Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Back in the 70's when I was in HS there were electives that only seniors could take. It seemed to be the right age for it..last year in HS before you set out in life. One was Home Ec (cooking, sewing, home budgeting) and the other was Business Math (bank accounts, balancing checkbook, calculating net worth, interest rate stuff).

I think MS is a bit early to be teaching this stuff. A 12 year old won't care about it and won't retain it where as a 17-18 year old senior in HS might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 08:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
What abdicate parental responsibility to the school system? Most of the things being mentioned should be taught IN THE HOME.

As a parent, I would be appalled if my child couldn't address an envelope, handle basic money management or feed themselves.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What abdicate parental responsibility to the school system? Most of the things being mentioned should be taught IN THE HOME.

As a parent, I would be appalled if my child couldn't address an envelope, handle basic money management or feed themselves.
most parents are either single and working two jobs or both parents are working long hours and have no time to teach that . I know as you I would be mortified as well if I sent my kids out into the world without knowing how to do laundry ,cooking , cleaning and how to take care of money .my son used to ask me why I corrected his manner of speech and I told him because I don't want people thinking you are ignorant or that you were raised by a moron . LOL .

Old 01-26-2020, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Back in the 70's when I was in HS there were electives that only seniors could take. It seemed to be the right age for it..last year in HS before you set out in life. One was Home Ec (cooking, sewing, home budgeting) and the other was Business Math (bank accounts, balancing checkbook, calculating net worth, interest rate stuff).

I think MS is a bit early to be teaching this stuff. A 12 year old won't care about it and won't retain it where as a 17-18 year old senior in HS might.
In the 1990s, my kids learned about checking accounts in 6th/7th grade. I can't remember which exactly. They even got these fake checkbooks. They loved it. By HS many kids are working and need a checking account for their paychecks.

For the rest, I agree with you, no need in MS.

My older daughter was in Girl Scouts in HS and they did a "Personal Finance" badge, but I have to say I disagreed with some of the stuff they were taught. I preferred my kids use the money they earned for the incessant lunches, movies, shopping trips to the mall (and the gas to get to these activities) rather than investing such tiny sums in some type of account they couldn't get at and me having to fork over for the above. Which does bring up the issue of just whose values are you going to teach?

Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In the 1990s, my kids learned about checking accounts in 6th/7th grade. I can't remember which exactly. They even got these fake checkbooks. They loved it. By HS many kids are working and need a checking account for their paychecks.

For the rest, I agree with you, no need in MS.

My older daughter was in Girl Scouts in HS and they did a "Personal Finance" badge, but I have to say I disagreed with some of the stuff they were taught. I preferred my kids use the money they earned for the incessant lunches, movies, shopping trips to the mall (and the gas to get to these activities) rather than investing such tiny sums in some type of account they couldn't get at and me having to fork over for the above. Which does bring up the issue of just whose values are you going to teach?
To be honest there is very little need to write a check anymore.
I only write 1 check a month myself. I use my CC for everything and then pay it off every month.
That's how I track my budget.

My son (29) doesn't write checks for anything. PayPal is the way to send someone money these days.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
To be honest there is very little need to write a check anymore.
I only write 1 check a month myself. I use my CC for everything and then pay it off every month.
That's how I track my budget.

My son (29) doesn't write checks for anything. PayPal is the way to send someone money these days.
I agree, but you need the account to put your money in it. I write a check to my hairdresser because it costs her 15% if I use my CC. I sometimes pay doctor bills with a check. The ones we see a lot I pay through electronic banking.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:03 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
We recently had a most precious 17 year old college student spend a couple of days with us. SO has a way with people and they open up to him. She had an aha moment when he explained to her about taxes W2 and 1099 and that making a dollar as a business owner does not mean you earned a dollar. Entrepreneurship may be a degree but it may not feed her. Cost of living and housing was a shock. Mother orders groceries so they are something you open a box for. She apparently can cook and bake. A college credit course for social skills? Which knife/fork to use and how to send a thank you note. Yes!

My PhD, mid 40s SIL, senior educator at a Ivy feeder prep school has never balanced a check book. MIL handles that and the bills.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We recently had a most precious 17 year old college student spend a couple of days with us. SO has a way with people and they open up to him. She had an aha moment when he explained to her about taxes W2 and 1099 and that making a dollar as a business owner does not mean you earned a dollar. Entrepreneurship may be a degree but it may not feed her. Cost of living and housing was a shock. Mother orders groceries so they are something you open a box for. She apparently can cook and bake. A college credit course for social skills? Which knife/fork to use and how to send a thank you note. Yes!

My PhD, mid 40s SIL, senior educator at a Ivy feeder prep school has never balanced a check book. MIL handles that and the bills.
No. Not a college credit course for "social skills". It's bad enough that people want to give kids high school credit for being taught this stuff.

My PhD 70+ yo husband has a lot more common sense and practical skills than most people. Why do people like to make fun of PhDs?

Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
"This should come from the parents" is the dumbest retort to this imaginable.

Parents are idiots who didn't learn anything from school or parents either.
I don't get this whole sacred information only a parent can relay to their kids. It's just flat out dumb and ignorant.

I don't care who gives my kids solid information. I care that my kids get solid information.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:58 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No. Not a college credit course for "social skills". It's bad enough that people want to give kids high school credit for being taught this stuff.
A "social skills" class isn't bad if done right. I myself took a "group theory" college class, which was basically sociology in the business world. I learned about how groups operate in the workplace. Good stuff.

One factoid I learned: the largest informal group people can sustain is 7. Any larger, and the group will splinter into smaller factions, even if still falling under the original "umbrella". I later observed this in real life, so the textbook author knew what he was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education