Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 05:56 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Just get the kid’s hair cut, for gods sake. It’s just hair. Maybe learning to follow rules is an important life lesson too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 06:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
This is in the UK, no draft registration, no draft.

Just wait.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:08 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you walked into the firm I work at with hair looking like that, the hiring manager probably wouldn't even bother to interview you. At some point kids need to start learning about decorum and grooming standards. Some schools start that process early, some don't bother at all -- it's a matter of educational philosophy. If your kid's Halloween wig is that important to you and/or him, find a school whose philosophy permits it instead of trying to change a school's educational philosophy around your kid's hair.
Hair is philosophy?

Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just get the kid’s hair cut, for gods sake. It’s just hair. Maybe learning to follow rules is an important life lesson too.
If it's "just hair", why is it suh a huge issue?

Old 02-03-2020, 11:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Speaking of the real world, some day an employer will tell the kid "Sorry, no job unless you cut your hair." Then what? He runs home and gets Mommy to go talk to the employer?
Believe or not some parents do call a employer to complain or demand a raise for their kid

Old 02-03-2020, 01:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Speaking of the real world, some day an employer will tell the kid "Sorry, no job unless you cut your hair." Then what? He runs home and gets Mommy to go talk to the employer?

There's always SOMEONE who likes to bring up "Some day he's going to grow up and who will hire him?" dialogue.

He's 8.

I realize this is in the U.K., but do they not have public schools in the U.K.? Sounds like his mom is trying to enroll him in private schools. IMO, private schools can make up pretty much any rules they want, and have any dress code they want.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I realize this is in the U.K., but do they not have public schools in the U.K.? Sounds like his mom is trying to enroll him in private schools. IMO, private schools can make up pretty much any rules they want, and have any dress code they want.
Not just private schools... private Christian schools with published grooming codes for hair, etc.

Her first choice was the Catholic school that hassled her eldest son over his hair when he attended

Old 02-03-2020, 05:31 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Jesus, The assumptions you're making in this post are astounding. The kid clearly has his hair braided otherwise it wouldn't be 'wavy', By your logic any hairstyle can be a distraction ie; mohawk, dreadlocs etc.

If your child can't learn because another student has dreads, That sounds like a personal problem.
Lastly the onin should be on the teacher to assign a proper seating chart.
It’s wavy because that’s his hair type. Mine is the same way. I don’t braid it.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:42 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hair is philosophy?
Speaking of school, if that's what you took away from my post, you need to go to one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If it's "just hair", why is it suh a huge issue?
Ask the parent who's making a huge issue of it.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I don't need to go around researching ethnic hair, I'm Black and my hair is coarse.
Just by looking at that childs hair its blatant that at some point its been braided, Which would be the right thing to do considering the knots he would struggle with on the daily would make the upkeep intense.

Now whether it was micro braids/singles or thick braids just to keep the hair neat and prevent knotting that's a different story.
That's different though than saying that it has to have been braided if it is wavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education