Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 AM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times

Advertisements

cbs11tv.com - Johnson County Mother Says Joshua School Took Corporal Punishment Too Far (http://cbs11tv.com/local/student.Corporal.Punishment.2.710847.html - broken link)

I just wonder what is going on in the minds of the adults who think that taking a wooden board and striking another human being solves anything. This near adult student missed a class, and was struck so hard that he bled. I hope that this family takes legal action.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
I hope he shows up on time from now on.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times
Not being on time is a really bad excuse for hitting someone, especially a 17 yo boy, c'mon. He must be a really nice boy though, because most that age wouldn't stand for the humiliation of being hit like that.

Hopefully, they will abolish the practice.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 AM

285 posts, read 1,090,977 times
I can't think of an educationally sound reason to promote violence in school. Children have made mistakes for years. So have teachers. We don't hit prisoners, mental patients, day care children, pre school students, children in foster care. We don't hit wives and slaves anymore. Why school children?

Students will make mistakes. I challenge the educated sector to model best practice. Picking up a wooden board and hitting a child is not best practice. Why do some cling to it? What is accomplished through hitting a child that can not be done by talking or using other effective discipline? What training do educators receive to teach how to hit children with wooden boards? If there is no "right" way and educationally sound way to do it, why do some professionals still hold onto this practice?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
"Children have made mistakes for years. So have teachers. We don't hit prisoners, mental patients, day care children, pre school students, children in foster care. We don't hit wives and slaves anymore. Why school children?"

Bingo! That might be one of the most lucid and intelligent posts that I've read on this forum. A direct relationship between behavior and consequence can be taught without striking someone. Period.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Also in agreement with what you said, I find it hard to believe that you can teach a child that a mistake is not a failure, but instead an opportunity to learn, if you strike them for making a mistake.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
hey pegmom....who are you and what cause are you working for? all of your posts about education are negative. you are always putting down educators and taking up for students. i challenge you to go to a junior high or high school for a month and observe the idiotic things kids do. of course, that would take too much effort on your part. it is much easier to sit back and look for negative articles on the internet isn't it?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
cbs11tv.com - Johnson County Mother Says Joshua School Took Corporal Punishment Too Far (http://cbs11tv.com/local/student.Corporal.Punishment.2.710847.html - broken link)

I just wonder what is going on in the minds of the adults who think that taking a wooden board and striking another human being solves anything. This near adult student missed a class, and was struck so hard that he bled. I hope that this family takes legal action.
WoW, what a savage thing to do. Anyone who thinks paddling a kid for being late to class should have their head examined. Talk about cruel and unusual punishment!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
for missing one class? that sounds like momma's way of saying he skipped class doesn't it? of course, it is not her kid's fault....it was by mistake of band teachers.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM

604 posts, read 1,185,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post

The same thing that goes through the minds of adults who think that spanking their children solves anything. I've grown tired of your posts. Yes, corporal punishment is bad and should be banned. We got that part. I'm sure there's not a single day that goes by without some inappropriate use of this outdated approach to discipline. But it's really out of our hands and up to the local and state agencies. I would so rather hear about some other issue at this point. There's tons of them.....that predate and perhaps contribute to the events which lead to school administered corporal punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education