Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,237 times

Advertisements

come on pegmom....we are awaiting your words of wisdom. or, are you busy looking for more dirt on teachers? or, are you busy trying to conjure up a lawsuit of your own?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
hey pegmom....who are you and what cause are you working for? all of your posts about education are negative. you are always putting down educators and taking up for students. i challenge you to go to a junior high or high school for a month and observe the idiotic things kids do. of course, that would take too much effort on your part. it is much easier to sit back and look for negative articles on the internet isn't it?
Very well put!!!!!!!! I was also wondering what pegmomof4 does for a living. I mean honestly I think she purposely sits around and looks for dirt on teachers or education in general. Pegmomof4, before you start putting down teachers again, I think booker_one is right. You definitely should maybe try substitute teaching for awhile and see some of the stupid things kids do. I mean kids do have to have consequences and it seems like everytime a teacher hands out a consequence, you look at it as abuse. I am a teacher and do you think that I should just let the kids run the classroom? What do you think would happen? There are many worse things happening to children all over the world than corporal punishment. Like all those poor kids who are forced into prostitution in India because their parents need money. Those kids don't even get the privilege to go to school.

I do think that some kids do need a light swat to get their attention. I don't think that all kids need corporal punishment. There are some kids who don't like to miss recess and others laugh at the idea. I have some kids who hate receiving a warning. I don't think that corporal punishment is appropriate for a 17 year old. I think that if he missed class he should simply have to make it up on Saturday perhaps or if he plays sports he should have to sit out for one game. My high school used to have Saturday school for kids who missed class. I mean honestly aren't 17 year olds a little big to be getting paddled?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
come on pegmom....we are awaiting your words of wisdom. or, are you busy looking for more dirt on teachers? or, are you busy trying to conjure up a lawsuit of your own?
I wonder. I am waiting too. Maybe she decided to get off her butt and see what actually happens in a real classroom. Hopefully, she is working in a class with a lot of disruptive students.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
I think corporal punishment can be a useful tool but only by the parents.-and definately not a 17 yr old. Does anyone else find this almost funny that they spanked an almost-grown man? When I was in high school I would much rather have been paddled then having driving priviledges taken away or an early curfew

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I don't believe for a MOMENT that corporal punishment should be left in the hands of a teacher and if it were my child there would be serious problems for the teacher who did this, I would more then likely sue to drive my point home.

Even when corporal punishment is acceptable the offense is MINOR even if he did really miss a class and for a 17 year old totally unreasonable.

I will NEVER agree to corporal punishment and its NOT out of the hands of the parents. If you don't agree with this kind of treatment, you have a right to stand up and say something. No one has a right to do something to your child without your permission.

As for the teachers, I couldn't do that even if it was within the policy of the school to do so.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Perhaps one of pegmomof4's kids have been severely beaten and/or injured by a teacher and has caused her to take this up as a quest. I believe any parent in that scenario would possibly be doing what she's doing now. If you look at her blog, those pictures are disturbing. I agree that her posts are negative toward educators, but I have to say what she brings up is the abuse portion, physical primarily. Until we know what is behind this motivation, I think we should respect her desire to post.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 04-30-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: changed word

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Everyone is welcome to post and as long as the TOS is followed all posts are welcome. As long as we debate the issues and refrain from personal attacks we are good to go!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
When I was 14 and in 9th grade (I am female and now almost 50,) I made the mistake of chewing gum in my physics class. I was caught and made to swallow my gum. While I would never ask a student of mine (I am a teacher myself now) to swallow their gum, I believe that making me swallow the gum could be considered a slightly appropriate punishment. Well, the punishment did not stop there. My teacher told me that offenders caught dhewing gum in class also would get 2 swats with the paddle. In order to do this, the offender had to bend over and grab their ankles. I was wearing a dress that day and he told me that the first day I wore pants, I'd get my punishment. This was in January in NW Wyoming. I wore a dress or skirt until sometime in April. And sure enough, that nasty awful male teacher remembered and forced me (in front of the whole class) to bend over, grab my ankles and he swatted me twice, hard.

Please believe me when I tell you that my largest infraction at school up to that point in my education was chewing gum or possibly passing notes in class. I was not a behavior problem at all and I was a very good student. I was so angry at that teacher that my grades in that class dropped considerably. To this day, I don't remember any names of teachers from that year in school, except his. And I only have fleeting memories of that year, however that incident is completely clear in my memory. I remember every moment. From experience, I can say that corporal punishment of any child in school is NOT a good thing, and to a teen, it is particularly humiliating.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,468 times
Quote:
hey pegmom....who are you and what cause are you working for? all of your posts about education are negative. you are always putting down educators and taking up for students. i challenge you to go to a junior high or high school for a month and observe the idiotic things kids do. of course, that would take too much effort on your part. it is much easier to sit back and look for negative articles on the internet isn't it?
When are there ever positive articles nowadays?
Especially regarding education?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:24 AM

498 posts, read 1,519,520 times
Exclamation Unite

Hey pegmom, There are alot of negative people out here in this world.You are so right. Noone should be touching our children that way.That is way out of line. I hate to think what I would do or how I would react.I am a hands on mom always.Inspite of other peoples opinions and trash spwen from their mouths. We are mothers,which does give us the right to gripe about what other people do with our children,while in their care. I say keep driving your point, it has to STOP!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education