Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 06:00 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
An autism spectrum disorder is really hard to diagnose. It’s usually done by ruling other things out while looking at developmental progress and behaviors. The problem is that classification is what drives an IEP, and autism is one of the categories. If you get classified as such it’s a double-edged sword. You get services but also likely placement with other autistic kids.

My youngest has sensory issues and meltdowns. But now that he’s 11 he’s developing more self control. No autism, but if you looked at him at age 6 you would have thought so.

I’d be very wary of diagnosing another person’s child without personal knowledge. I do agree that socialization is a good thing.
The thing is, they are not treating a diagnosis of autism, they are treating the symptoms that he is displaying. They are trying to treat the sensory integration dysfunction that is triggering his anxiety in the classroom so that he can regulate himself enough to learn. I understand wanting to have input into what they call it, but simply having them take away the name autism and substitute it for some other neurological problem, the treatments are going to remain the same because they are based on his symptoms not his diagnosis.

If mom and dad homeschool him and don’t address the sensory integration issues it will be a huge mistake. They can get thousands and thousands of dollars in services just for him being a public school student. If she does homeschool him, I hope she at least take him to an outpatient facility to get evaluated and I have the sensory integration disorder treated. It is not something he will grow out of, and he needs to learn coping strategies and ways to regulate himself. She may want to do that anyway, it will be much more intensive than in school treatment. I’m also still pushing for the advocate. Again normally they are no cost to parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 09:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The thing is, they are not treating a diagnosis of autism, they are treating the symptoms that he is displaying. They are trying to treat the sensory integration dysfunction that is triggering his anxiety in the classroom so that he can regulate himself enough to learn. I understand wanting to have input into what they call it, but simply having them take away the name autism and substitute it for some other neurological problem, the treatments are going to remain the same because they are based on his symptoms not his diagnosis.

If mom and dad homeschool him and don’t address the sensory integration issues it will be a huge mistake. They can get thousands and thousands of dollars in services just for him being a public school student. If she does homeschool him, I hope she at least take him to an outpatient facility to get evaluated and I have the sensory integration disorder treated. It is not something he will grow out of, and he needs to learn coping strategies and ways to regulate himself. She may want to do that anyway, it will be much more intensive than in school treatment. I’m also still pushing for the advocate. Again normally they are no cost to parents.
I agree with you. Further evaluation is needed.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, most autistic children develop better self-control and learn ways to manage situations, as they get older. So I'd say that the fact that your son has improved in these areas doesn't mean that he is not autistic
I’d agree with you except as mentioned I already had him evaluated by a center that specializes in autism, and it was ruled out. His further social development also bears this out.

Quote:
In today's educational world of mainstreaming, no one who can possibly be educated in a mainstream setting gets pulled out. So your statement that kids with a diagnosis of autism get placed with other kids with autism is incorrect. However, kids with poor social skills and anxiety DO get group therapy with other kids with poor social skills and anxiety, together with example kids with great social skills to help them.
To a point, yes. Least restrictive environment is what is mandated, but if a child is bothered by noise it’s hard to be successfully placed into a gen ed setting with 20+ kids, even with an aide. My kids were in 8:1:1 to start. My oldest no longer has an IEP while my youngest will be fully mainstreamed with no accommodations next year.

Not all schools provide group therapy. Many have limited push in or pull out assistance. A lot depends on what is on offer by the district.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:08 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It sounds like your daughter's absences could have been addressed with a 504; was that ever presented as an option to you?

Actually I think the OP's grandchild's OCD & anxiety could also be addressed more appropriately with a 504 rather than an IEP & that would likely eliminate the constant edging towards IEP/Autism interventions.
Sorry, but no, no alternatives were ever mentioned. In our daughter's case, it was an actual physical problem that took a couple years, but once corrected has not bothered her since. The irony is she was actually on an IEP for gifted program, but that's a different story.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:58 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"Really? So pharmacies now accept prescriptions from teacher's aides (paraprofessionals)? Oh wait, they are dispensing too? As another stated, please, PLEASE provide some proof."

Don't freak out, folks. Words mean things. I said "were" dispensing medications to boys just being boys. "Were" is past tense from back when we actually had grammar schools in this nation. Our school district "was" doing this in the past. They had a big pint bottle of Ritalin tablets. I don't know where it went, but now all meds dispensed to students must come from parents or guardians along with specific quantities to be dispensed. Some students have epi-pens in case of insect bites or unintended consumption of gluten or peanuts.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Don't freak out, folks. Words mean things. I said "were" dispensing medications to boys just being boys. "Were" is past tense from back when we actually had grammar schools in this nation. Our school district "was" doing this in the past. They had a big pint bottle of Ritalin tablets.
Oh really? What year was this?

