Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

any and all attempts at punishment are now considered abuse. punishment is no longer considered acceptable to the american people. so whats next? (read any corporate or military operations and policy manual, reward and punishment "disciple" are at the heart of everyone of them, what are you trying to say america "not my baby?")

Old 04-27-2008, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
If a parent or school administrator cannot find a better way to discipline than physical violence, then they need to re-think their own methodology. Small children may need a light "swat" to get their attention, but that should be rare. By the time someone is a sophomore in high school, corporal punishment is totally inappropriate.

My opinion and others may disagree. But I have raised my kids and also taught in school . . . and there are better ways to get a child's attention than resorting to hitting them.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
My wife is a high school teacher in a gritty inner city school system. She used to teach in a program where most of her students were court mandated, gang involved, etc.

When there are discipline problems, she says what usually works best is to speak to the student, tell them what the offending behavior was and how they should behave in the future.

I used to live in Texas where paddling is legal. I can't help noticing that the Texas schools, and other southern schools where paddling is legal, usually are the worst schools in the nation by all objective standards of measuring academic achievement.

I would be okay with a principal paddling a kid - provided the principal spends 30 seconds alone in a locked room with me first, no witnesses.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Thumbs down I'm fine with CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I used to live in Texas where paddling is legal. I can't help noticing that the Texas schools, and other southern schools where paddling is legal, usually are the worst schools in the nation by all objective standards of measuring academic achievement.
That has absolutely nothing to do with corporal punishment.

Quote:
I would be okay with a principal paddling a kid - provided the principal spends 30 seconds alone in a locked room with me first, no witnesses.
There are so many internet tough guys and gals on this thread. I should send out warnings to principals about how badass you guys are.

Seriously, going to the ER for a paddling. That little delinquent was probably just putting it on.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I don't believe that schools should be permitted to mete out any sort of corporal punishment. Do we have paddles in corporate America - which is where most of the studious ones are "hoping" to end up after they finish their college training? When you miss a deadline, does your boss bend you over the desk and whack you with a paddle? Imagery sometimes makes the point - violent behavior is not only inhumane, it is also ineffective in the results one would assume is being sought from the subject.

Education in this nation is beyond broken.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Oh please! I got paddled a couple of times when I was in school and it made me a better person. Clapping your hands and saying "time out" is laughable to some kids, unless they're very timid. I also suspect there is more to this story than what is being told. Maybe the girl had a smart mouth when the teacher told her to put the phone away, who knows.
When I was in elementary school all the kids used to talk about the "electric paddle", and they made sure to avoid getting in trouble or else they'd get it! It wasn't until middle school when we found out that there was no such thing, but that little rumor made many kids behave.
Oh please!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
any and all attempts at punishment are now considered abuse. punishment is no longer considered acceptable to the american people. so whats next? (read any corporate or military operations and policy manual, reward and punishment "disciple" are at the heart of everyone of them, what are you trying to say america "not my baby?")
Well my grandaddy back in Arkansas always says "son, trying to whip a boy into shape with a paddle is like playing ping pong without a table"....LOL sorry i couldn't help myself i always see you posting random things like that on different threads, so i thought i'd try it out

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM

23 posts, read 34,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Good point. I am a teacher and wouldn't want to use corporal punishment in my classroom. However, I am not against it if a kid who is extremely defiant is sent to the office and it happens there. I knew a teacher who had a student who got paddled in the office and it helped him a lot. Before he was paddled he was extremely defiant toward her and then he got paddled and it was as if he was a new child. I also think the punishment should fit the child. Like, I have some kids who view missing recess and timeouts as punishment, others laugh at the idea. I even have some kids who view receiving a verbal warning as punishment.

I also think that if parents would get off their butt and do something about their child's behavior, then we wouldn't be having this discussion about corporal punishment because it wouldn't be needed. I have some kids who laugh at the idea of me calling their parents because the child is the running the show at home.

I do think that corporal punishment wouldn't be the right punishment for a 15 year old having a cell phone because most schools do allow them. However, I think if she had refused to end her conversation in the classroom, that a more appropriate punishment would have been for her to hand over her cell phone.
yeah, but then the teacher would get in trouble for "stealing her phone" I've seen that issue in Yahoo Anwers. The point is teachers cannot control the kids because the kids are never expected to control themselves and there are few consequences, and them blowing it up and taking it to the news like she had to see a doctor over it kind of makes me laugh. Serious? A principal wouldn't think twice before hitting a kid that hard if at all?
Mommy's Princess was shamed and Mommy is pushing buttons because she can. And Princess will only learn that there is another way to manipulate the system if you don't like something. Meanwhile, she'll continue to disrupt classes with her cell phone and even text message cheat on tests and teachers can't do anything about it.
Common Sense! Cell phones are not needed in the classroom and do not belong there. If a parent is concerned about a child, then teach them to turn off hte phone while at a safe place like school. It saves the battery anyway for hwen the kid is walking home maybe after dark which is when you want the phone working!
Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Since this old post came up, I'll give an update.

American school paddling news, Sep 2008 - CORPUN ARCHIVE uss00809 (last two sections of the page)

The paddling was chosen rather than an in-school suspension. The girl admitted later that she had a medical condition that caused raised red marks from friction or pressure - it doesn't say why she or her mother didn't bring that up before the paddling.

No charges were filed, but the school district did end corporal punishment.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
A 15 year old girl goes to the ER for treatment after being paddled for having her cell phone at school. Her mother witnessed the corporal punishment, and she describes the principal as taking a golfer's swing, and hitting her daughter with such force, and that before she could utter a word, he hit the child again.

What would you do if this happened to your child? In most states, you would have absolutely no recourse. Educators are held to different standards for abuse than parents. It will be interesting to see how this investigation shakes out. Despite the injuries, this school district denies the need to change its policy.

State, sheriff's department probe school paddling that left welts | KY3 | Local
I wouldn't tolerate it. No man hits a woman or young lady. I don't care who the heck he thinks he is a dad should never tolerate anyone striking his daughter and with that I would go for his throat. He'd better kill me with that golfers swing less I put that paddle of his where the sun don't shine.

I never once hit any of my children and I would go to he11 before I allowed another man to hit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education