Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:50 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

It's called a dress code. If you cannot abide by it then find another place that allows it.
But it's quite selfish to want a place to change their rules to suit you personally.

Entities can set their rules as they see fit. And there are many that don't mind and abide by them.
Schools, HOA communities, Golf courses, even jobs all have rules that you must abide by if you want to be a part of that community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 09:14 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
There are private cyber schools. They aren't cheap, but they exist. I don't think they'd have such stringent hair related rules.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:30 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
It's kind of funny. The mother says that most of the schools that won't allow her son in with his spectacular hair, are Christian schools. "Jesus had long hair. So these schools wouldn't admit Jesus." As if Jesus and the life he lived has anything to do with the way Christianity is practiced by most Christian organizations, and their adherents.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
While I think this is most likely discrimination on the part of the school, I can see some problems with his hair as it is now. Kids being kids, I think the temptation to pull his hair might be a bit much for them.

However, hair doesn't really detract from kids getting an education if the school handles it reasonably. Our district recently changed their rules for hair because the rules were discriminating against black children.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:04 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Sure, yeah, follow the rules - AAs would still be sitting in the back of the bus! I don't get the basis for this - just purely the length? Because I'm sure girls can have this length...It's just plain silly to have such gender-based rules these days...just because?

I'm with the mom - and if kids "can't help themselves from pulling it" then they were raised badly and will need to be disciplined. I guess boys will get off scott free for snapping girls' bras? What other excuses can people come up with?

Old 02-01-2020, 09:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Post UK law doesn't permit any school to discriminate, but does permit grooming standards to be enforced

The schools mentioned in the various articles, are religious --The London Oratory School is Catholic, and Fulham Boys School is Christian.

It's almost like she is intentionally going after privately run schools where she knows they have published grooming standards which her instagram-star son's famous hairstyle would violate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure, yeah, follow the rules - AAs would still be sitting in the back of the bus! I don't get the basis for this - just purely the length? Because I'm sure girls can have this length...It's just plain silly to have such gender-based rules these days...just because?
In the USA,, self-funded religious schools don’t have to follow all the anti-discrimination laws that apply to government-funded schools.

OTOH, this article is about the UK, and rules are different there, either way, a school can set a dress and grooming code, especially if there is the merest veneer of a practical reason to justify hair length and style standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree in re hair and an education; that said, this story appears to be about more than some kid being discriminated against for long hair (and the last thing the mom apparently has on her mind is an education).

This kid is listed as an 'instagram star' (since before he was 7) and a 'London model'/celebrity. True, some of us live in the real world; and apparently others have a parent who lives in a 'model world' through her child seeking fame and celebrity over an education. Priorities.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with her son's 275,000 instagram followers and "career as a child model".

Old 02-01-2020, 10:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycatherine View Post
That is an impressive head of hair!

A hairstyle - whether one's own or one's peer's - isn't going to make or break anyone's education. Must be nice to run such a privileged school that you have time and energy to worry about dumb **** like this. Some of us live in the real world where we're more concerned about whether the students are going home to a parent passed out beside a dirty needle on the kitchen floor.
Exactly. So cut the kid's hair. That's not what education is about. His and his mother's focus should be on an education. Her priorities are out of whack.

But she got a pic of her son in the news, and he's a handsome young man. I'm guessing that was her goal.

I'd be interested in knowing what the boy's grades are.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:05 PM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I'm with the mom - and if kids "can't help themselves from pulling it" then they were raised badly and will need to be disciplined. I guess boys will get off scott free for snapping girls' bras? What other excuses can people come up with?
The length is not really the issue. It's the vast span of the hair. This style hair would still be an issue on a girl.

Imagine trying to work in an office environment having one of these on your desk.
https://www.britannica.com/plant/muhly

It would be hard to get any work done.

So the kids sitting behind her son need to suffer from distractions caused by his hair?
Oops her son turns left knocks stuff of the students desk. He turns back, then his hair smacks the student in the face. Sorry.

These are hardly excuses. I've experienced the same thing when I was in school. This girl had a similar hair style. It was not quite as long, but still annoying. Often she'd be combing or playing with it.
Yes I did get whipped by her hair once. I asked to change seats because of this.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:16 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's kind of funny. The mother says that most of the schools that won't allow her son in with his spectacular hair, are Christian schools. "Jesus had long hair.
It's VERY funny because:

#1:
Quote:
Bonnie Miller of the U.K. has been on the lookout for schools her son Farouk James could attend in the future, and two won't allow him in because of his long, natural hair.
Quote:
Farouk plans to attend Fulham Boys School for his secondary education but they would require him to cut his hair in order to attend.
He's 8 years old. Mommy Bonnie is whining about the "hair" policies at 2 schools she wants little Farouk to attend when he's older...b/c his (now) 23 year old half-brother attended one of: half-brother cut his hair shorter than a #2 buzz, knowing the rules of the school. And she had a problem with that, too.

She apparently can't figure it out - it's either one extreme or another, for her, and she whines about either.

How about just FOLLOW the rules of the school?

Maybe the 8 year old might want to get rid of that haystack by the time he's old enough to go to a secondary school. He might get tired of the 3 hours it takes his narcissistic mother to "do it with him" (special time for HER)... sooner than his wacko mother thinks.

#2: "Attention Who-re Mommy" has the audacity to compare her kid to Jesus...based on hair.

Quote:
So these schools wouldn't admit Jesus."
When her 23 year old purposely cut his hair shorter than the school allowed.. did she whine that these schools wouldn't admit Ghandi and his bald head?

Quote:
As if Jesus and the life he lived has anything to do with the way Christianity is practiced by most Christian organizations, and their adherents.
What was your point in adding that?

Are you good with those who DO adhere to the teachings in the Christian bible? If so, I hope you don't call those "types" RW religious nut jobs for ANY reason...

The Long and the Short of it:

Mommy Bonnie needs to get help from someone who knows how to take care of black hair b/c that is one huge dry looking haystack (yet gorgeous at the same time) of a mess and she's using every follicle of it (and her son who is attached to that haystack) for nothing other than attention.

If she weren't she wouldn't be "talking" about claiming her kid as "non binary" to get around the hair issue.

If you don't like any one of the RULES a private school has in their handy-dandy "student handbook" ... keep your kid in a public school or homeschool.

Kinda like if you want to rent one of my properties but don't like the terms of my lease? Rent from someone else.

Last edited by Informed Info; 02-01-2020 at 11:49 PM..

Old 02-02-2020, 09:46 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's kind of funny. The mother says that most of the schools that won't allow her son in with his spectacular hair, are Christian schools. "Jesus had long hair. So these schools wouldn't admit Jesus." As if Jesus and the life he lived has anything to do with the way Christianity is practiced by most Christian organizations, and their adherents.
Pardon me - but could you direct me to where in the bible it says Jesus had long hair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education