Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 AM

430 posts, read 284,684 times

Advertisements

My closest friend has been a practicing MD for over 30 years. They have 7 children and never encouraged any of them to go into the medical field, and none did. He is a great highly esteemed doctor. He told me that if he could go back and make the choice again, it is likely he would not. On the other hand, he has done this for so long that he can't really think of what other path he would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 01:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
My closest friend has been a practicing MD for over 30 years. They have 7 children and never encouraged any of them to go into the medical field, and none did. He is a great highly esteemed doctor. He told me that if he could go back and make the choice again, it is likely he would not. On the other hand, he has done this for so long that he can't really think of what other path he would take.
A doctor I worked with said he could argue it both ways!

Old 01-13-2020, 09:08 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We have friends whose daughter faced this same dilemma. She did a gap year, studied for a higher MCAT score, worked/volunteered in a clinical setting for more experience, and other things. I think she endured two application cycles of disappointment. She then changed lanes and became a Physcians Assistant. As a PA she now performs surgery in a Bariatric Clinic.

Slightly different career lane but her dream has been achieved.

If his grades are excellent and MCAT scores are excellent, maybe he would benefit from Dale Carnegie or other training during the gap year to improve interview skills. A suggestion, not an insult. It made a world of difference for me 30 years ago.

I haven't had the chance to see him in an interview setting of course, but he is so personable and charismatic I cannot imagine him not doing well with interview skills. But this is still a good suggestion.

My daughter will be applying next year and though she appears to have no reason to worry, I can't help but wonder if a similar experience is ahead for her too.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
Perhaps it depends on how much of a personal life that someone is willing to sacrifice.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:45 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,038,956 times
People should not become doctors unless they want to. Nurture natural interests and talents to a lucrative and realistic endeavor.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,935,976 times
Too much stress and massive amounts of debt. My friend has to payback over a quarter million in student loan debt, which even for a chief surgeon like him, is still difficult. I can imagine it'll only continue to get worse with spiraling out of control health care costs, much more insurance burdens, a huge oncoming wave of baby boomers, and politics looking to always change something about the health care system.

I'd say tech/entrepreneur is the new rock star status symbol. Being a millionaire by your late 20s or 30s is even better.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM

19,870 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Too much stress and massive amounts of debt. My friend has to payback over a quarter million in student loan debt, which even for a chief surgeon like him, is still difficult. I can imagine it'll only continue to get worse with spiraling out of control health care costs, much more insurance burdens, a huge oncoming wave of baby boomers, and politics looking to always change something about the health care system.

I'd say tech/entrepreneur is the new rock star status symbol. Being a millionaire by your late 20s or 30s is even better.
Your chief surgeon buddy should be able to wipe out $250K in debt in a few years without much pain.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,270,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
My kids are in college and they and their friends are a very high achieving group. My son's best friend has wanted to be a doctor since forever and has all A's in pre-med at a respected university. He's sent his applications for med school and no one is calling. He is starting to panic. He couldn't do better in school than he has done, so it just goes to show how competitive it is. Do not push your kids this way unless they are genius kids who have a great back up plan when their brains don't get them far enough.
Your son's BF has all As as a pre-med student following a pre-med track and not one med school has called him in for an interview?

What did he get on his MCAT?

Which med schools did he apply to?

Old 01-15-2020, 09:20 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,946,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Your son's BF has all As as a pre-med student following a pre-med track and not one med school has called him in for an interview?

What did he get on his MCAT?

Which med schools did he apply to?

Sometimes top achieving students neglect to include Safety Selections. They target only the top 5% of Med Schools, or only the top 5% of Hospitals when submitting their Residency Preferences for matching. When you are being compared only to the crème de la crème, even excellent is sometimes not enough.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,946,500 times
And then there are the head scratchers. Your son's best friend's experience may be one of these.

• Our youngest achieved a 4.0 GPA during the four year pursuit of his Computer Science degree.
  • He worked five years as a Software Engineer for IBM
  • His job was off-shored to India in the midst of the Great Recession. He was given the choice to follow his job, or take a lay-off with Severance Package.
  • He elected the Severance Package which paid for two years of additional schooling. He chose Harvard's two year Pre-Med program via their on-campus Extension School.
  • While at Harvard he moon-lighted doing bio-infometric work for Harvard and MIT researchers.
  • During the summer break he worked in a Neurobiology Lab at Stanford University doing research.
  • After completing the Harvard Pre-Med program with a 4.0 GPA he accepted a job at Yale University in a Neurobiology Lab. There he maintained the Lab's computer systems in addition to performing research. He felt this experience would improve his resume for Med School applications. He spent three years at Yale.
  • Between the Harvard moon-lighting, the summer at Stanford, and the three years at Yale, he was a named contributor to 5 or 6 published research papers.
  • He took the MCAT exam during his third year at Yale and achieved a 99th percentile score.
  • He submitted applications to a number of Med Schools. This included most of the top 10 Med Schools as well as a variety of schools closer to his S-E Michigan roots.
  • He was interviewed by +/- half of the top 10 Schools, and all but one of the other Med Schools.
  • One of the more local Med Schools was a recently chartered Med School. They did not yet have their full Accreditation from the AMA. He would have been part of only their fourth admitted class.
  • He did not receive an interview from this school!

One of his "Safety Schools", which had a distinct geographic advantage over the highly ranked schools, passed on interviewing. Like I said, there are head-scratchers out there.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-15-2020 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education