Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 11:11 AM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/u...ronavirus.html

One after the other, like dominoes, colleges announced that because of coronavirus fears, they were suspending classes and asking students to pack up and go.
-------
Should've done this a month ago.... People in the United States need to start taking this seriously. Look at how much was locked down in China. They know the truth. So annoyed with how Americans are taking things casually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 11:28 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,230,685 times
I feel sorry for some students that get kicked out and have no place to stay.

If they've paid for housing, I'd be screaming loud and hard for the colleges to put me up someplace on their(my paid for) nickel.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I read that there are some charities providing help to students with nowhere to go, but I wonder how limited that will be.

Not every college student can go back to live in their parent's home.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I read that there are some charities providing help to students with nowhere to go, but I wonder how limited that will be.

Not every college student can go back to live in their parent's home.
College is in session for roughly half the year (usually two thirteen week semesters), so what do these people do for the other half of the year when they can't live in the dorm?

Why does everything always have to be turned into a humanitarian crisis. Uggh.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:42 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Some schools are making arrangements for those students who truly have no place else to go (like many of the international students) to remain in the dorms. If the vast majority of the students go home and only the ones who really have no other alternative remain behind, the chief risk (crowding, leading to rapid spread of the infection) is gone.

But getting most (if not all) of the students of of the campus and switching things over to online learning simply has to be done. Something these two Amherst students clearly don't grasp.

Let's face it: we are ALL going to be facing significant disruptions in our lives, courtesy of this stupid virus. The sooner we come to accept that, the better off we will be.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:56 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
College is in session for roughly half the year (usually two thirteen week semesters), so what do these people do for the other half of the year when they can't live in the dorm?

Why does everything always have to be turned into a humanitarian crisis. Uggh.
What do they do for the other half of the year? They fly back home, but that takes time, money and planning.

If you were kicked out without notice, and wound up on the street, how would you feel?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:45 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Some schools are making arrangements for those students who truly have no place else to go (like many of the international students) to remain in the dorms. If the vast majority of the students go home and only the ones who really have no other alternative remain behind, the chief risk (crowding, leading to rapid spread of the infection) is gone.

But getting most (if not all) of the students of of the campus and switching things over to online learning simply has to be done. Something these two Amherst students clearly don't grasp.

Let's face it: we are ALL going to be facing significant disruptions in our lives, courtesy of this stupid virus. The sooner we come to accept that, the better off we will be.
That is exactly what is happening at colleges that are sending their students home for a few weeks or until fall semester.

I read the WaPo article. Those two Amherst students are clueless.

The colleges will figure out how bio/chem/physics/stat labs will work out...so I'm sure they will also figure out how the art/theater/dance/music majors will "manage".

Old 03-12-2020, 11:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
What do they do for the other half of the year? They fly back home, but that takes time, money and planning.

If you were kicked out without notice, and wound up on the street, how would you feel?
But that isn't what is happening.

Colleges are working with their students who can't leave campus for whatever the reason is.

You can google any college and find their Covid-19 plan.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:09 AM

774 posts, read 744,856 times
This is the part of the article that made me burst out laughing. "Communications from the school this week indicate that refunding the cost of room and board — but not tuition — is being considered."

Do they honestly think it's an option? If you aren't allowing me to stay in the room I paid for or eat the meals I paid for then there would be no consideration. It would be refunded immediately.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:25 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:

Exactly! My sister lives in upstate NY and has twin boys, one who goes to college in Michigan and the other in New Hampshire, each about 400-500 miles apart from her in opposite directions. She was suddenly told yesterday afternoon that both sons have to vacate by 6pm today no questions asked!

Since they said they can leave their stuff and there will be arrangements to come back and get it (the NH college anticipates eventually having non-virtual classes in April, the Michigan college does not but still will let them come back for it later on), they tried to book a plane but a combination of cancelling empty domestic flights and the pressure of using those planes to fly everyone running back from Europe before the travel ban takes effect meant no flights. So she had to suddenly book a motel room and drive all night to one location and got her ex-husband to do the same with the other location. Then this morning they will have to drive all day back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
But that isn't what is happening.

Colleges are working with their students who can't leave campus for whatever the reason is.

You can google any college and find their Covid-19 plan.
Not exactly true. They are often making it difficult to prove that you can't leave. Obviously if during the summer you live with your folks and they are like only a half day drive away or less it makes sense to push you leaving. And in reverse, if you are an international student, they are also working very well with them to stay or find some reasonable arrangement. But if you are a domestic student who is a plane ride and/or an entire day's drive away and the record shows you live with your parents, for the most part they are not being sympathetic at all.

I am going shortly to get my own son from college in a similar situation but it's only a 1-2 hour drive and I have good paid leave benefits I can use on short notice without it being a stigma. But in my sister's case above, while she too is fortunate in paid leave, she pleaded with the Michigan school (a very large one with a diverse student body in terms of geography) to at least let him stay until next week so they could find a flight or not have to make such sudden arragements to do a 900 mile round trip and they said no. The New Hampshire school was eventually willing to extend until Monday but his dad offered to just get it over with so she wouldn't have to make 2 such trips in one weekend or scramble to find a flight for him.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 03-13-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education