Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 07:26 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most of the things listed would only have to be taught once or twice.

They take math. Balancing a checkbook is addition and subtraction.
Laundry. Put the clothes in. Add detergent. Push button. Then put in dryer.
Put a steak on the grill. Wait awhile and then turn it over. Put a potato in the microwave. Push potato button.
Swimming should be in 3rd or 4th grade. Maybe 5 classes.
Put the thread though the needle, pick up button,...…….
Pick up hammer and nail ……………..
A personal finance course could be useful.
If it only has to be taught once or twice, maybe a YouTube video might be a better alternative. I'm not sure what kind of cooking instruction in a home ec or Family & Consumer Science class would have been beneficial to me. It seems like there is more opportunity for practice and experimentation at home.

As far as "Pick up hammer and nail ……………..," I had three years of wood shop in junior high. We had it for a double period once a week, which was about 95 minutes. I can't really think of anything I learned.

"Swimming should be in 3rd or 4th grade. Maybe 5 classes." Have you ever taught anyone to swim? It takes longer than that. Also, virtually no elementary school has access to a pool without travel. Second, swimming is best taught in small groups with some individual instruction. You can't do it with one teacher and 40 students in a pool in a 40 minute class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
How to buy a car should be taught in high school along with driver ed.

Too many people go through life getting screwed because they are naïve about titles and dealers and such.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:42 PM

43,053 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Did the parents disappear here ?

Old 01-26-2020, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
I agree with gunluvver2 many have not learned debt free living and cooking
I think the worst vacuum is how to earn a living
College is no longer the entry gate to Disneyland

Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,250,778 times
Not so much life lessons but skills that help you be successful in different situations, like the 10 social skills everyone should know taught in the Boy's Town Model:
1. Introducing yourself
2. Following instructions
3. Asking for help
4. Staying on task
5. Accepting no for an answer
6. Disagreeing appropriately
7. Showing appreciation
8. Making an apology
9. Accepting consequences or criticism
10. Controlling emotions

Of course parents should be teaching these, too.

10 social skills everyone should know

Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,053 times
It’s not your enemies that will get you into trouble. It is your friends. Pick wisely...

Never flush a strange toilet while you’re still sitting on it.

You can’t borrow wealth. Learn finance in college. Don’t have to major in it, but at least get to a 301 level. It’ll explain a lot about adulting later on when you’ll need it.

Looks fade. Gravity sucks. It takes a broken heart to know how to have one for someone else.

Luck be a hidden opportunity. Learn how to spot those moments when you might be getting lucky but don’t realize it yet...(lots of trial and error on that one).

True power is never seen. It is felt. Know that, and you’ll learn how to spot the liars and cheats pretty quickly.

And most of all - think. Think. Think. Think.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:12 PM

5,454 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I and most of our peers taught our kids to mentor others and to run their own business by age 12. Mine had to design and build their own homes in grades 9-10. From scratch. They did great on inspections. Very diligent at electrical and plumbing. They knew how to weld, rebuild engines, repair body work, cook, shop, build furniture long before they left for college at age 16. Both DS and myself were trained as vocational teachers. Many families had helped each other build homes.

You and your 'peers' are the outliers of all outliers regarding parenthood.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You and your 'peers' are the outliers of all outliers regarding parenthood.
Only on C-D, not in the neighborhood...

Most of us would rather quit our jobs and stay home with the kids during their very few impressionable years. It goes very fast. I chose to work night shift so I could be home with them during their waking hours.

We had over 300 kids in the homeschool co-op in a small town. (many parents were / are school teachers by day)

One of the homeschool businesses now is a $10m business and employs ~80 - 100 locals. Many are viable businesses that get transferred to siblings or neighborhood kids when the older ones leave the community for college.

It's a very easy decision to choose train your kids and beneficial to your family and community.

Retire early, retire often.... go back to work after the kids leave home.

Work / career / monetary wealth can wait.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:38 AM

5,454 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Only on C-D, not in the neighborhood...

Most of us would rather quit our jobs and stay home with the kids during their very few impressionable years. It goes very fast. I chose to work night shift so I could be home with them during their waking hours.

We had over 300 kids in the homeschool co-op in a small town. (many parents were / are school teachers by day)

One of the homeschool businesses now is a $10m business and employs ~80 - 100 locals. Many are viable businesses that get transferred to siblings or neighborhood kids when the older ones leave the community for college.

It's a very easy decision to choose train your kids and beneficial to your family and community.

Retire early, retire often.... go back to work after the kids leave home.

Work / career / monetary wealth can wait.
I'm educated enough to know that the way you described your approach, it's an *easy* outlier given the 'statistical baseline' of the 'general population' of the country. City-Data has nothing to do with it. I like this site because there are people here such as yourself who are different in a good way and provide unique perspectives.

I assume of the various locations you list as your location, this occurred somewhere in the environs of the first of the four that you list? Makes the most intuitive sense to me.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:31 AM

17,254 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I think classes in simple money management, especially in the how to cook and budget for a healthy life. Balancing a checkbook, budget and how to properly use credit.
This.............but remember kids at that age think they are invincible and will become youtuber millionaires!

Be careful on the checkbook reference, some kids have no idea what that is because of all the credit/debit cards/electronic fund transfers.

I think they should do a comparison between career paths.

1. Dr/Lawyer/Nurse- costs X to get the degrees, then long career 40+ years averaging X

2. Pro ball player- limited chances, decent money for a few years, then most of them are broke shortly into retirement

3. Cop/Fireman/City worker - hard work, good money, long career with a pension

4. Walmart worker- easier, low money, no real long term benefits/dead end job

Kids don't understand that option 3 will likely yield the highest long term career with the lower cost of entry and is likely more achievable for most kids. Not exciting, not glamorous but it is solid money.

These are just random examples, they can be fine tuned for the particular area. Midwest might include farming, Rust belt might include factory jobs, etc.

AND THE GOLDEN RULE: IT'S NOT HOW MUCH YOU MAKE BUT RATHER HOW MUCH YOU SAVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education