Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM

45 posts, read 30,598 times

Advertisements

It's been hyped up the last few years especially. You hear about guys making 100 or even 200 thousand dollars a year. Sure there might be some. But for every 1 of those guys theres 99 others making 15 to 20 per hour.
It just seems so overrated. Anybody else think this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 01:45 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab1721 View Post
It's been hyped up the last few years especially. You hear about guys making 100 or even 200 thousand dollars a year. Sure there might be some. But for every 1 of those guys theres 99 others making 15 to 20 per hour.
If you're any good at all, after spending a few years working for someone else after tech school, it's relatively easy to start your own company and make a VERY good living. This is especially true in those with the skills to do home remodeling or working in the fields of HVAC, concrete work, electrician, & plumbing. The same holds true for good mechanics and people with small engine repair talents.

Starting your own business is where these skills really pay off. Don't believe me? Check your invoice after you have any of these trades do work for you. It's nothing to charge $ 70 to $ 100+ per hour just for the labor. A nice upswing from the $ 15 to $ 20 per hour occasional beginner wage.

Old 05-31-2020, 01:46 PM

130,218 posts, read 12,093,129 times
If you can get a Union job in a trade, you are set for life. Also, these jobs are much harder to outsource.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
And your exposure experience to judge? or only preconceived / hear-say?

As above... If you are GOOD at your skilled trade, and it is in demand... you can write your own ticket, and have a very fruitful and productive career.

I finished my apprenticeship at age 22 and had a very great career. I also achieved 5 degrees, so could choose between Professional and Trades throughout my 40+ career yrs. I switched tracts 5x, and appreciated the flexibility. For me the BEST (most rewarding) years were always in the trades. Everyday accomplishing some amazing results and unique inventions.

Office / professional jobs are a dime a dozen and your coworkers (and bosses) are often ONLY educated, NOT proficient / GOOD at their jobs, as the proof is NOT in their daily physical accomplishments. Many 'fake-it' for 30+ yrs. They are miserable to work with and work for. On the other hand... in a Skilled Trade, you either 'cut-the-mustard' (are excellent) or you are GONE! Some unions offer protection for slackers, but... there are actually few slackers who can survive a 4-5+ yr apprenticeship.

To do over... I would stick to a skilled trade, and get one advanced degree for 'insurance' (In case you get injured).

Skilled, I always made a lot more annual pay than my weasel managers. They really despised that.

One benefit of skilled... is by age 22-24 you are making FULL salary and LOTS of OT (usually more $ / yr than standard salary) + you have been making a strong wage since age 18 as an apprentice. Thus your 'buddies' in college are just exiting the USA great education system (?) with no (little) earnings, no experience, and $50k debt. You should have a few hundred $k headstart on them. For retirement / LT investments, time is your BEST friend. Your 'professional' friends will take 10+ yrs to catch up, and if you are GOOD at your skilled trade, they will never catch-up. (until you get divorced!)

If you are not excellent at a skill, nor desire to be. Stick with a professional job. Some (few) degreed jobs are also very 'Skill dependent" i.e. Medical, Law, Technical Professions that actually have a skill component. If you have time and money and aptitude... those careers will serve you well. Otherwise... go get an MBA / management job and go ruin a bunch of lives for your 'slaves'. After you retire, you can be president of your HOA or an Elder in your church and thus perpetually be a big honcho that destroys the lives of others to feel great / that you accomplished your 'purpose' each day. Works for millions.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-31-2020 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 04:16 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Thought you wanted an office job for 15 to 20 an hour?

Old 05-31-2020, 05:42 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It's nothing to charge $ 70 to $ 100+ per hour just for the labor. A nice upswing from the $ 15 to $ 20 per hour occasional beginner wage.
Someone charging $70/hr is only making about $20/hr! An unskilled labourer making minimum wage is billed $55/hr.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
I think holding down a job is underrated
I am seeing a frightening amount young people not capable of doing so in any capacity

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-31-2020 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 08:06 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Someone charging $70/hr is only making about $20/hr! An unskilled labourer making minimum wage is billed $55/hr.
Not if you're self employed. Besides, what's charged "per hour" is often based on the time that task is supposed to take. Best example being a mechanic. Everything is billed based on the Chilton manual which basically breaks down every job by how long it takes. Say a job per the manual list it to take 1 1/2 hours. If you've done this same job multiple times and don't have to study up on how to do it you might be able to accomplish it in 3/4 hour. You still bill the job at your shop rate (say $ 100/hr.) times the 1 1/2 hours the posted shop hourly charge is for a total of $150. Meanwhile you're on to the next job ahead of time.

By the end of the day you may have worked 8 hours, but billed out 10 or 11 hours making a cool $ 200 to $ 300 more than what your business' posted labor rate is.

Other trades are different, but as long as it's YOUR business there isn't a ceiling on your wages.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:14 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Nope.........

A friends kid just got into the local welding union.........kid is 20-21 and making $1500 a week. Pretty strong money for a gig with full benefits too.

I know a local welder in town that has specialized in aluminum fuel tanks for boats. He builds everything custom, a 40 gallon tank is $900 plus shipping. He is a skilled welder, owns the business and the warehouse it is run out of. I am happy to pay him whatever he needs for a job as it is done right and I can't weld!

I can do anything mechanical, I suck at carpentry. So if a carpenter comes to my house for a job I pay whatever he charges!

A buddy owns a local tree trimming company. Just trims trees, no planting/no landscaping. They do 5mm a year in business. That's 100K a week!

Trades are fine if you got a skill no one else does!

Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Not if you're self employed. Besides, what's charged "per hour" is often based on the time that task is supposed to take. Best example being a mechanic. Everything is billed based on the Chilton manual which basically breaks down every job by how long it takes. Say a job per the manual list it to take 1 1/2 hours. If you've done this same job multiple times and don't have to study up on how to do it you might be able to accomplish it in 3/4 hour. You still bill the job at your shop rate (say $ 100/hr.) times the 1 1/2 hours the posted shop hourly charge is for a total of $150. Meanwhile you're on to the next job ahead of time.

By the end of the day you may have worked 8 hours, but billed out 10 or 11 hours making a cool $ 200 to $ 300 more than what your business' posted labor rate is.

Other trades are different, but as long as it's YOUR business there isn't a ceiling on your wages.
Glitch in your concept is the chilton manual changed the game about 20 years ago figuring the rates using air tools vs. hand tools. The change shortened up the labor times, making that overage harder to achieve.

The other problem, if you finish you might be sitting on your tool box for 2 hours doing nothing, making nothing.

Local BMW dealer is charging like $220 an hour, I'd bet there isn't a tech in that building making over $40 an hour. They get book time for hooking your car up to a computer for updates, so 2 hour "update" costs $440 and the computer is doing the work, no tech in sight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education