Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 11:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,834,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is quite sad, not only will it be difficult for the child but it makes your wife look like she's easily impressed with other people's occupations. Unless you can pay for med school the child will wind up owing 120K or more. There is really no way to groom a child to go into a particular field if they have no interest in it.
They will likely wind up owing much, much more than that, but most will not have too much trouble paying it back, along with getting approved for high-priced mortgages..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 11:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,070 times
It's interesting that we still equate the most pay with the most prestige. I have a classmate that has a PhD from Johns Hopkins in biomedical engineering. I am sure she does not make near what the typical doctor of medicine earns. But the projects she works on are things that affect the quality of life for people on a global scale. I would say that the researchers and scientists, despite the pay, are also critically important careers. These are the people that advance society. If I had a child, I would support his or her career choice no matter what, but I would give a gentle nudge to the sciences or engineering. These are the jobs with the potential to plant seeds that can affect generations.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 12-14-2019 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2019, 12:29 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,117,846 times
It's a very noble profession, you go into it wanting to help people, not for the money because there are way more professions that make more money. Being a doctor today has more challenges than in the past, mainly having to deal with the bureaucracy and the system itself, and that takes away from what led them to be doctors in the first place: helping people. Also, doctors usually cannot go into private practice on their own anymore, hang a shingle, etc. now they must join large practices because of insurance needs or a major hospital/organization.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,650,485 times
No not really. I think one of my nephews could be a great engineer, but his family guided him to become a doctor. Up to his elbows in debt.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:01 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,702,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
It's interesting that we still equate the most pay with the most prestige. I have a classmate that has a PhD from Johns Hopkins in biomedical engineering. I am sure she does not make near what the typical doctor of medicine earns. But the projects she works on are things that affect the quality of life for people on a global scale. I would say that the researchers and scientists, despite the pay, are also critically important careers. These are the people that advance society. If I had a child, I would support his or her career choice no matter what, but I would give a gentle nudge to the sciences or engineering. These are the jobs with the potential to plant seeds that can affect generations.
Lots of MDs are involved in research too. That said your post is right on the money.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:05 PM

19,471 posts, read 17,702,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No not really. I think one of my nephews could be a great engineer, but his family guided him to become a doctor. Up to his elbows in debt.
And the odds are he can pay the debt off in short order.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:12 PM

153 posts, read 136,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
And the odds are he can pay the debt off in short order.
This is true. Once they leave their internships, residencies and/or fellowships (if they sub-specialize) they usually make sufficient income to pay off any student loans and to do so in a timely manner.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:03 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,036,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I know she is wrong. And I know my kids are frustrated. But I cannot steer her out of that thinking. Don't want to start a family war.
A family war may save the family.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:10 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,036,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Typical conventional medical doctor schools are largely controlled and funded by drug companies. "Ask your doctor". Bazillion tv drug ads today. That's what the profession has become. Let your kid decide his/her future.
My friends in the 40s and 50s who are doctors talk a lot about how unsatisfying it has become. They are now tools of office managers who answer to insurance company dictates which finance the practices. They have to hustle to get their quota and can no longer really practice medicine. It is assembly line health care, which results is more people getting pushed through, stuff getting missed. The family docs I know are all counting down until they can get out. The one ER doc I know has other reasons - similar in that his actions are dictated by insurance companies and non-medical managers - for looking to get out when he can.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:24 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,266,077 times
I recall having heard that, radiology doctors are the best in that hours are regular and normal, the pay is high (USD300K salary?), and the malpractice risk is low. Is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education