Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM

4,966 posts, read 5,223,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes- the "communal supply" model was the one I was thinking of in my OP and maybe I should have been clearer. One friend told me she'd bought her son cute pencils emblazoned with soccer balls because he was a soccer fan. Into the communal supply they went.

If the districts are collecting for the entire academic year at the beginning of the year (with some extra for kids who don't or can't bring anything), I'd think they'd have a surplus right now and I hope they don't go to waste. I hate waste, whether it's my money or stuff or someone else's.

And no, I'm not accusing the teachers of anything nefarious. I read the "Why Teachers Quit" thread. I could not do their jobs.
We had something similar to the soccer ball pencils. We moved as my daughter was going into 4th grade. I let her pick out a cute spiral notebook. She wrote her name on it. The teacher had all the kids put all of their stuff into a communal tub. Some other little girl decided she liked my daughter's notebook and marked my daughter's name off and put her name on instead. My daughter was not happy.

The teachers are dealing with a lot. I've donated quite a bit towards supplies and other wish lists throughout the year. The districts handling of how they do the initial supply list is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:09 PM

8,815 posts, read 15,248,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We had something similar to the soccer ball pencils. We moved as my daughter was going into 4th grade. I let her pick out a cute spiral notebook. She wrote her name on it. The teacher had all the kids put all of their stuff into a communal tub. Some other little girl decided she liked my daughter's notebook and marked my daughter's name off and put her name on instead. My daughter was not happy.

The teachers are dealing with a lot. I've donated quite a bit towards supplies and other wish lists throughout the year. The districts handling of how they do the initial supply list is the problem.
This is what I do. The students bring in their supplies. Each student gets a large Ziploc bag with their name on it. The supplies not needed at the time go into their own bag. The bags go into crates. When a student needs more supplies he/she gets their own from their own bag.

At the end of the year they take home whatever is left. That's it. It works well.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:15 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,240,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This is what I do. The students bring in their supplies. Each student gets a large Ziploc bag with their name on it. The supplies not needed at the time go into their own bag. The bags go into crates. When a student needs more supplies he/she gets their own from their own bag.

At the end of the year they take home whatever is left. That's it. It works well.

I like this! How does it work for kids whose parents don't or can't provide supplies?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:00 PM

8,815 posts, read 15,248,686 times
Quote:
I like this! How does it work for kids whose parents don't or can't provide supplies?
Thankfully I haven't really run into those problems, but if I did have a student who couldn't provide supplies (There have been a few in the past), the school would be able to do so. I don't recall ever having a family not provide requested supplies.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,066,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
An even better idea would be for those parents to start putting pressure on their local School Boards to fully fund supplies instead of declaring various items "not educationally necessary". It would have been real nice to not have run out of copy paper, toilet paper and toner in March with no replacement (except out of personal funds) until August.
"But supplies cost *gasp* money and if you think I am spending one cent more on my property taxes!"

Old 04-20-2020, 11:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,934,068 times
Quote:
If the districts are collecting for the entire academic year at the beginning of the year (with some extra for kids who don't or can't bring anything), I'd think they'd have a surplus right now and I hope they don't go to waste. I hate waste, whether it's my money or stuff or someone else's.
Supplies don't always last until the end of the school year. My school will have had 6 weeks of distant learing by the end of the school year. Not really enough time to create any sizeable surplus, especially considering we were already running out of some supplies before we closed.

I wouldn't expect a smaller school supply list next year, and I would not bring it up with the teacher either.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:24 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,227,037 times
My son goes to a charter school and his supply list was about half a mile long. Reams of copy paper, construction paper, 6 folders, dry erase markers etc etc etc. And around December they sent a note home that said if you can spare it, we need more glue sticks, crayons and paper towels. Its Kindergarten. Its not a wealthy school district so a lot of the students are lacking. So i send in a dozen glue sticks, 6 boxes of crayons and some paper towels.

Our school was not shady about the communal supplies. On his list it said 1 notebook with your name on it 1 folder with your name on it. And everything else in bags with your name on the outside and your teacher. We went the first day of school and threw our bags with teachers name in a huge pile with all the other kids. I assume they have a supply closet they all draw from/

I think since they asked for more mid year that they dont have excess. Just in case though, then we brought the scissors I bought a 4 pack, in case some kids didnt bring etc.

I dont think teachers are hoarding supplies. We already ask for too much personal financial sacrifice from teachers.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,524,700 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I went through fewer than that- and I'm wiling to bet that since there were no computers in my classrooms I probably wrote a lot more with pencil than the average student today. So you're saying the average student needs to replace a pencil every few weeks? Why? even if one falls to the floor and breaks, you sharpen the end of the half with the eraser and you keep going.
I have kids that can go through pencils so fast it would make your head spin. Personally, I don't see how, but it happens. At the end of the day I pick up pencils, etc off the floor and toss into.

YOU'D BE AMAZED AT HOW MANY KIDS WILL NOT PICK UP STUFF THAT THEY DROP.

Last edited by pobre; 04-25-2020 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yes- the "communal supply" model was the one I was thinking of in my OP and maybe I should have been clearer. One friend told me she'd bought her son cute pencils emblazoned with soccer balls because he was a soccer fan. Into the communal supply they went.

And no, I'm not accusing the teachers of anything nefarious. I read the "Why Teachers Quit" thread. I could not do their jobs.
In my experience, communal supplies are *usually* at the younger grade levels. It is simply easier to set down a basket of scissors than to have 25 5 years old kids attempt to dig them out.

In my classroom, everyone keeps their own things. The only "community' supplies I keep are glue bottles so they don't leak. Any items in my "bin from the floor" without names and unclaimed might go to a loaner bin for future use. (like scissors)

Oh and you'd be shocked at how kids will come into the room (5th grade) and tell me "you need to give me a pencil". To the bin you go!

Old 04-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Me too! Extras in a large ziploc. Around March, I have them take back anything still in there. If they are responsible for their own supplies, they manage them better (well, at least some do!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education