Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 03:09 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh - weather prognostication ones!! My grandmother used to say “when the trees are showing silver it’s going to rain.”
When it thundered, my grandmother used to say it was the angels bowling in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 06:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Pulling out all the stops refers to ye olde pipe organs. There were stops to limit the volume.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:35 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
When it thundered, my grandmother used to say it was the angels bowling in heaven.
This one is an old one in my neighborhood and takes some explaining. Odin was one of the old Norse gods. There were people whose last name was Odin who settled there at the turn of the last century.

In those days they traveled by horse drawn wagon and apparently some road actually went through a dried up river bed. I suppose it was extra rocky and noisy to traverse.

When it would thunder my dad would say, "Sounds like Pete Odin going over the riverbed."

Pete was long dead before I was born but his name lives on every time it thunders!

Old 02-01-2020, 08:06 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I grew up Pennsylvania Dutch, and there are a ton of Pennsylvania Dutch phrases I find myself using that leave others scratching their heads. One is, knoatch. Meaning handle something. It cracks everyone up when I use it. I remember my great aunt (when I was playing with the chicks in her coop), saying, "Don't "knoatch" the peeps". Picking up a pet and hugging them (against their will) was "knoatching" them. Also, picking up a loaf of bread and squeezing it to see if it was fresh was "knoatching" it.

Another one is "rutch" (squiggle). I'll tell my grandson, don't "rutch" around. "Doppich" is clumsy. "Struvvely" is messy. These words always work their way into my vocabulary, and people look at me puzzled until I explain what I'm saying.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:25 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
May you be a long time in Heaven before the Devil knows you're gone.

Whenever one of us kids had a birthday, right after we blew out the candles the old lady would swat us in the arse for each year that we reached, and then an extra one saying " and one to grow on."
Another reason to want to stay young.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
From my husband who was a Kansas farm boy-

I'll holler at you later

I'll show him how the cow ate the cabbage

Like a runaway freight train

From one of my former bosses from Wisconsin-

I blow you no horn me

Come here once

Old 02-10-2020, 08:59 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
From Dr. Sam's site........"One thing is to have sight, another thing is to have vision". He doesn't really explain it BUT IMO he means "seeing the big picture" or not just looking at the obvious.......

I don't know how old the saying is.......

Old 04-09-2020, 11:21 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Never let your left hand know what you're right hand is doing
Translation: Don't let everyone know your business. Keep some things to yourself
Boo Boo The Fool-Don't know if this term is an old saying or just became popular, but Boo Boo The Fool is a term popularized by the black community to mean insulting someone's intelligence or trying to get over on someone

Old 04-29-2020, 03:27 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Here's one we knew growing up (regarding table manners)..."Where's your Emily Post?" I think we got it from The Three Stooges (Moe used it to reprimand Curly), but Emily Post wrote a popular book on manners in the 1930's.. Spending the past 6 weeks in lockdown and umpteen meals with my young grandsons, I tried to correct their table manners (chewing with their mouths open, using their shirt instead of a napkin, eating with their fingers, etc.) It turned into a catch phrase with those two, but it's funny when we're at the table and the 3-year-old says, "Where's your Elly Post?" to his older brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education