, not an insult. It made a world of difference for me 30 years ago.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-10-2020 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2020, 05:38 PM
 
Location: S-E Michigan
4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Reputation: 10864
Quote:
Originally Posted by come to pass View Post
It kills me to read the parents bragging on here about their kids who are doctors or in med school. I wish it could be my parents bragging along with them. Makes me wish a semi truck hits me on the way home from work because the regret is very painful. I know I had the academic ability, but I listened to the wrong people and pursued something less significant.
What do you like to do? There is always time to change careers and reinvent yourself. Both my sons had previous careers before making major changes due to employment opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2020, 08:51 PM
 
Location: League City
3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Reputation: 5364
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well, when you have 8-year-olds making $26 million a year reviewing toys on YouTube, then you know why!

Eight-year-old tops YouTube list of high earners with $26 million

I'm hoping he at least gives his parents an allowance or maybe paid off their house for them.
That's like chasing the NBA. Out of all those who try, how many make it, and how sustainable is it for the average guy/gal who manages to make a living as a youtuber but with more modest earnings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2020, 06:24 AM
 
9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Reputation: 14004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
That's like chasing the NBA. Out of all those who try, how many make it, and how sustainable is it for the average guy/gal who manages to make a living as a youtuber but with more modest earnings.
No doubt, it's basically like catching lightning in a bottle or winning the lottery, if you happen to be that next PewDiePie or Ryan ToysReview!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2020, 01:02 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I know a number of docs. and lawyers. Docs. on balance make more money.

It's absolutely not, "very easy to get into medical school these days"................the numbers run counter to your claim.
Your numbers are either rumor or from 45 years ago.

When you consider a true "pre-Med" college student with some drive and above average smarts who began pursuing a medical career sometime in high school, the odds are definitely in your favor.

45 years ago the ratio of med school applicants to med school slots was 6:1. Today it's more like 1.3:1. Way more med school slots and way less applicants. Do the math.

Many med schools (especially the newer ones which there are dozens) as usual, have to fill those seats every year in order to maintain their federal government funding - allotted on a seat filled basis. So they must fill every class. That was not a problem 45 years ago because post war baby boom (huge applicant pool), plus very qualified applicants like engineering grads (whose engineering career was vanishing as they graduated and so they decided overnight to just be an orthopedic surgeon). Those engine students could blast anybody out of the water on the MCAT - just based on their advanced math and physics background. That was bad news for the sincere pre-med applicant, something I think still lingers in many people's minds (hence my use of the word "rumor.")

Today, those same "math minds" simply go get a biz degree. 10X easier, and if you know how to make "connections" you can do quite well. Banking is now in the top two industries in the US today - based on numbers of workers in that field. Meantime, medicine incomes for all but a few specialties has declined relative to all incomes as insurance companies and government price setting have gained increasing control on their incomes and, in fact, what they can do and get reimbursed in patient care. Consequently med schools today attract a far less competitive bunch, and with so many new med schools out there, your odds of getting admitted are pretty darned good if you give it half an effort. As I mentioned previously, that MD or DO degree opens up a wide range of possibilities - many far beyond patient care. I know people not one bit interested in patient care, getting an MD merely as a supplement to an MBA or law degree.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-11-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM
 
5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Reputation: 14170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Your numbers are either rumor or from 45 years ago.

When you consider a true "pre-Med" college student with some drive and above average smarts who began pursuing a medical career sometime in high school, the odds are definitely in your favor.

45 years ago the ratio of med school applicants to med school slots was 6:1. Today it's more like 1.3:1. Way more med school slots and way less applicants. Do the math.

Many med schools (especially the newer ones which there are dozens) as usual, have to fill those seats every year in order to maintain their federal government funding - allotted on a seat filled basis. So they must fill every class. That was not a problem 45 years ago because post war baby boom (huge applicant pool), plus very qualified applicants like engineering grads (whose engineering career was vanishing as they graduated and so they decided overnight to just be an orthopedic surgeon). Those engine students could blast anybody out of the water on the MCAT - just based on their advanced math and physics background. That was bad news for the sincere pre-med applicant, something I think still lingers in many people's minds (hence my use of the word "rumor.")

