Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My son is an neurosurgery resident. Parroting my son.......if your kiddo hasn't taken o-chem II he should before taking the MCAT.
Organic Chemistry II! Yikes, O-chem I was notorious enough. Thanks for the tip, I'll work it into the conversation over the Christmas break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 07:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
I would say, universally, for 'parents' it is probably the most prestigious jobs that parents dream of their kids being when they grow up. I would say it's especially true for foreign parents. Almost all my Indian friends and many Asian friends who have immigrant parents say that their parents wanted them to become doctors when they grow up.

It is likely changing, as medicine is no longer the glamour job it once was, even 20 years ago. My parents were elated when I got into medical school and became a doctor, although I did not love practicing medicine. I pretty quickly got a MHA, and have now transitioned into healthcare administration, although I do practice a very limited amount. My parents scratch their heads at what I do now (although I am in a administrative medical position), but they are glad I'm happy.

Bottom line is, the lust of medicine is fading. It can be a great career but only if you want to do it for the right reasons, and not for prestige.

I think more parents understand that now, but it is still probably the most prestigious job parents dream of for their children. Not because of the good salary (which is also somewhat over-inflated when you consider the enormous cost of medical school and the many years of training), but more so, the intellectual accomplishment associated with becoming a doctor.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Default The low cost way to complete a Harvard Pre-Med

Our son did not receive a diploma from Harvard as only Certificates of Completion are issued, and he did not receive a Certificate either as he used an 'extra' course from his Under-Grad years to fulfill one of the Harvard Extension School Requirements. A cost savings measure that maybe he shouldn't have done in hind-sight. This program is Post Baccalaureate, meaning accepted student must already have earned a Bachelors degree. But this program can be a huge cost savings for some students. Sharing for this reason only. Columbia has a similar program, and there are likely many, many, more offered.

Cost. Our 2019–20 undergraduate tuition is $1,840 a course. Given that most students in our program complete 20 to 32 credits, the total tuition cost is between $9,200 and $14,720.
extension.www.harvard.edu › premedical-program

extension.www.harvard.edu › premedical-program

Premedical Program | Harvard Extension School

Old 12-13-2019, 08:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Your wife demands it...Wow is all I can say.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
OP, your wife is simply wrong. Period. Your wife has no idea what kind of emotional stress this puts kids under. It makes kids bitter and resentful. If he doesn't want to be a doctor he probably won't be a good one, and he is not going to thank her for it later because "she knows what's best for him." Raise a good teach, teach him to make good decisions, share your personal experiences and knowledge, and let him know the value of an education. He will take it from there.

Let me give you a personal story. One night I was dispatched to the residence hall of a well known university that had a well known business program. A student had poured rubbing alcohol on himself and set it on fire. His dad graduated from that business school, his grandfather graduated from that business school and, by God, junior was going to get a business degree from that school. The minor hiccup in that plan was that junior already knew what he wanted to do and what he wanted to major in in college, and it was not what his parents decided for him.

How old is you son? Has anyone -- especially your wife -- asked him what he wants to do for a living?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:14 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Your wife demands it...Wow is all I can say.
In my household she calls the shots... But that's another thread in another forum.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
OP, your wife is simply wrong. Period. Your wife has no idea what kind of emotional stress this puts kids under. It makes kids bitter and resentful. If he doesn't want to be a doctor he probably won't be a good one, and he is not going to thank her for it later because "she knows what's best for him." Raise a good teach, teach him to make good decisions, share your personal experiences and knowledge, and let him know the value of an education. He will take it from there.

Let me give you a personal story. One night I was dispatched to the residence hall of a well known university that had a well known business program. A student had poured rubbing alcohol on himself and set it on fire. His dad graduated from that business school, his grandfather graduated from that business school and, by God, junior was going to get a business degree from that school. The minor hiccup in that plan was that junior already knew what he wanted to do and what he wanted to major in in college, and it was not what his parents decided for him.

How old is you son? Has anyone -- especially your wife -- asked him what he wants to do for a living?
I know she is wrong. And I know my kids are frustrated. But I cannot steer her out of that thinking. Don't want to start a family war.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:22 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I know she is wrong. And I know my kids are frustrated. But I cannot steer her out of that thinking. Don't want to start a family war.
You may have to, in order to protect the kids from the pressure your wife is putting them under. Make no mistake, that type of psychological pressure is damaging.

Frankly, if she's so gung-ho to have a doctor in the family, why isn't SHE applying to medical school?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My wife demands that one of our kids become a doctor, regardless of their interest. Or I should say she attempts to nurture their interest in this field.

I think this is primarily due to the conventional thinking that doctors are one of the best professions.

Is that conventional thinking still true on the eve of 2020?

Well, as health care insider, I'd not like to be a doctor.
For starters, it depends. There are doctors and doctors. Some make little and work like mules, some work little and make a lot, but it took them a while to get there.
One has to have a special mindset and god given patience ot be one.

Pediatricians? I'd not take that even for 10 figure salary.
They all have very long and challenginf education. They all have to ***** for 2 years as interns.

They all have TON of liability.
They sure can have lucrative work - and no life almost guaranteed.

Base line - you got to be cut for it. It should suite you, or bust.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:29 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I think medicine is still a respected profession. However there are so many more highly educated people now and so many more professions that require higher education, that I don't think doctors hold the solitary high status that they may have in previous generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education