Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,395,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You may be talking about this place: https://medicine.illinois.edu/

It's in Champaign, described on the website as a place with few distractions. My husband's advisor said the same thing, although a little more realistically-"Nothing to do here. Makes it easier to get your work done". (I lived in Champaign for 7 years. I'd agree.) Certainly there are no outdoor distractions, no special hiking, rafting, etc. If you're into biking you might get distracted. If you're into drinking you can get very distracted. Ditto pizza.

You do not have to have an engineering degree to get in. "Applicants must have graduated from an accredited college or university prior to matriculation. No single major is preferred." There are some courses you have to have taken.
https://medicine.illinois.edu/admiss...ore-you-apply/
Interesting.. . . From their site: THE FORWARD DESIGN OF HUMAN HEALTH BEGINS AT THE WORLD'S FIRST ENGINEERING-BASED COLLEGE OF MEDICINE.

An “engineering-based college of medicine.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 11:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Interesting.. . . From their site: THE FORWARD DESIGN OF HUMAN HEALTH BEGINS AT THE WORLD'S FIRST ENGINEERING-BASED COLLEGE OF MEDICINE.

An “engineering-based college of medicine.”
Well, UIUC has a big engineering school.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,447,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
We do need to guide the kids somewhat. Otherwise my kids would major in video games.

My concern is with basing the picking too much on a profession's traditional allure, rather than the outlook today, especially in these changing times. I've heard doctors complain that their business cannot survive in today's healthcare chaos.
This is funny. I was talking to my 15 year old nephew, and he was telling me that it used to be kids dreamed about being doctors and lawyers and now they want to be professional video game players. If you are good and get enough followers, you can make a lot of money...like millions. I find it sad in a way that games are more valuable than something that actually does some good in the world, but then again, is it really any different than professional sports where athletes get payed big bucks to play games. I think the one thing to keep in mind that is true for professional athletes, very few make it to the big leagues. I would think the same is true for video gamers.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:10 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,315,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
This is funny. I was talking to my 15 year old nephew, and he was telling me that it used to be kids dreamed about being doctors and lawyers and now they want to be professional video game players. If you are good and get enough followers, you can make a lot of money...like millions. I find it sad in a way that games are more valuable than something that actually does some good in the world, but then again, is it really any different than professional sports where athletes get payed big bucks to play games. I think the one thing to keep in mind that is true for professional athletes, very few make it to the big leagues. I would think the same is true for video gamers.
How kids are reasoning these days I am not sure. My bet is they simply loves to play.

For parents, I think the long term durability of a profession is definitely one big consideration among many other strong points. Certain professions are hot for 10, 20, or 30 years, then die out or move out. When I was a stock broker I charged 2% commission for every transaction, now trading is free! Medicine by contrast, has been around for thousands of years and has pretty much been a respected profession during that time.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:40 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,130,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My impression is yes, because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$.

And what is more important than$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
Where are you?

Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,271,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Thanks so much... very informative post.

I don’t really think my D will go the med school route. She just seems more excited about engineering combined with some other areas (e.g. Math, Chem, Physics). Lately, she has mentioned Business also (she loves her Econ course). We’ll see...

I mentioned the engineering to med school path because this is a specific path we’ve seen when touring schools, talking to grads, etc.

E.g. I think the University of Illinois College of Medicine was specifically designed for engineering students to go into medicine. I think an engineering degree may be required for admissions to this medical school - not sure.

Other schools we looked at had some combo engineering/science degrees they advertised as prep for med school (E.g. Northwestern had an integrated science degree). Other engineering schools advertised a “Med School Advising Office” (I think Wisconsin, Harvard, and Columbia - not sure) to help students navigate the path from engineering degree to med school.

I can’t remember all the details - we toured A LOT of schools - and I sometimes get them mixed up. I’d have to review all their websites. But I definitely got the impression there were enough students pursuing the engineering to med school path, so universities offered support in this area...
Engineering undergrad is great training for med school and a poor choice. Great training because it teaches you how to solve technical problems better than any other undergraduate program. It's a poor choice because it crushes your GPA relative to those who major in softer subjects, with the knowledge that the easier material and grade inflation in those subjects will make it easier to get admitted to med school, despite the fact that they are less prepared.

At least that was the case when I was in school. Maybe med schools have moved on from the practice of treating all majors roughly equally and putting the most weight on science GPA and cumulative GPA. (Cramming for the science prereqs is a lot easier if you have other easy classes, regardless of how much you may have learned in other, harder classes.)

Old 03-22-2020, 08:50 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,271,060 times
I don't think medicine is the most desired anymore.

The stories of doctor burnout are legendary.

If you're really smart, working for Google is a lot easier and more interesting than being a doctor and pays better, especially up front.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:24 PM

19,910 posts, read 18,203,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

If you're really smart, working for Google is a lot easier and more interesting than being a doctor and pays better, especially up front.
That's way too broad.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:30 PM

10,377 posts, read 8,022,892 times
Anyone who is thinking about becoming a doctor for the income and/or prestige needs to take a good, hard look at what's happening now in the hospital systems in our major cities. Are you SURE you still want this job?

Old 04-02-2020, 10:18 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Anyone who is thinking about becoming a doctor for the income and/or prestige needs to take a good, hard look at what's happening now in the hospital systems in our major cities. Are you SURE you still want this job?
Our daughter is doing a residency in a hospital that has an embargo on all information. It's more than unnerving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education