Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 07:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The problem I see is if we as a society tell every kid that they should go to college
because that represents success and social mobility...
The #1 reason for these kids to go to college is because so many jobs require a degree to apply.
Note however that the actual work of rather few of these jobs really requires that education.

Quote:
Too many people go to college just because they feel they have to
rather than because of any specific interest in any area of study.
See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 08:19 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I would rather live in a neighborhood filled highly-skilled tradespeople (plumbers, electricians, etc.) than I would like to be surrounded by stockbrokers, for example.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:21 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The #1 reason for these kids to go to college is because so many jobs require a degree to apply.
Note however that the actual work of rather few of these jobs really requires that education.

See above.
As someone who's hired for positions like that, when we upped the education requirement to bachelors our candidates got much better.

Technically you shouldn't need a college degree for that position, but we found the caliber of candidate without it was not good enough. High schools just aren't putting out decent product anymore.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
THIS. You have all these people on here pulling numbers out of their ... with nothing to back them up. The proof is in the real numbers. Its rare for skilled trades to make into the six figures. If they do, its temporary due to working crazy back breaking hours. With the top 25% making 70k (from long hours), that means these 100k numbers people are spouting out are probably the top 5%. The top 5% of college graduates make much much more than that.
I hate to break this to you, but 70 percent of American workers make less than six figures.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ome-in-the-us/
This includes quite a few of the 27 percent of Americans with four year college degrees or higher. The median income for people with a bachelor's degree is $61,000.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:50 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
As someone who's hired for positions like that, when we upped the education requirement to bachelors our candidates got much better.

Technically you shouldn't need a college degree for that position, but we found the caliber of candidate without it was not good enough. High schools just aren't putting out decent product anymore.
I feel the same way when I am hiring for sales roles. Technically no degree is needed, but I’m starting people at $150K. I expect a certain caliber of person and when I require a degree, the applicant pool gets much better.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:09 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That's certainly true. Sales require a certain personality type. And there's far more sales jobs than people actually good at it.

I'm afraid one won't find some silver bullet that just will solve the problems of the job market for everyone. The key is to find the solution that's right for you.

Not everyone is a good fit for the trades, not everyone is a good fit for sales etc.

The problem I see is if we as a society tell every kid that they should go to college because that represents success and social mobility even if that does not suit them at all. Too many people go to college just because they feel they have to rather than because of any specific interest in any area of study.
And in the process they sometimes rack up student loan debt that sets them back years financially.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:25 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I feel the same way when I am hiring for sales roles. Technically no degree is needed, but I’m starting people at $150K. I expect a certain caliber of person and when I require a degree, the applicant pool gets much better.
Way back when, I remember applying for a $15/hr accounting tech job in the accounting department of my utility that didn't require a degree. In the interview, the hiring supervisor asked if I had a degree in accounting, I said no, that it wasn't listed in the requirements, and I had 3 years experience doing this exact job description. He said he wanted to hire someone with an accounting degree so they would be "promotable", and since I didn't have one, I didn't get the job. I'm so glad! I got a better position, in a different department, and was promoted 6 times over my 25 year career there, ended my career making the magical $100k. I guess I was promotable after all.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 AM

45 posts, read 30,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Way back when, I remember applying for a $15/hr accounting tech job in the accounting department of my utility that didn't require a degree. In the interview, the hiring supervisor asked if I had a degree in accounting, I said no, that it wasn't listed in the requirements, and I had 3 years experience doing this exact job description. He said he wanted to hire someone with an accounting degree so they would be "promotable", and since I didn't have one, I didn't get the job. I'm so glad! I got a better position, in a different department, and was promoted 6 times over my 25 year career there, ended my career making the magical $100k. I guess I was promotable after all.
You made 100k in accounting without a degree?

Old 06-04-2020, 09:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

That said, I'd be curious to know what 'useless' five degrees he has.
  • Mech Eng
  • Civil Eng
  • International Business / PM / Supply Chain / Contract negotiations
  • Finance
  • MBA

Also hold certs in Secondary and Voc-Tech ed, teach at CC and State U's, and for US SBA (in my free time)

All 'Fluff' to me, and VERY (very) EZ to obtain 'degrees' compared to actually WORKING (and all degrees were FREE from a great employer, while working FT), I preferred my careers in Skilled Trades (actually DOING something...) Sure, my US Patents and Invention Disclosures were nice to hang on the wall, and made good walnut wood for hobby projects.

To each their own.
My degrees only serve for tools in my box to open a few doors (BTW: I'm headed back to college for another in the next yr, good to always keep alert to the EDU options around you. I would hope to attend an international U if I am purposed to actually learn any applicable career based content (which I am not).) Still seeking out some international options, as most I consult in SBA are immigrants. (they have the incentive to be successful, very rewarding to mentor)

There are a lot of educated 'fools' out there (especially in USA) and here on C-D.

Many (most) are very destructive to USA productivity and skill gains (it shows).

"When all is said and done,... There is a lot more SAID than Done" (USA management mantra)

Pretty sad.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Clearly there are outliers. I’m not saying all people without degrees are worthless, but I don’t have the time to sort through all the losers without degrees to find the gems. The hit rate is far better when I require a degree. Degrees are no guarantee either. I mean stealth has 5 of them and I wouldn’t ever hire that guy.

Your situation was a different time. College wasn’t the expectation then. It’s table stakes now 25 plus years later. I’m starting people at $150K. You finished at $100K.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-04-2020 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education