Today, those same "math minds" simply go get a biz degree. 10X easier, and if you know how to make "connections" you can do quite well. Banking is now in the top two industries in the US today - based on numbers of workers in that field. Meantime, medicine incomes for all but a few specialties has declined relative to all incomes as insurance companies and government price setting have gained increasing control on their incomes and, in fact, what they can do and get reimbursed in patient care. Consequently med schools today attract a far less competitive bunch, and with so many new med schools out there, your odds of getting admitted are pretty darned good if you give it half an effort. As I mentioned previously, that MD or DO degree opens up a wide range of possibilities - many far beyond patient care. I know people not one bit interested in patient care, getting an MD merely as a supplement to an MBA or law degree.
Since you posted nothing to support your ridiculous assertions that it is "easy" to get into medical school one can correctly assume you made up your "statistics"

"Way more med school slots and way less applicants"

WRONG

Med school applications continue to trend UP not down...

"Statistics from the Association of American Medical Colleges reveal that there were more than 10,000 more applicants seeking admission to a U.S. med school during the 2018-2019 school year than there had been 10 years prior, a roughly 25 percent increase over the 10-year period."


https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ctor-shortages


1.3 to 1 applicants to slots??? Again you just made that up off the top of your head didn't you?? It certainly has no basis in reality and is easily challenged so why bother?

According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, 53,042 prospective students applied to medical school in the 2016-2017 cycle, and a mere 21,030 students matriculated into U.S. programs. That is roughly 40 percent. The average MCAT score for applicants was 501.8, while the average score for matriculating students raised the bar even higher, to 508.7.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blo...-watch-in-2017

The newer schools of which "there are dozens"....

There are currently 141 medical schools in the US....in the last 13 years exactly 17 new schools have gained accreditation....hardly "DOZENS"

Since 2007, 17 medical schools in the U.S. have gained full accreditation, according to a U.S. News analysis. The majority of the 17 schools, which do not include new remote teaching sites or branch campuses, are dotted up and down the East Coast.
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...edical-schools

I could continue to "blast the rest of your unfounded contentions out of the water" but why bother???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2020, 06:22 PM
 
19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Reputation: 17252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Your numbers are either rumor or from 45 years ago.

When you consider a true "pre-Med" college student with some drive and above average smarts who began pursuing a medical career sometime in high school, the odds are definitely in your favor.

45 years ago the ratio of med school applicants to med school slots was 6:1. Today it's more like 1.3:1. Way more med school slots and way less applicants. Do the math.

Many med schools (especially the newer ones which there are dozens) as usual, have to fill those seats every year in order to maintain their federal government funding - allotted on a seat filled basis. So they must fill every class. That was not a problem 45 years ago because post war baby boom (huge applicant pool), plus very qualified applicants like engineering grads (whose engineering career was vanishing as they graduated and so they decided overnight to just be an orthopedic surgeon). Those engine students could blast anybody out of the water on the MCAT - just based on their advanced math and physics background. That was bad news for the sincere pre-med applicant, something I think still lingers in many people's minds (hence my use of the word "rumor.")

Today, those same "math minds" simply go get a biz degree. 10X easier, and if you know how to make "connections" you can do quite well. Banking is now in the top two industries in the US today - based on numbers of workers in that field. Meantime, medicine incomes for all but a few specialties has declined relative to all incomes as insurance companies and government price setting have gained increasing control on their incomes and, in fact, what they can do and get reimbursed in patient care. Consequently med schools today attract a far less competitive bunch, and with so many new med schools out there, your odds of getting admitted are pretty darned good if you give it half an effort. As I mentioned previously, that MD or DO degree opens up a wide range of possibilities - many far beyond patient care. I know people not one bit interested in patient care, getting an MD merely as a supplement to an MBA or law degree.

I'd suggest two aspirin and an ice bag to soothe the headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 PM
 
9 posts, read 4,122 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
What do you like to do? There is always time to change careers and reinvent yourself. Both my sons had previous careers before making major changes due to employment opportunities.
I’ve already made up my mind, but thanks for the interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top