Old 02-03-2020, 03:58 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Really? So pharmacies now accept prescriptions from teacher's aides (paraprofessionals)? Oh wait, they are dispensing too? As another stated, please, PLEASE provide some proof."

Don't freak out, folks. Words mean things. I said "were" dispensing medications to boys just being boys. "Were" is past tense from back when we actually had grammar schools in this nation. Our school district "was" doing this in the past. They had a big pint bottle of Ritalin tablets. I don't know where it went, but now all meds dispensed to students must come from parents or guardians along with specific quantities to be dispensed. Some students have epi-pens in case of insect bites or unintended consumption of gluten or peanuts.
When I lived in a Boston suburb (late 1990), a friend's son was as smart as they come and full of energy. He was bored in Kindergarten.

The principal gave her a choice 1) go to the kid's doctor for Ritalin or 2) if he was not on Ritalin, he would not be allowed in school. 3) If the kid was not in school, principal would notify Department of Social Services of truancy. 4) The kid would be placed in foster care.

It was a reign of terror.

She gave her son Ritalin for a few days and decided it didn't make a difference. She stopped giving it to her son and told him to lie to the principal/school.

A year later, the principal was gone without warning. At the same time, the Boston Globe in ran a story on how many Boston area principals were deciding which kids need Ritalin and blackmailing the parents exactly like my friend was.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
When I lived in a Boston suburb (late 1990), a friend's son was as smart as they come and full of energy. He was bored in Kindergarten.

The principal gave her a choice 1) go to the kid's doctor for Ritalin or 2) if he was not on Ritalin, he would not be allowed in school. 3) If the kid was not in school, principal would notify Department of Social Services of truancy. 4) The kid would be placed in foster care.

It was a reign of terror.

She gave her son Ritalin for a few days and decided it didn't make a difference. She stopped giving it to her son and told him to lie to the principal/school.

A year later, the principal was gone without warning. At the same time, the Boston Globe in ran a story on how many Boston area principals were deciding which kids need Ritalin and blackmailing the parents exactly like my friend was.
Again, totally illegal as of 2004. I would have loved to see the lawsuits if they tried it now.

“Statute/Regs Main » Regulations » Part B » Subpart B » Section 300.174
300.174 Prohibition on mandatory medication.

(a) General. The SEA must prohibit State and LEA personnel from requiring parents to obtain a prescription for substances identified under schedules I, II, III, IV, or V in section 202(c) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812(c)) for a child as a condition of attending school, receiving an evaluation under §§300.300 through 300.311, or receiving services under this part.”

What the school could have done was to say that her son would not be able to be placed in a general education setting if he was disruptive, and then the alternative would be to seek alternative placement.

Even back in the 90’s the law still provided for a Free Appropriate Public Education.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:20 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Again, totally illegal as of 2004. I would have loved to see the lawsuits if they tried it now.

“Statute/Regs Main » Regulations » Part B » Subpart B » Section 300.174
300.174 Prohibition on mandatory medication.

(a) General. The SEA must prohibit State and LEA personnel from requiring parents to obtain a prescription for substances identified under schedules I, II, III, IV, or V in section 202(c) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812(c)) for a child as a condition of attending school, receiving an evaluation under §§300.300 through 300.311, or receiving services under this part.”

What the school could have done was to say that her son would not be able to be placed in a general education setting if he was disruptive, and then the alternative would be to seek alternative placement.

Even back in the 90’s the law still provided for a Free Appropriate Public Education.
The fact that they had to write such a law should be a good indication of schools pushing the inappropriate use of medication.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:52 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Again, totally illegal as of 2004.

It was the late 1990's.

He wasn't disruptive, he was a normal active and very intelligent six year old. The problem was his kindergarten teacher was well past the retirement age. If he had a younger and more active teacher, he would have been fine.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The fact that they had to write such a law should be a good indication of schools pushing the inappropriate use of medication.
Pretty much says it all.

In my experience and thinking, OP let the school give your grandson an IEP for autism. It's not like 1990's when he will be forced to take drugs.

An IEP is just a piece of paper. OP, pick your battles. This isn't a hill to die on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education