Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
$160k is a bit high., so I'm not sure where he's getting that number. At $160k parental income, the family would be expected to contribute about $15,000/year to attend these schools (including all tuition, fees, room & boarding). The 17 schools are the ones at the top list. This is well documented on their financial aid pages... just run the numbers yourself. Did you even check out the schools own websites before asking for documentation?

$100k seems to be the cutoff for most of these schools.
Did I "even" do that? No! Why would I? It's oldgorilla's link, not mine. I'm not touting it, and I don't have hours to do this. Nor do I have anyone going to college in the next 18 years. My granddaughter is 4 months old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 03:04 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Community College is pretty much free straight out of High School here in California, yet parents are still sending their kids to these big universities racking up debt, why?
My Daughter will Graduate from SDSU in 2 years, and know one will never know she went to Community College for 2 years.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:41 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Community College is pretty much free straight out of High School here in California, yet parents are still sending their kids to these big universities racking up debt, why?
My Daughter will Graduate from SDSU in 2 years, and know one will never know she went to Community College for 2 years.
That's utterly not how it works. Anyone used to looking these things/checking records will know in 2 minutes.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I am proud of the fact that I have a four year degree and that is something no one can ever take from me.

I can't put a price on it.

Fortunately, college was affordable when I went.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I am proud of the fact that I have a four year degree and that is something no one can ever take from me.

Fortunately, college was affordable when I went.
It's still affordable. There are free tuition USA colleges, as well as free international colleges that accept USA students.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:01 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

I'd feel the same way, if not more about my Bachelor's degree if it were in a field more useful such as Engineering or Chemistry.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Only if she is not planning on transferring to a 4 year to get her BA/BS, will no one know.

If she is (planning on transferring to a 4 year) she's going to transfer all of the credits she can & see what sticks or what she will have to re-take. Unless, of course, she's in a feeder CC to a specific 4 year.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Only if she is not planning on transferring to a 4 year to get her BA/BS, will no one know.

If she is (planning on transferring to a 4 year) she's going to transfer all of the credits she can & see what sticks or what she will have to re-take. Unless, of course, she's in a feeder CC to a specific 4 year.
I don't know how it works in CA, but in CO, there is a list of courses from the CCs that the state colleges/unis have to accept. However, they don't have to accept them to fulfill requirements for majors, etc. A lot of them end up as "electives", and students often end up needing an extra semester or two to get their degrees, which sort of negates some of the savings of the CC.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't know how it works in CA, but in CO, there is a list of courses from the CCs that the state colleges/unis have to accept. However, they don't have to accept them to fulfill requirements for majors, etc. A lot of them end up as "electives", and students often end up needing an extra semester or two to get their degrees, which sort of negates some of the savings of the CC.
Yep.

That's the problem.

People don't do their homework - they go to a CC and expect all credits to transfer to a 4 year college. In state or otherwise.

Quote:
“The greater the (credit) loss, the lower the chances of completing a BA...”
Quote:
Specifically, the researchers found that only 58 percent of community college transfers are able to bring all or almost all (90 percent or more) of their credits with them. About 14 percent of transfers lose more than 90 percent of their credits. The researchers calculated that the transfer students’ graduation rate would jump to 54 percent from 46 percent – if not for the loss of academic credits.

“This percentage is potentially underestimated,” said Attewell in a press release. “The obstacle of losing credits is bigger than we could measure.”
You can’t take it with you; more than 40 percent of community college transfer students unable to transfer their credits to a four-year school | Education By The Numbers

Old 12-23-2019, 11:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If a 4yr degree is your goal, you don't enroll in any classes (at U or CC). Without a transfer contract / written acceptance from graduating / accepting U. Why would you not do that? SOP for millions of students / U's / CCs for previous 5+ decades.

No sense burning time and money on unacceptable credits. And no need to do that.

Plan, execute, graduate, get a J-o-b, pay off your parents for raising you to completion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education