Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 07:26 AM

186 posts, read 173,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The SAT is a general test of intelligence. As such it can’t be easily gamed or improved unless the person taking the test has some dramatic change in their abilities. How often does that happen?
That is not the case. We told our kid to not spend too much time on questions that she had no idea how to answer and pick the letter of the day. Don’t leave anything blank and pick the letter of the day if you run out of time. If we had not given her those tips i don’t know if she would have broken 1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 07:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And you see what happens in this thread when a kid takes the SAT when he's not prepared due to age.
If by that you mean/are implying the kid in question didn't do well by making a 1,000 you simply don't know what you are talking about.

It's called, "Out of Level Testing" and it's been a thing for many years. Look into Duke Talent Identification Program, Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, Northwestern's Center for Talent Development etc.

Broadly, these programs ID bright kids, test them with SAT, ACT and sometimes IQ tests around 6th or 7th and track improvement over time. Some offer summer programs and the like.

There's a loose standard for 7th........anything over 950 is unusual and shows promise. Keep in mind the 11th grade national avg. is just over 1050.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Bit late at 7th grade, but for the next early planner.... You could just move to Singapore and have your kids go to public schools. Our USA friends who did that kid's aced the SAT and ACT, got great placement, and now have $$$,000 international jobs. No expense to parents, except leaving the USA during educational formative years.

You could also chose to privately tutor the next few yrs. But as mentioned.... Testing is one very small tool in your kid's bag. Extensive foreign language, music, math and cross cultural relationships come standard in many excellent foreign countries that excel in strong academic basic education for k-12 equivalent. Good opportunity and training to also attend free & excellent foreign U's as well.

The USA does not have the corner on higher or lower EDU.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:35 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If by that you mean/are implying the kid in question didn't do well by making a 1,000 you simply don't know what you are talking about.

It's called, "Out of Level Testing" and it's been a thing for many years. Look into Duke Talent Identification Program, Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, Northwestern's Center for Talent Development etc.

Broadly, these programs ID bright kids, test them with SAT, ACT and sometimes IQ tests around 6th or 7th and track improvement over time. Some offer summer programs and the like.

There's a loose standard for 7th........anything over 950 is unusual and shows promise. Keep in mind the 11th grade national avg. is just over 1050.
I didn't. I was alluding to the parent seeming to be in near panic mode because her 12 year old did "badly" on the SAT.

You didn't read another ****ing word I wrote in that response did you?

Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
7th grader recently took SAT test scored 520 in English and only 480 in Math. This student hope to take SAT again at 11th grade hoping that he could achieve 1550 or above. Is that possible or reasonable consider that he has years to prepare?
You can take the SAT anytime you want to. All that means is that colleges might lure you with scholarships that are SAT dependent and does not block you from attended specific colleges

Old 12-28-2019, 09:21 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Learning how to decode the questions and answers is the most common way to "game" the test. On the SAT there are two totally wrong answers for each question, one that is sort of correct and one that is correct. Teach the student to recognize the two incorrect answers and you better his odds. We also stressed vocabulary development in our SAT Prep classes. The average high school student has a lower knowledge of vocabulary today than thirty years ago. Break that into student cohorts and it becomes even more evident and worse with some cohorts operating in 11th Grade with a 2nd or 3rd Grade Grade vocabulary. That's the Honors students. Regular ed is much worse.

I don't like this trend of having middle school students take the SAT. For the most part they don't have the academic background for it in either Math or language, primarily vocabulary.

And you see what happens in this thread when a kid takes the SAT when he's not prepared due to age.
Schools around here do the ACT instead of SAT but what you said is such an important part of these standardized tests. The kids take so many standardized tests that our local schools put a significant effort into test taking techniques throughout the year starting in elementary school. As NBP said, there are two wrong answers, one "distractor" which looks right, could be right, but is not the desired answer, and then the "correct" desired answer. I spent a couple years working on a training program with a professional test designer who would tell us the purpose of the distractor was to look so right that most students would pick the distractor instead of the desired answer. So yes, NBP is correct that learning to decode the questions and answers the way the test designers think can boost the score.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
I didn't. I was alluding to the parent seeming to be in near panic mode because her 12 year old did "badly" on the SAT.

You didn't read another ****ing word I wrote in that response did you?
I read it all.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:36 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The SAT is a general test of intelligence. As such it can’t be easily gamed or improved unless the person taking the test has some dramatic change in their abilities. How often does that happen?
The only way it can be improved, aside from strategies mentioned earlier (buying vocabulary-building books, if the school doesn't offer that, for example), is to learn standardized test-taking strategy, so the student knows how to maximize the time allotted for taking the test.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:18 PM
ptt ptt started this thread

497 posts, read 637,279 times
Thank you so much for all your value advice and suggestions! What we wanted to do is for him to take time to prepare now that he knows how hard the tests are and what he has to do to tackle those questions. I wanted to guide him to the right direction since I am not from here SAT or ACT tests are real foreign to me.

My son planning to take PSAT at 10th and SAT again in December of 11th grade. He would like to have a target score by then because the exchange student program he looks Into if selected will be leaving the US in February.

I would talk to him again maybe at 10th grade if he thinks the prep boot camp course or a tutor would benefits him but for now he can just pay attention in class and practice mathematics problem.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:02 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
Thank you so much for all your value advice and suggestions! What we wanted to do is for him to take time to prepare now that he knows how hard the tests are and what he has to do to tackle those questions. I wanted to guide him to the right direction since I am not from here SAT or ACT tests are real foreign to me.

My son planning to take PSAT at 10th and SAT again in December of 11th grade. He would like to have a target score by then because the exchange student program he looks Into if selected will be leaving the US in February.

I would talk to him again maybe at 10th grade if he thinks the prep boot camp course or a tutor would benefits him but for now he can just pay attention in class and practice mathematics problem.
Please do not neglect reading and vocabulary development in this if you choose to have him do extra work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education