Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,668 times

Advertisements

A friend asks," Why is no one, apart from the people impacted actively, talking about and planning for the economic collapse when kids can't go back to 5 day/week school this fall?"

Are your state or local governments discussing it? Are your papers/news stations/news sites discussing it?

Please share anything you've read/seen/heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 05:22 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,202,977 times
ELI5 why there would be a collapse.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
ELI5 why there would be a collapse.
Because if people are staying home with their kids more and working less (or not at all), then paying property taxes (or other municipal taxes) is going to be tough. Paying for the schools and other town/city expenses is going to be tougher.

[s]Not to mention[/s] People will also have less money to buy things... and it snowballs from there.

There are political ramifications, as well, with the driving question about how best to mitigate the ensuing lack of financial movement in the economy.

Am I making sense?!

Old 07-06-2020, 05:51 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/b...OQ2X-6CK63WCik

In the Covid-19 Economy, You Can Have a Kid or a Job. You Can’t Have Both.
Our struggle is not an emotional concern. We are not burned out. We are being crushed by an economy that has bafflingly declared working parents inessential.

Last edited by jps-teacher; 07-06-2020 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: added headline

Old 07-06-2020, 10:07 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,202,977 times
Many parents can WFH or switch work hours or hire nannies or have family help. . . I was a latch key kid long before it was a thing and didn't seem to do me any harm.
I
But of the parents I know none have expressed any concern about it. I do know a surprising number of people who only one spouse works anyway.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There are 24 hrs in a day.

Millions have handled this for many generations; (Our extended family has done BOTH *(Worked FT and educated their own kids)/ (4) were FT public school teachers FT + home educators + parents + active community volunteers
You Can Have a Kid or a Job. You Can’t Have Both. Wrong... very simple... Just Do It. Family first!

Why in the world would someone consider THIS!
""does your government have a plan for what to do?""

Since when has the government been knowledgeable, or responsible for how to raise and educate our families?

Better to think and act like the Russians, Chinese, or North Koreans... (Our government is NOT our friend, and certainly not our 'family centric' friend!) Big advantage to KNOWING and acting on that fact.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:15 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,506,701 times
Here elementary kids are going back to school full time. The older grades will rotate between online and classrooms.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:17 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,287,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
A friend asks," Why is no one, apart from the people impacted actively, talking about and planning for the economic collapse when kids can't go back to 5 day/week school this fall?"

Are your state or local governments discussing it? Are your papers/news stations/news sites discussing it?

Please share anything you've read/seen/heard.
Many parents are prioritizing the health and lives of their children ahead of the economy..

Old 07-07-2020, 03:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
First of all, many people have stay at home spouses, so this won't impact them at all. For the rest, many are working in shifts. I know that's the case at my company. wfh has the advantage of flexible hours. So if the kids are in school for only 2 or 3 hours, you can still work around it. And not all childcare options are gone either. There is no collapse right now and kids aren't at school anywhere (summer). Bottom line, no collapse.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I haven't seen any problem yet, other than a few minor interruptions during a Teams or Zoom meeting when a kid photo-bombs the meeting. This is another case where those impacted are essential workers such as medical/fire who will have to depend on a spouse to be with the kids, and the low wage workers who cannot work from home at retail, hotels and restaurants and cannot afford daycare that costs more than they make. So far my co-workers are doing fine, most with both parents working from home. It's harder now that school is over for summer, before that at least part of the day the kids were with online learning. Our local school had to lend out a few hundred netbooks because some families don't have enough computers to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education